Texas Gun Forum Ad
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Texas State Parks

May I use my CHL in state parks? The reason I ask is the only thing I have found so far refering to firearms in state parks Reads "no" to me.

(f) Arms and Firearms.
    It is an offense to:
    1. possess a firearm with a cartridge or projectile in any portion of the mechanism, except when authorized by the commission or the director;
    2. display a firearm, except when authorized by the director; and
    3. discharge across, in, or into a state park any arm, firearm, or device capable of injuring or killing any person or animal or damaging or destroying public or private property except when authorized by the director.

Mosted Hated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    May I use my CHL in state parks? The reason I ask is the only thing I have found so far refering to firearms in state parks Reads "no" to me.

(f) Arms and Firearms.
    It is an offense to:
    1. possess a firearm with a cartridge or projectile in any portion of the mechanism, except when authorized by the commission or the director;
    2. display a firearm, except when authorized by the director; and
    3. discharge across, in, or into a state park any arm, firearm, or device capable of injuring or killing any person or animal or damaging or destroying public or private property except when authorized by the director.
    Yes you can carry in Texas state parks.

On July 8, 1998, Texas Parks and Wildlife Executive Director, Andrew Sansom signed Executive Director Order No. 98-001 which reads as follows:

Nothing in the Public Hunting Lands Proclamation or State Parks Proclamation prohibits a person from possessing a concealed handgun, loaded or unloaded, under the authority of a concealed handgun license issued by this state or any other state. Persons carrying concealed handguns must comply with all concealed handgun laws
    "Remember those who died, remember those who killed them."- Max Joseph

"Speed is fine, but accuracy is final"-Bill Jordan

+2 Been wondering that myself but never took the time to look it up.
    Join us as we remind the obamanation what we stand for
    www.secondamendmentmarch.com
    Beyond Bitter, now I am pissed
    I know how many I own, not enough...
    Tax Revolt, I refuse to pay for someone to be on welfare anymore.

RPB
    SOME State Parks are on Corps of Engineers property, the Corps states

http://www.swf-wc.usace.army.mil/belton/faq.asp

May I have a firearm in the park? A concealed handgun permit is not valid on Federal property. The possession of a firearm and/or ammunition is prohibited.

So, Lake Whitney, and WHITNEY STATE PARK .... (State Parks where the land is C.O.E. property ...

Here's corps property list, so we know not to go there
    http://corpslakes.usace.army.mil/visitors/states.cfm?state=TX
    IANL = I AM NO LAWYER

So if you don't have a CHL license, your defenseless? If you are traveling, is it OK to be covered in the vehicle, unloaded?

Quote Originally Posted by Major Woody View Post
    So if you don't have a CHL license, your defenseless? If you are traveling, is it OK to be covered in the vehicle, unloaded?
    <Corrected>

As of February 2010, you can take concealed handguns into National Parks if you have a valid CHL for the state in which the park resides (note it doesn't have to be from the state, just that it "comply with the firearms laws of the park's home state"

RPB
    Replies I've received so far (none from the COE itself yet, but it's in the FAQs, so I won't carry on COE property)

I also checked National Parks, since they'll honor CHLs AFTER February 22, 2010 when the credit card law goes into effect.

These are the replies I got, but they still have not addressed about: I can fish and carry from the bank at a State Park in a Corps lake, but if I wade fish in the Corps lake, wading out from the State Park shore, I can't carry (or launch a kayak there)

---------------
    Good Morning,
    The National Park Service and the US Army Corps of Engineers are two
    separate government agencies. For more information: www.nps.gov or
    US Army Corps of Engineers - HQ

Thank you for using nps.gov

---
    I'll be happy to assist you with this issue.
    The National Parks are managed by the National Park Service, none by the
    ACOE.
    Sincerely,
    Ginny
    Recreation.gov
    ----------
    Thank you for taking the time to contact the Office of the Governor. We understand that you are
    concerned.
    I am asking Carter Smith, Executive Director of the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, for
    his staff’s assistance in reviewing and responding both to you and this office on the information
    shared.
    Please let us know whenever we may be of service in the future.
    ---------
    Thank you for your interest in the Texas State Parks.

I did find a link for the Army Corps of Engineers Parks in Texas at U.S. Army Corps of Engineers - Corps Parks

I can not speak on the Rules and Regulations regarding handguns in these parks, however the Texas State Parks policy is as follows: A person can carry a loaded concealed handgun in Texas State Parks with a current and valid CHL license at anytime. Please remember that you must continue to follow all CHL rules while carrying in State Parks.

If you need further information, please contact the Law Enforcement Division. We hope to see you at a Texas State Park soon.

Park Information
    Texas Parks and Wildlife
    Ph: 512-389-8900
    IANL = I AM NO LAWYER

Speaking of CHL holders carrying on Federal Land, I think borrowing a term from a sicko situation might be in order... "Don't ask, Don't tell"....and Don't get caught !!! But considering the value you put on your life and/or your family's lives, it is better to be tried by twelve than carried by six...In the case of the Fort Hood massacre one might wonder if there were more CHLs and legal on base might the mass murderer swine been brought down sooner ? We will never know .....
    Si Vas Pacem, Para Bellum

NRA Lifer Since 1968
    Former 36th Div., TNG
    Former USMC

Quote Originally Posted by cuate View Post
    Speaking of CHL holders carrying on Federal Land, I think borrowing a term from a sicko situation might be in order... "Don't ask, Don't tell"....and Don't get caught !!! But considering the value you put on your life and/or your family's lives, it is better to be tried by twelve than carried by six...In the case of the Fort Hood massacre one might wonder if there were more CHLs and legal on base might the mass murderer swine been brought down sooner ? We will never know .....
    Even suggesting to illegally carry on Federal property is treading on dangerous ground, get caught and prosecuted and it's a Federal conviction. If you are in the military and get caught, you can pretty much consider it the end of your career. I've seen it happen, but the individual was an idiot to begin with and it was inevitable he'd do something stupid.

Inasmuch as I don't agree with the rules and regulations, the consequences of breaking them is too great to even consider doing it...

Mosted Hated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cuate View Post
    OK, I am now on board with this "concealed means concealed" and "better judged by twelve than carried by six" idiocy. Let's all become law breakers. If it suits ME, screw the law.
    "Remember those who died, remember those who killed them."- Max Joseph

"Speed is fine, but accuracy is final"-Bill Jordan

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast