Texas Gun Forum Ad
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What is the legal way to carry a handgun to your car without a CHL

So the title is pretty straightforward. Its my understanding that it is legal to carry a concealed handgun in your vehicle without a permit, but what is the legal way to transport it to and from your vehicle?

Can you just walk with it in your hand by your side? What is the proper way to do this.

Re: What is the legal way to carry a handgun to your car without a CHL

I would conceal it when taking it to and from the car - not because I don't think you should be able to carry it - but because less people know it's in your vehicle. Never know who you can trust on the street.

I don't believe there are any other actual legal limitations as long as you are not threatening anyone with it.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

There is no legally required method for carriage of a handgun to and from your car from your residence (or other place legal to possess it).

You can juggle it with the spare mags.

You can balance it on your head.

You can stick it in your back pocket.

You can carry it in an IWB holster.

You can carry it in a cowboy rig.

As said, there is no legally prescribed method.

Be wary of folks offering their opinions as law.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Penal Code Ch 46
    Sec. 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:

(1) on the person's own premises or premises under the person's control; or

(2) inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person's control.

(a-1) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun in a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person's control at any time in which:

(1) the handgun is in plain view; or

(2) the person is:

(A) engaged in criminal activity, other than a Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating traffic;

(B) prohibited by law from possessing a firearm; or

(C) a member of a criminal street gang, as defined by Section 71.01.

(a-2) For purposes of this section, "premises" includes real property and a recreational vehicle that is being used as living quarters, regardless of whether that use is temporary or permanent. In this subsection, "recreational vehicle" means a motor vehicle primarily designed as temporary living quarters or a vehicle that contains temporary living quarters and is designed to be towed by a motor vehicle. The term includes a travel trailer, camping trailer, truck camper, motor home, and horse trailer with living quarters.

(b) Except as provided by Subsection (c), an offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.

The law
    "Tactical" is a mindset, not an equipment list.

Home | Forum | Blog | ❏ PicPaste | ☎ Nalioth

I say you carry it in your hand, loaded, and pointed at any one within 50 yards of you:lol:
    Whenever you get mad as hell about it all, grab your rifle and head outside. If you are the only one there...it's not time yet.....
    :texas:

Their was a time when the American people roared like lions for liberty; now they bleat like sheep for security.

:lol:

Some of the advice given on TGT may not be suitable for actual use.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

people will break into your car for the littlest things. i wouldnt put it past someone who needed a gun for a crime to follow you to the store and take it. better to be discreet.

so wait, let me get this straight... if I am in a criminal gang yet not ever convicted of a crime personally I am not allowed to participate in drive bys legally?
    I apologize for expressing my opinon, I will try not to let it happen again...

Quote Originally Posted by leonidas View Post
    I say you carry it in your hand, loaded, and pointed at any one within 50 yards of you:lol:
    Don't forget to yell "bang bang bang, got you!"

Banned

If you own the property you parked on, you can carry it any way you want.
    If it's a apartment parking lot, you have to conceal the handgun.
    Inside the vehicle the law is out of plain view from outside of the vehicle.
    If you get pulled over and asked, simply say I have nothing illegal in the car. If you get out, lock the doors and never consent to a search.

Mosted Hated Member

Again, more bad advice in this thread.

The law does NOT require the handgun be concealed while "enroute to" your vehicle for non-CHL carry.

I would not follow the internet advice of someone about what to tell the police "if asked".
    "Remember those who died, remember those who killed them."- Max Joseph

"Speed is fine, but accuracy is final"-Bill Jordan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast