Texas Gun Forum Ad
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Concealed Carry on School Premises

Quote Originally Posted by clicker View Post
    I dont see how you are getting that I dont think they shouldnt be allowed? I just want the person defending my child prepared should the situation arise. "Fight like you train" comes to mind.
    From here.

Just because you can doesnt mean you should. Training should be a priority and one day at the range every year or so isnt going to cut it.
    Yet that training is sufficient for you to allow them to carry in public?

Training that the majority of them do not want to go through. So do we just let any teacher carry at school or do we train and designate a select few? I could see some bad things happening with just letting anyone that works at FWISD have a weapon at school.
    "Letting" them carry at work. Do you?

Again, you trust them with your kids lives in many other ways. I fail to see the reasoning behind not allowing them the opportunity to defend themselves.
    What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?

The argument is more training for TEACHERS that want to carry at school and if they should be required to do additional training to do so. Defending your family at home has nothing to do with this.

The argument is more training for TEACHERS that want to carry at school and if they should be required to do additional training to do so. Defending your family at home has nothing to do with this.
    Yet there is no additional training requirement for the other ways teachers are entrusted with your children's lives. Ways that have zero to do with the education of kids.
    What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?

Quote Originally Posted by winchster View Post
    Yet there is no additional training requirement for the other ways teachers are entrusted with your children's lives. Ways that have zero to do with the education of kids.
    Yes actually there is. Its called continuing education and they are required to perform xx amount of hours per year. And last time I checked it was still illegal to carry at school. At least here it is so "letting" them with the stipulation of additional training isnt a bad way to start the ball rolling.

I believe that a CHL holder should be allowed to carry everywhere they go. "Gun-free zones" are just a place where you are vulnerable to the nutcases with a gun!

Yes actually there is. Its called continuing education and they are required to perform xx amount of hours per year. And last time I checked it was still illegal to carry at school. At least here it is so "letting" them with the stipulation of additional training isnt a bad way to start the ball rolling.
    CE, doesn't even touch what I am talking about and you know it. ( as background, both my parents are teachers and so is my wife )
    Teachers transport kids in vehicles all the time, by your logic they should have to attend a professional driving school first.

The most likely situation I can think of where a teacher is able to defend themselves during an active shooting event puts a teacher behind a classroom door and the bad guy trying to enter.

How much training does a person need when a bad guy is trying to breach a classroom door to defend that classroom?

Trained personnel call that entryway a funnel of death or fatal funnel for a reason.

Even if that's not the case, have you seen how little resistance is needed to change the mind of an active shooter?

Study up and you'll find ANY armed resistance saves lives even without super SWAT teachers with guns.
    Last edited by matefrio; 03-03-2013 at 07:21 PM.
    A "gun free zone" is tyrannies playground.
    I carry a gun to give me options, not a single solution.

School districts can allow employees to carry. I also think you are underestimating the teachers. I tend to think that if the teacher is a CHL holder, they would already have the desire to practice. IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by ikmguy View Post
    Thank you all for your good feedback. Can you point me to [or at least toward] the state law allowing concealed carry in school buildings? I found that Birdwell instroduced a bill S.B. No. 182 to allow concealed carry onuniversity campuses in Jan 2013. It there already an equivalent bill for K-12?
    This isn't the entire statute, but I've cut/pasted the important part:
    Sec. 46.03. PLACES WEAPONS PROHIBITED. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly possesses or goes with a firearm, illegal knife, club, or prohibited weapon listed in Section 46.05(a):
    (1) on the physical premises of a school or educational institution, any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by a school or educational institution is being conducted, or a passenger transportation vehicle of a school or educational institution, whether the school or educational institution is public or private, unless pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the institution;

clicker
    I dont see how you are getting that I dont think they shouldnt be allowed? I just want the person defending my child prepared should the situation arise. "Fight like you train" comes to mind.
    Would I love to have retired SEALs and Secret Service agents teaching my kids? Yes. What do we have instead? Mere mortals who are doing the best they can to teach my kids (that's why we call them "teachers") amidst budget cuts and allegations that they don't care.

My mom is a retired teacher, and I know we would have had a lot more money at home if she hadn't spent so much of it buying supplies and equipment and books that had no use outside the classroom.

As it stands now, my kids are arguably safer outside the school, where the opinions of a school board do not have anything to do with whether I or their teacher can defend them with a gun, than they are inside the school, where the school board can decide that a successful completion of a state-regulated and mandated course of instruction is not good enough.

The law is there: "...unless pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the institution;". The legislature put the decision on the individual school boards as to whether to allow armed people in their schools, and how to do it.

phil

Phil, I am gonna use your post for an out on this one. You guys have certainly made some good points (some very good some not so much) but I know when I have been beat ��

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast