Texas Gun Forum Ad
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

oil filter suppressor issue

If anybody is using the oil filter suppressor there's a issue that will effect accuracy and sound.

If you look up construction of the filter you'll notice that its a paper element inside a metal housing. That just hangs from the base end.

Now here's the problem. The filter isn't attached to the end where the bullet exits. After one shot the hole is dead center in both the filter base and outside canaster. However, the filter base inside moves around.

So before you pop the first hole through the filter. Run two or three screws through the end of the outside canaster to hold the inside filter base in place. Otherwise, bullet strikes from the inside filter base jiggling around will happen.

The screws have no impact on sound. Nor do they leak gas.
    Don't IRS me, bra!

Lifetime Supporter

Re: oil filter suppressor issue

Uh?

Thanks?

Sorry....but jury-rigging at that level is, IMO, nothing more than a HUGE accident waiting to blow up in your face.
    The Texas Redneck
    Gruene H.O.G.
    FLHTCUI - Red, of course!
    NRA Benefactor Member * PGR * TSRA Life
    "In the shadow of the Alamo, any man looks small!"
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."Benjamin Franklin, 1759

tad

who the hell even jacks around with that kinda crap?? I think most people here have enough sense and enough stamps to know better than to risk

Well, now easy there, Chiefy!<G> I can see where folks wantin' to play around with stuff might do so - for me, there's too many questions (is the adapter the suppression device, or the filter - because if it's the filter, you'll have to get a new stamp every time you replace it - an' they don't last many rounds, I'm bettin'.

I CAN see where someone on a remote ranch might set one up just for grins.....me, ah'm too paranoid to do so without havin' all the "I'"'s dotted an' "T"'s crossed!
    The Texas Redneck
    Gruene H.O.G.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Well, that addresses the registration question - guess it's one of those "well, why not?" things....
    The Texas Redneck
    Gruene H.O.G.

TR I think the adapter is the device you get the stamp for, the oil filter is an expendable and replaceable part. Any decent machine shop would make on for you without any questions asked for a lot less than what they charge. Just tell em' it's a part for the hot-rod you are building. Legally and ethically that is a whole different discussion, LOL.
    “Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.” ~ Albert Einstein

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom — go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" ~Samuel Adams

True - but if ATF pops you on it an' you roll over on the machine shop that did the work, I'd doubt you'd want to meet up w/'em again.....lol!!
    The Texas Redneck
    Gruene H.O.G.

Machine shop: "that bastard told me it was for a race car?!?!?!? I don't make stuff for guns officer. That shit's too precise and complicated...".
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.

Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast