Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ways to improve Kel-Tec .380 P3AT reliability?

I'm seeing that it has FTE, FTF, etc. problems right out of the box.
    I'm getting one delivered soon...and want to correct those issues.
    I wish I had not ordered it, since finding out that the slide does NOT stay open at last round...Damn It ~!!!
    But can you guys more knowledgeable in tweaking internals help me with dependability modifications, PLEASE?
    In homage to the Navy SEAL Teams...I nearly had that honor, but never became one.

I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same.

Re: Ways to improve Kel-Tec .380 P3AT reliability?

Lol. Sell it new in box and buy the ruger.
    Curse me now but thanks me later. I have had three of those doppy little guns.
    1 for me 1 for wife and 1 out for repair.
    Now I have two rugers that have over 300 rounds each and zero failures.
    I'm a Little Teacup

Mikewood,
    TOO LATE~!!, I traded for it and can NOT Stop the Delivery~!!!
    I can not sell it for what I "paid" for it...OK?

I have heard that there are FIXES owners (with a bit of tinkering) can do. I Have that ability...If I Knew About Them...
    In homage to the Navy SEAL Teams...I nearly had that honor, but never became one.

I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same.

there's a kel-tek users forum. just google search. I owned a jam-o-matic pf9, bought it used from tgt. previous owner said it was good to go. I tried to get that pistol reliable but gave up and sold it for a loss, with the disclaimer it was a jammer.

I also have a P3AT, which as been flawless right out of the box. It does need a good lube every 150 rounds or so. Also people perform the "fluff and buff". I did not have to. I also own the LCP and that has also been flawless.

Personally, I'm done with both the LCP and P3AT because of the LONNNGGGGG trigger pulls on both of them. They'll be hitting the for sale section just as soon as I can buy and verify I have a reliable replacement for them.. The Kahr P380 or maybe even the Sig
    Stuff For Sale http://forsale.wcptexas.com
    NRA Lifetime Member

I am eyeballing the sig 938
    I'm a Little Teacup

i have one, and my father has one... we have had NO ISSUES... if you do have issues the Kel-Tec people have great custom service, and will help you in any way they can so if you have issues call them, and they will get you straightened out!!

or you could buy the knock off ruger and have them same potential problems, as its the same damn design...

You won't know if it needs to be fixed until you get it and run the things through it's paces. heavyzee is correct about the LCP, I have seen just as many problems with them as I have the Kel-tecs. My current P3AT works fine, but it is what it is. The quality of the P3AT, LCP, and DB380 is about the same and all have similar price points. If you want to move up in quality look to the Kahr P380.
    Jon Payne
    Suarez International Staff Instructor
    TX CHL Instructor Southeast TX

Thanks...I'm coming to think that most issues are from "limp wristing" ei., not being able to grip it tightly with the small frame. I am a good polisher and am looking forward to it~!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikewood View Post
    Lol. Sell it new in box and buy the ruger.
    Why, the bolt doesn't stay open on the LCR either! For that feature, you need a Taurus TCP!

I had a P3AT and hated every aspect of it. It put my off .380s for a while until I took a chance on the TCP. It is a completely different pistol in all regards and 1000 times better!

The best way to improve the P3AT is to sell it and replace it with a TCP!

Cheers! M2
    When you're wounded and left on Afghanistan's plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Jest roll to your rifle and blow out your brains
    An' go to your Gawd like a soldier!

The SW body guard stays open on last round too.

But I HATE shooting it. I just can't do it. I've got about 400 rounds through my P238 so far so good. And it is fun to shoot...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast