• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Yes, just not the term. In this instance the wall-side cleat is a trapezoid shape that follows the contour of the hood surround. The vent itself attaches to the cleat body with brackets, the surround them gets hung off the cleat.

The problem is the cleat attaches to one stud that’s full length, the other stud was cutoff so the duct could clear with no bracing of any type, it was only attached to the footer.

Ended up strapping the cutoff stud to the inside of the exterior brick wall. Isn’t pretty, but it’s solid. The rest of the job is really just taping up the duct, then hang the surround, then the chimney surround, and clean up, but it’ll be done.

I swear, every time I go back to fix a cosmetic issue in this house it turns into a remodel just to fix something structural or shoddy construction/installation work. I don’t have it in me to build from ground up, but that seems to be the only way to get it done the right way the first time.
    Feel that pain.

After the May 2021 storm damage to the lake house not one of the tradesmen I hired was worthy of the term here in Arkansas.

When I retired from building in 2019, I could have made a living just fixing kitchen cabinets in 2 year old, 2 million dollar homes in our area of Houston, without ever leaving the neighborhood.

What I experienced up here made that shoddy work in Houston look like master's of the art ...

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    ...not one of the tradesmen I hired was worthy of the term...
    I remember an article in the Houston Press a very long time (decades) ago where they profiled a builder who actually built quality homes. Everything was crafted to the highest standard by masters. He didn't sell homes, he sold "doing it right" down to the last detail.

It was a very niche market. He made a great living at it but few people were willing to pay the price. His houses, iirc, typically cost twice as much as other houses that were double the size.

I've heard it said many times that building a house isn't conceptually hard. Any dedicated, reasonably intelligent person can do it and produce better quality than is found in an above average suburban development. The problem, of course, is that it would take that dedicated future homeowner a decade to build their dream.

Fast, cheap, good. Pick two.

For every house and apartment I've looked at over the last 50 years, fast and cheap were the default selection. Good quality didn't get a nanosecond of consideration.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    I remember an article in the Houston Press a very long time (decades) ago where they profiled a builder who actually built quality homes. Everything was crafted to the highest standard by masters. He didn't sell homes, he sold "doing it right" down to the last detail.

It was a very niche market. He made a great living at it but few people were willing to pay the price. His houses, iirc, typically cost twice as much as other houses that were double the size.

I've heard it said many times that building a house isn't conceptually hard. Any dedicated, reasonably intelligent person can do it and produce better quality than is found in an above average suburban development. The problem, of course, is that it would take that dedicated future homeowner a decade to build their dream.

Fast, cheap, good. Pick two.

For every house and apartment I've looked at over the last 50 years, fast and cheap were the default selection. Good quality didn't get a nanosecond of consideration.

Today it's unskilled, give a hoot, labor; plantation grown, poorly dried construction lumber; a lack of competent supervision; and Build Back Better BS

... dead on arrival.

Top Bottom