Lynx Defense

Are S&W M&P 9 full size (Gen 1) & Shield Gen 1 good pistols?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sasquatch

30 Super Carry Post Whore 2K Champ
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    try telling my 1.0 9mil that! The slide will NOT come off IF the disconnect ISN'T disengaged. I've had it for ~9 years and if will NOT disassemble any other way. 2.0 I don't need to for sure. Going thru some disassembly checks (what's not in the manual) I found this out.

lock slide back
    turn the slide disengage
    pull and hold the trigger back
    then
    slide will come off.

With these procedures, you're correct.

I don't care for compacts, although s&w doesn't label the 4" that way, but some other companies do.

You just described the takedown procedure if you don't use the lever - the only difference between an M&P & a Glock is how the takedown lever works. The Glocks have those stupid pull down nubs - M&P's, XD's, Sigs etc all have a rotating lever that's far better / easier. Only step you didn't mention was releasing the slide after rotating the takedown lever.

As for the .45 Compact - they made IIRC 4 models of .45 not counting the CORE versions in the gen 1

They had the 4.25" full grip .45 with 10+1
    They had a 4 inch barrel with full grip 10+1
    The long slide 5 inch with full grip 10+1
    and they have the Compact 4 inch, short grip 8+1 - it was the first M&P that approached the vaunted Glock 19 in dimensions. Perfect carry size - not too small, not too big, not too heavy.

Then they came out with the Shield in .45 - I don't remember if the Shield .45 was a gen 1, or if it was one of the first 2.0 guns. Never had the .45 shield as I don't like subcompact .45's much. My wife has loved both of her Shield 9's though - and it was her primary gun until she moved to a Canik TP9Sc.
    ARJ Defense ad

NikelATX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2023
    Round Rock Texas
    What are the differences between the gen 1 MPs and the gen 2 guns? I’m seriously considering a MP 9mm for my next gun, curious if there’s a reason to pick one gen over the other?

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2020
    North of Dallas
    What are the differences between the gen 1 MPs and the gen 2 guns? I’m seriously considering a MP 9mm for my next gun, curious if there’s a reason to pick one gen over the other?

IMO, there's no reason to pick M1.0 over M2.0 at this point in time.

If you're looking at the latest M2.0, you get optic-ready cut with high or low iron sights, forward cocking serrations, flat trigger, more aggressive grip texture, metal reinforcement in the frame accessory rail, extended slide stop levers and decent accuracy over the M1.0 guns.

Sasquatch

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia

Ok, not a comprehensive list but:

1.) 2.0 deletes beavertail from full size frames
    2.) All 2.0 frames have more metal in them, and they are a slightly stiffer polymer blend
    3.) all 2.0 frames have a rougher grip texture - gen 1 frames were kind of like a used bar of soap in stock form
    4.) the slide stop lever on 2.0's has an added detent to prevent auto-forward of the slide. Gen 1 guns were notorious for auto-forwarding on inserting a loaded magazine
    5.) trigger improvements - more recent 2.0's now have a solid, Glock like trigger with center dongus versus the hinged trigger that was a relic of the Sigma days.
    6.) most 2.0's sold now are CORE (optic ready) models, S&W seems to be phasing out the non-CORE models

Many parts interchange between generations but SOME are generation specific.

Backstraps from either gen fits same frame sizes.

Also gen 1 COMPACTS have now been properly deemed SUBCOMPACT in 2.0 flavor, and the 2.0 saw introduction of a 4 inch, 15 round capacity COMPACT. The Gen 1 M&P Compact is NOT the same as the 2.0 Compact, and the 2.0 Compact comes in 4 and 3.6" barrel flavors for those who like mullet guns. Full frame guns come in 4.25 and 5 inch varieties.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2020
    North of Dallas
    Also gen 1 COMPACTS have now been properly deemed SUBCOMPACT in 2.0 flavor, and the 2.0 saw introduction of a 4 inch, 15 round capacity COMPACT. The Gen 1 M&P Compact is NOT the same as the 2.0 Compact, and the 2.0 Compact comes in 4 and 3.6" barrel flavors for those who like mullet guns. Full frame guns come in 4.25 and 5 inch varieties.

Great list and I forgot this was a big deal in the M2.0 line-up. S&W finally went head-to-head against the Glock 19. Most people consider this size the do-all pistol.

NikelATX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2023
    Round Rock Texas
    Ok, not a comprehensive list but:

1.) 2.0 deletes beavertail from full size frames
    2.) All 2.0 frames have more metal in them, and they are a slightly stiffer polymer blend
    3.) all 2.0 frames have a rougher grip texture - gen 1 frames were kind of like a used bar of soap in stock form
    4.) the slide stop lever on 2.0's has an added detent to prevent auto-forward of the slide. Gen 1 guns were notorious for auto-forwarding on inserting a loaded magazine
    5.) trigger improvements - more recent 2.0's now have a solid, Glock like trigger with center dongus versus the hinged trigger that was a relic of the Sigma days.
    6.) most 2.0's sold now are CORE (optic ready) models, S&W seems to be phasing out the non-CORE models

Many parts interchange between generations but SOME are generation specific.

Backstraps from either gen fits same frame sizes.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like the 2.0 gen is the way to go. Quite a few improvements.

Sasquatch

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Great list and I forgot this was a big deal in the M2.0 line-up. S&W finally went head-to-head against the Glock 19. Most people consider this size the do-all pistol.

It was. I generally shoot M&P's better than Glocks - and I even wrote S&W multiple times asking "when Glock 19 size M&P coming out?" - took them years and years, they finally did it. I pre-ordered one when I heard it was coming. Unfortunately it was kind of disapppointing as, for me, it was not as pleasant to shoot or as accurate as a G19 for me.

My last 2.0 full size was likewise not as good of a shooter as my gen 1 M&P's were, and I did wind up trading my 2.0 full size and wound up going back to Glock.

An M&P with an Apex trigger is the cat's meow. Maybe I should've just put an Apex in my last M&P and called it good - I personally found myself consistently shooting to the right with my last 2.0, while not having the same issue with Glocks, Berettas or other guns. It was frustrating because M&P ergonomics are so much superior to the Glock.

This is what I started with as a duty pistol (the M&P on the bottom)

IMG_0635.jpeg

This is what I carry now:

IMG_0778.jpg

Funny enough my current Glock has an Apex trigger in it - it came with a gun I'd traded for. I probably should've just kept the M&P and dumped $200 for an Apex for it but until I switch back to a Beretta this Glock is about as good as it gets for my pistol shooting. Addition of the Hogue grip and the beavertail backstrap has made a big difference in Glock feel. I actually prefer the Gen 1 M&P because of the beavertail. For me, a Glock has to be Gen 4 (like this one) or 5 in order to achieve similar utility as an M&P. I don't have to break my grip on an M&P to reach the slide stop lever or the magazine release. Gen 3 and older Glocks required mods - extended controls to do that. I still run extended slide stops in every Glock. I wish someone would make a GripForce adapter for an M&P, but even Grip Force is no longer making their beavertails (but you can get Chinese knock offs on eBay, so there's that. I just cut down a factory Glock backstrap to eliminate extra thickness at the hump)

A gen 1 with an optic cut is also a good option for an M&P lover, especially if your gen 1 can be had cheap (which they typically can, because everyone wants a 2.0 now) - I had this M&P direct milled, cost $120 for the milling and another $100 for cerakote. On this specimen I also chopped the grip to the same length as the 2.0 Compact and it ran the factory 15 round mags, or 17's. It probably should've got an Apex trigger.

20211227_111855.jpg

Out of all the guns pictured though, the 92X is the most accurate, softest shooting of the bunch. Only reason I no longer have it, no one makes a level 3 duty holster for a Beretta with optic and light.

Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    I remember the Gen 1 M&P had a trigger reset that wasn't noticeable. No audible click or feeling in the trigger.

Used to have a Gen 1 Shield 9mm that would beat up my hands like a hammer. A few mags fired would make my hands hurt as if I was shooting full power 357mag. It was really unpleasant and I never bought another after that.

Sasquatch

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    I remember the Gen 1 M&P had a trigger reset that wasn't noticeable. No audible click or feeling in the trigger.

Used to have a Gen 1 Shield 9mm that would beat up my hands like a hammer. A few mags fired would make my hands hurt as if I was shooting full power 357mag. It was really unpleasant and I never bought another after that.

Gen 1 triggers had a little bit of a mushy reset - the trigger was lighter on every gen 1 sample I've owned than any Glock stock trigger I've owned. Kind of like XD's - the reset is mush but the trigger pull is lighter. Trade offs, I guess? That's why Apex found such success with M&P's - an Apex + M&P is as close to a good 1911 trigger as you can get in a striker gun - Walther's PDP trigger is very much like an Apex with an M&P.

Its interesting how different people's experience is with guns, especially small guns. The Shields are some of the only micro guns I can shoot well - my wife was a huge Shield fan for the same reason - she bought a gen 1 Shield 9, and now has the 2.0 flavor which she kept. She now prefers her TP9SC from Canik, but its an apples to oranges comparison as we're talking micro gun vs subcompact double stack. I'm also weird in that I actually like the Kel Tec P40, and got one for a song from a friend who had big gorilla hands - he said the same thing about it as you say about the Shield 9 - it beat the shit out of his hands and he hated the gun. STrangerly I found it to be one of the only .40's I *enjoyed* shooting. I have odd hands for someone my size, I've got XL size palms but stubby little fingers. My wife's fingers are the same length as mine, but my palm is considerably larger than hers. With skinny fingers I shudda been a proctologist. :roflsmile:

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas

The 2.0 has a better trigger, better texturing, has more consistent accuracy w/ 9mm, and doesn't auto forward.

The 1.0 has a longer beavertail, but I've never noticed a difference between them

Sasquatch

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    The 2.0 has a better trigger, better texturing, has more consistent accuracy w/ 9mm, and doesn't auto forward.

The 1.0 has a longer beavertail, but I've never noticed a difference between them

Gen 1's shoot flatter for me, thanks to the beavertail.

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    The only thing I didn’t like about the gen1 was the factory trigger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paknheat

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2022
    Texas, Somewhere near Palestine
    I have a full size M&P 40 and a Shield Plus.

The 40 has the original trigger in it & it shoots great. The Shield Plus has the new flat face trigger in it & it shoots great also.

I’m getting to where I prefer the M&P platform over the Glock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    I have a full size M&P 40 and a Shield Plus.

The 40 has the original trigger in it & it shoots great. The Shield Plus has the new flat face trigger in it & it shoots great also.

I’m getting to where I prefer the M&P platform over the Glock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I like you pic in your profile. Twin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom