Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best Ammo for Colt Defender

Today I'm picking up my new Colt Defender. Although I shot a Defender several years ago, this is my first .45 to actually own. I've narrowed my ammo choice down to Federals LE Tactical. It's offered in 185 gr and 230 gr. Has anyone used bullets lighter than the standard 230 gr (not necessarily this brand)? I know each handgun is different; I was just wondering if anyone had any trouble shooting light bullets from a short-barreled .45. Thanks!

I guess I should add that I am leaning towards the 185 gr because I've read that it expands better in short-barreled guns. I've included the link from a very good article on personal defense ammo.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/ammo_by_anonymous.htm

When I had a short barreled .45, I used the Remington 185gr +P Golden Sabers.

If you are sticking with the Federal loads, go with the 185gr

My Defender functions with 230, 200 and 185 grain bullets. but something about the timing of the Defender makes it feel very smooth when firing the 185 grain ammo.

Ask a friend to load mags with 230 and 185 grain ammunition (only one weight in a magazine) and hand them to you (or load them into the pistol) randomly; see if you can notice the difference.

I use the Taurus solid copper ammunition (TCB45ACP) for carry.
    Kalifornia escapee
    NRA certified pistol instructor
    NRA certified reloading instructor

Banned
    Get different brands and shoot them.This will be the way to check which ammo works best with your gun.Please post a pic when you get the defender.:happy0001:

It is a general practice with a new 1911 to run about 500 rounds of 230gr FMJ through it before trying other ammo. This helps to break the gun in and as a test for reliability. After that try several of the defense loads until you find one you like.

Not all guns like all ammo.
    Tactical may not always be practical, but practical is always tactical.
    I'd rather be right than politically correct!

Quote Originally Posted by mac79912 View Post
    Get different brands and shoot them.This will be the way to check which ammo works best with your gun.Please post a pic when you get the defender.:happy0001:
    Okay, I'm ready to rock and roll! Wait, I got no boolitz!

Banned
    Sweet looking defender.How many mags did you get?

Quote Originally Posted by mac79912 View Post
    Sweet looking defender.How many mags did you get?
    Two mags. I guess I mis-spoke in my original post. The gun is pre-owned but "new" to me.

Nice Defender! Always loved those guns. You might also consider the Corbon Pow'RBall. In 45acp they are a 165gr, which should work well at more reliable expansion with the short barrel. Also, they have basically a perfect round nose profile so they shouldn't have any feeding issues. God sometimes I feel like such a salesman for Corbon. I just like their stuff so much.
    "Ammo in the gun = Time in the fight." -Paul Gomez

Might want to stick with a standard pressure load. The more spring you have in that stubby 1911 the greater chance that it'll short stroke on standard stuff.
    http://www.subaruwrxsti.org - Subaru WRX STI Information and Tuning Resource
    http://www.vikingspeedshop.com - Tuning Parts for Subarus and others.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast