Texas Gun Forum Ad
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Gimme Back My Bullets!

Right handed, Left Eye Dominate

I have never personally encounter this before. My wife holds her handgun in her right hand and uses her left eye to aim. She is a damn good shot for a beginner and actually good enough, most people would think she was not a beginner. A little research, i found this is not so uncommon and some competition shooters actually do it.

She has never fired a rifle. I have tried to get her to fire them, but she is so uncomfortable trying to aim with her right eye, she will not pull the trigger and it is almost impossible to get comfortable (and maybe not safe) to lean over the stock and aim with the left eye.

I'm thinking left handed rifle? Anyone right handers here ever use a left hand rifle? I'm thinking maybe a cheap left hand rifle to see if it will even work, since she thinks it would be awkward using her left index to pull the trigger.
    Cheer up, the worse is yet to come.

Gimme Back My Bullets!

Re: Right handed, Left Eye Dominate

I know I mis-spelled dominant, so no spelling jokes.

I have the same situation. I shoot handguns right handed and long guns left handed. I only buy right handed guns though. That is what I learned on and what is comfortable to me. Since she is fairly new to shooting maybe a left handed long gun will work fine for her. I believe cross dominance is pretty common.
    Quote Originally Posted by Younggun View Post
    You aren't a big deal, just a guy on the Internet. Try to remember that.
    Yes, sometimes I am no help at all.

Gimme Back My Bullets!

Quote Originally Posted by Dawico View Post
    I have the same situation. I shoot handguns right handed and long guns left handed. I only buy right handed guns though. That is what I learned on and what is comfortable to me. Since she is fairly new to shooting maybe a left handed long gun will work fine for her. I believe cross dominance is pretty common.
    Do you use a right handed rifle and use your left hand as the trigger finger? (Holding a right hand rifle on your left shoulder) I'm assuming an auto would work and a Bolt would just be a mess.

She will shoot my 12ga right handed, but she just points it.

Saw this a lot in the Corps, have her try and shoot left handed and see how she likes that, remember there is no wrong way to shoot as long as you feel comfortable, are putting the rounds where they need to go, and doing all this with the safety rules in mind. I have a good friend of mine who is left handed but has adapted to being in a right hand dominant world, learned to play guitar right handed because they were always around and didn't wanna go the Jimi Hendrix route, actually made him have this crazy weird but awesome rhythm.
    Proud Texan, Born And Raised

I tried alittle left handed rifle shooting, felt awkward as hell but depending on the stock she should be able to try it out on a right handed rifle and know if she is comfortable or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." Samual Adams

I LOVE MY COUNTRY AND MY STATE. IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH EITHER YOU ARE MORE THAN WELCOME TO GTFO

Gimme Back My Bullets!

I remember in basic, the lefties using brass deflectors that stayed on for a few rounds and blew off or stayed on and jammed the 16. She will not shoot the 30-06 period just from viewing the recoil. She would shoot the sks I have, but it tends to toss brass in my face if I shoot it left handed.

I don't understand so much because I shoot right handed straight up. Right hand, right shoulder, right eye.

Quote Originally Posted by chris211 View Post
    Do you use a right handed rifle and use your left hand as the trigger finger? (Holding a right hand rifle on your left shoulder) I'm assuming an auto would work and a Bolt would just be a mess.
    Yes, I hold a right handed rifle and shotgun on my left shoulder. Actually it works very well for me. I keep my left hand on the grip and use my right hand to work the bolt. With a normal hunting rifle and enough arm strength it works very well. A bull barrel makes the process a little more complicated as it is hard to hold up the rifle but it can be done. With right handed autoloaders I have never been hit by brass in the face.

Like I said, it is how I learned. It seems natural to me. I don't even switch safeties around like you can on some guns. That way I can pick up almost any gun and be ready to fire it.keep everything the same and avoid confusion.

Try holding a rifle to your left shoulder and use your right hand to work the bolt. It will feel awkward because it is the wrong shoulder for you but the bolt manipulation will feel normal.

Gimme Back My Bullets!

I am trying to avoid confusion for her, it's just hard for me to understand right hand left eye.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast