Texas Gun Forum Ad
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What does an NFA trust actually look like?

I recently just got a lawyer to take care of my will and court needs through my company and now want to add some NFA firearms to my collection (suppressors and short barrelled rifles/shotguns).

Is an NFA trust a document that has each firearm listed to me and my trustee?

I want to take care of my trust before purchasing any NFA items. Or should I purchase them first and THEN have my lawyer create the NFA trust?

Thank you in advance.
    "Announcing your plans is a good way to hear God laugh." -A.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Al SwearengenŽ View Post
    I recently just got a lawyer to take care of my will and court needs through my company and now want to add some NFA firearms to my collection (suppressors and short barrelled rifles/shotguns).

Is an NFA trust a document that has each firearm listed to me and my trustee?

I want to take care of my trust before purchasing any NFA items. Or should I purchase them first and THEN have my lawyer create the NFA trust?

Thank you in advance.
    Each item must be listed on the trust.

First you need your trust, & then send off for the tax stamp, before it comes in you can not take possesion of the class III items....even though you will most likely have to pay for the item
    before you send off for the stamp.

Although I suppose in reality you could go & pay for the items before you do anything....depending on your reasoning.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
    -Will Rogers

Im a big fan of the .22LR for bear defense.
    Just shoot the guy next to you in the knee and run like heck.

"An eagle doesn't need to show his talons..."

I just got everything finalized on mine-shipping paperwork this week, if there's time away from work.

There's the trust itself, which among 35 or so pages of legalese, lists trustees, beneficiaries, etc. That part doesn't mention your class III weapons.

Then the Schedule A (I think it's an attachment to the trust) lists the assets of the trust.

The way I did mine, I got the trust, had it notarized. Then the can came in and I added the Make, Model and SN of my can on the Schedule A. I filled out the Form 4 with the Trust information instead of my own name, and included a copy of the notarized trust (Sean Cody told me to keep the original notarized copy, and never give that one to anyone- this conflicted with advice from others, but he the attorney.)

The thing is, if you submit a Form 4 with your name on it, then decided to put it on your trust, it has to be transferred with another form 4 and another $200.

I've always wonder how the steps works. I'm a procedural type of guy. Thanks for the responses guys.
    "Announcing your plans is a good way to hear God laugh." -A.S.

There is no such animal as an "NFA Trust".

All that is required is a revocable living trust. Lawyers (and the ignorant) keep hammering the "NFA Trust" term, but again, as long as it's a revocable living trust it'll meet the requirements.
    "Tactical" is a mindset, not an equipment list.

Home | Forum | Blog | ❏ PicPaste | ☎ Nalioth

Yes, it will - as long as it's properly executed. Improperly executed, you're in a world of hurt. But do whatever you're comfortable with.
    The Texas Redneck
    Gruene H.O.G.
    FLHTCUI - Red, of course!
    NRA Benefactor Member * PGR * TSRA Life
    "In the shadow of the Alamo, any man looks small!"
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Quote Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
    Yes, it will - as long as it's properly executed. Improperly executed, you're in a world of hurt. But do whatever you're comfortable with.
    There is no difference between an "NFA trust" and a "revocable living trust". "NFA trust" is just another name for it. To be valid, a trust (whatever it's name) has to be properly executed, and there is no guarantee that just because you're getting an "NFA trust", that it will be so.

Nalioth, are you just trying to get your post count up, or do you actually have something to add to the conversation? Most folks refer to 'em as "NFA Trusts" because that's the intent of the Trust - to "house" NFA firearms. You can call it whatever the blazes you want to - just stop bustin' chops over words. And unless ANY legal document is properly set up and executed, it's no good....
    The Texas Redneck
    Gruene H.O.G.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Quote Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
    Nalioth, are you just trying to get your post count up, or do you actually have something to add to the conversation? Most folks refer to 'em as "NFA Trusts" because that's the intent of the Trust - to "house" NFA firearms. You can call it whatever the blazes you want to - just stop bustin' chops over words. And unless ANY legal document is properly set up and executed, it's no good....
    I guess I'm trying to day that "You shouldn't pay any more for an "NFA Trust" than you would for a "revocable living trust". You know, watch out for paying extra for the same thing?

So why not just say that? And are you an attorney? Because frankly, if not, how do you know that they're the exact same?
    The Texas Redneck
    Gruene H.O.G.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast