Texas Gun Forum Ad

View Poll Results: Mainspring housing preference?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Flat

28 62.22%
  • Arched

13 28.89%
  • Bobtail because I'm difficult.

2 4.44%
  • What's a 1911? (I like Blocks.)

2 4.44%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

1911 mainspring housing preference - flat or arched?

I just ordered an arched housing and some Hogue grips for my Taurus. One, I don't like the flat housing, it's so... flat. My P220 feels so much better in the hand. I think the arch will help out, since that's one of the big differences between a Sig grip and the pre-A1 grip.

The Hogue grips are because the thin plastic panels that Taurus shipped this pistol suck. They're actually kind of collapsed just below the top screw area. And they're too thin. My hands need more grip to hold onto....
    Don't mind me, I'm just making sure I'm on all of the watch lists.

I prefer flat (but arched feels good also) and I think I'd really like a bobtail. Seriously considering getting a bobtail put on my Colt Commander by a good smith.
    If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague. ....
    It takes a lot of balls to golf the way I do. ////

On the 1911s I have owned I changed one or to to flats and really prefer them, don't have large hands. The Springfield Ultra Compact I now have has the arched mainspring housing. Too much bother to change...
    Si Vas Pacem, Para Bellum

NRA Lifer Since 1968
    Former 36th Div., TNG
    Former USMC

I prefer the flat, but am also really fond of the bobtail on my commander.
    Chris

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.” Will Rogers

I used to like the arched mainspring housing until I got a colt with a flat housing. Since then I have changed all to the flat housing, and bought a bobtail, that I really love.
    For me, I shoot my 1911's the best with a flat mainspring housing and a long trigger.
    Does it feel like you shoot just so you'll have something to reload?

Flat is fine.
    Hate the arched.
    Would LOVE to have a bob-tail.

I love the arched. If you can find arched and checkered, those are the best. Serrated are kinda slippery. But My palms are like my feet, arched, and I can't do without a glove-like fit.
    The flat's are alright but they leave a possibility for hand meat to get bruised by sharp edges.
    "In the absence of formal orders, find something and kill it." -Erwin Rommel

Quote Originally Posted by dobarker View Post
    I love the arched. If you can find arched and checkered, those are the best. Serrated are kinda slippery. But My palms are like my feet, arched, and I can't do without a glove-like fit.
    The flat's are alright but they leave a possibility for hand meat to get bruised by sharp edges.
    Hmm, that might be why I like the pronounced arch in a Sig and am looking for the same in a 1911. I'm a mechanic and have over-developed thumb muscles that give my palm a lot of "shape".

I should have run this poll before I ordered the arched mainspring housing! I could have begged one off of these guys.

I've looked at instructions for the swap and it doesn't look too involved. I'll do it myself. Then again "involved" is kind of subjective I guess. Pulling the engine out of a Toureg? Now that is involved in my book.

It's a simple process. all you need is 2 punches and a vise. 1 punch the diameter or smaller of the spring retainer pin and the other punch should be beefy enough to push in the mainspring.
    Process:
    Assuming you can figure out how to drift out the mainspring pin at the bottom of the frame and slide the mainspring off.
    -Insert larger punch into vice and secure with punch facing up.
    -Place old mainspring housing upside down on vice held punch and with hand around the housing, press down.
    -(While maintaining a firm hold on the housing) Using the smaller punch, push out the mainspring retainer pin and gently lift up.

All the guts of the housing should come out, then just throw them into the new housing and use the same procedure to re-insert the retainer pin.
    "In the absence of formal orders, find something and kill it." -Erwin Rommel

Thanks! I'm pretty sure I can handle it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast