Texas Gun Forum Ad
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Question what are texas laws concerning stun guns for personal safety?

I bought a stun gun for personal safety. it's 950KV. is that legal in Texas? i went down to the local gun shop, they said it was. I wanted to ask here and make sure. They also said to be sure not to bring it inside a courthouse or government buillding. i'm ok with that. but it got me to thinking. i'd really like to know exactly where i'm not permitted to have one of these on my person. Mine conviniently comes with a belt holster, i just got to make sure its legal, and need to know where i must leave it behind to avoid getting into hassle. don't want any hassle from this, just want to protect myself in case i'm ever attacked.

thanks so much.

p.s. got some pepper spray too.

While I'm not gonna dissuade you from thoughts of personal safety, I will share one thought with you concerning stun guns.

You have to be close enough to touch your attacker for it to work.

Mosted Hated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nalioth View Post
    While I'm not gonna dissuade you from thoughts of personal safety, I will share one thought with you concerning stun guns.

You have to be close enough to touch your attacker for it to work.
    yeah, stun guns are rarely effective either. not NEAR to the extent you see TASERS
    "Remember those who died, remember those who killed them."- Max Joseph

"Speed is fine, but accuracy is final"-Bill Jordan

i realize these things. i also ordered a pepper spray thing. i do not wish to get a handgun license. i realize that with those two, i should be protected, unless they have a gun.

i guess its legal though right? i was told it was. i just wanted to double check. also wanted to know, where not to carry the stun gun (on my small holster) to avoid any hassle.

thank you

I personally would not carry the stun gun anywhere.

I do carry pepper spray, as a less-than-lethal alternative.

I am a certified instructor on Pepper Spray (OC) and Taser. A touch stun device will incapacitate your grandmother and really piss off a determined attacker. You will likely end up with an electric suppository.

I don't recall seeing anything in the penal code prohibiting them, but I would still recommend a firearm for personal protection.

Quote Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
    I am a certified instructor on Pepper Spray (OC) and Taser. A touch stun device will incapacitate your grandmother and really piss off a determined attacker. You will likely end up with an electric suppository.
    Send me the info on your class, love for my wife to take it!
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on to them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free". -Ronald Wilson Reagan

Question

Quote Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
    it will anger a determined attacker. will it deter them enough from a repeated attack ?

my unit is a 950KV dragon fire.

also, if i had pepper spray both pepper spray and a stun gun on me, what might be the order of use in terms of preference, in terms, if someone were to attack me ? i tend to want to reach for the stun gun, since it sits on my belt holster, pepper spray would likely be in my pocket on a key chain. which would take a little more time, if someone were to try and hurt me. chances are if someone were to attack me, they would do so because i'd be defending my own property, being my laptop that i lug around with me, or my wallet. i realize i can't use either the stun gun or the pepper spray, until a hand or weapon is raised in a gesture as to harm. so any struggle for my laptop, or wallet, is "fair game" (thats correct right? trying to dearm me of my laptop in theft is not grounds for use of a stun gun alone until they try and hurt me), i suppose *until they use force*, which i'm sure they may, because those sorts of people are desperate.

i am a mentally disabled individual, for that reason, i cannot get a gun license.

i understand that its legal to carry except in a courtroom or government office. so i'm ok with that.

i've been making efforts to get out of the house lately and go have bites to eat at eateries and things, and actively go to doctors appointments, instead of putting them off, and trying to go to coffee shops, to help get my over my anxiety problems. i have encounted, not all the time, but at certain times, certain people, that look, somewhat spooky, in that they look like if given the right time opportunity, that might be inclined to take advantage of other people. and seeing as i lug around a laptop with me, i figured i'd be an easy target. since i'm not strong, and i run into these scary looking people, i thought i'd try and help defend myself, because i know there are people in the world that are actually, impulsive,desperate, and stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by ririan View Post
    will it deter them enough from a repeated attack ?
    Several year ago, a HPD officer I know was involved in an indecent with a "guy with a gun". Several officer, were on the scene with this "guy" who was jacked up on drugs, was taking shots. It turned into a gun fight that finally had the guy n his knees after 10-15 rounds to the body. He was still shooting, just not as accurately. If I recall, he said they guy ended up with 28 rounds in his body when he finally gave up the ghost.

I think it's great to have a weapon for protection, but having multiples to use in progression may not be very effective to use. I don't know the laws, but I'd start digging through Texas Penal code to know for sure.

Good luck to you.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast