Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Re: Whats this about M&P accuracy issues?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_TX View Post
    One thing that's interesting is that you have decent grouping in three distinct places. Are you pausing to have a look after some rounds, then settling back into firing position for another set of shots, peeking again, and then finishing off with another group? It might be an issue with inconsistent stance or grip and you're not settling in the same way each time.
    That is exactly the case and this was also indoors low lighting. I'm 55 with not great eyesight, even at 7 yrds the target is a blur to me. This was pretty good for me. Also I dont have a room in my house thats any greater distance than 7 yards, I practice for home defense and frankly no-ones likely to leave with those patterns....
    This following pic is the best I have ever done at 7 yrds, that's a 3" target
    (Buy the way the Witness Elite Stock .45 I did this with is for sale if anyone's interested)

There's a 7 page thread on this issue over on the Brian Enos forum. From what I could sort out, it seems that the problem is localized in the 9mm Pro and L models.

I don't have an M&P, but I was just about set on a Pro to use for 3-gun. Now I'm looking at maybe the Julie Golob competition (4.25") model or maybe a CZ SP-01 or Glock 34. And I don't generally like Glocks (grip angle issues).

Quote Originally Posted by Rentz View Post
    If you're good enough that is, i stink and freely admit it. I can get close shots at 7yrds but cant put them in the same hole even with my 1911
    Quote Originally Posted by GreySmoke View Post
    That is exactly the case and this was also indoors low lighting. I'm 55 with not great eyesight, even at 7 yrds the target is a blur to me. This was pretty good for me. Also I dont have a room in my house thats any greater distance than 7 yards, I practice for home defense and frankly no-ones likely to leave with those patterns....
    This following pic is the best I have ever done at 7 yrds, that's a 3" target
    (Buy the way the Witness Elite Stock .45 I did this with is for sale if anyone's interested)
    The target should be a blur, no matter how good your eyesight is. Key #1 to iron sight accuracy (pistol or rifle, same thing applies), rear sight blurry, target blurry, front sight crisp. Focus on the front sight. You have a big black circle to hit, just put the front sight in the middle of it, make sure it's centered and leveled in the rear notch and squeeze the trigger. Sight picture is simple, but gets a lot of people. I do sometimes shoot with the target in focus and the sights fuzzy (a flash sight picture, if you will), but that's at closer, bigger targets where I just need two holes in something 18"x24", but want to do it a lot faster than getting "perfect" alignment. Anyway, for accurate shooting, focus on that front sight.

#2, trigger control. Pull the slack out, don't just put your finger on the trigger and pull it (I actually see a lot of people start their trigger pull with a gap between the trigger and their finger - their "groups" are usually pushing 10" at 7 yards), then squeeze to the rear. After the shot, move the trigger forward until you feel/hear it reset ("thunk" or "click"). Then get ready to begin your next trigger pull. Do NOT take your finger off the trigger between shots, unless you're pulling the pistol back and taking a short break. Take some time on the trigger. Dry fire helps this a lot. I dry fire the crap out of my handguns. Practice sight picture and alignment, and if the sights move when you pull the trigger, you're doing it wrong. You have to find a way to pull the trigger without upsetting the sights. Also, don't over-grip (handshake tight). It'll cause shakes, and makes trigger control tougher.

#3, take a short break once in a while. Let your shoulders and back have a rest, because they get tired holding 2 lbs of metal at arm's length. Tired muscles shake, and the discomfort screws with your distraction. Once in a while, stop, take your finger off the trigger, pull the pistol straight back so it's in front of your chest and just relax and breathe. Roll your shoulders to loosen them up. If you want, set the pistol down, roll your shoulders and shake the tension out of your arms and hands (looks goofy, maybe, but it works to loosen you back up!), flex your hands by making fists and opening them a few times.

#4, follow through! When you hit a ball with a bat, do you stop your swing at the point where it meets the ball? Nope, the swing finishes after the two meet. Same with a golf club, a tennis racket... the list goes on. Same with shooting. Pull the trigger, let the shot go, let the sights fall back on target, THEN move the trigger forward to reset it. This is one of the tips I give random strangers at the range that seems to tighten their groups up the most.

As far as the wandering groups, I bet you're readjusting your grip and getting inconsistent trigger pull. There's a lot out there on the proper grip (check out SigFiend's posts on it), and the wrong one will kill accuracy and do nothing to help control recoil/muzzle flip. Consistency is absolutely key (another area that dry fire helps out), since that's all accuracy is. Doing it the same way every time will put the bullet as close to the same spot as mechanical limitations allow.

Oh, and for dry fire, obviously be very careful to make sure the gun is unloaded (DOUBLE CHECK EVERY TIME YOU PICK IT UP!!!). And I like light switches for dry fire "targets". Door knobs work well, too.
    Don't mind me, I'm just making sure I'm on all of the watch lists.

I had another thread on M&P and loose slides. I wonder if that may be the cause?
    M&P 9mm Loose Slide
    The caliber of the man counts more than the caliber of his gun.

I poke Badgers with spoons....

Quote Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
    The club I shoot 3 gun with, it's uncommon to see a day when there aren't 25 yard targets, and when the match director builds a stage with 50 plus yard pistol targets, none of the regulars is surprised. One of the days, there were 5"ish targets out at about 25 yards for pistol targets. So a gun that is mechanically challenged enough that it groups almost twice that is a real big handicap.

For S&W to call that kind of accuracy "good enough" is just sad, IMO. A modern pistol should do a lot better. I'd call halving that group size about the maximum I'd accept as far as mechanical accuracy goes.
    And that is why she got sold with the quickness. I am actually kinda glad because when I sold the gun, I said screw it and bought an STI Eagle from Brazos Customs to ensure that I was going to get a good pistol. If the M&P would have shot right the first time, I would still be lusting after the STI

Ive liked the M&Ps Ive shotso I ordered one. Ill take the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by AKMike View Post
    Ive liked the M&Ps Ive shotso I ordered one. Ill take the chance.
    Before you do anything with that gun lets get together and make sure its not one with a problem. When is it supposed to arrive?

Radioman

Thursday at 4:30 supposedly.

1st they aint 1911s

2nd they are not 1911s

3rd guess what:hide::hide::hide::hide::hide::mad0071::mad007 1::mad0071::tongueout::tongueout::tongueout::tongu eout:
    shoot till they change shape or catch fire:fighting0010:
    if rattles take it to battle:banger:ie the 1911 nuff said
    TEXAS IS NOT MY BIRTHPLACE, BUT THIS WHERE MY SOUL REST

I dont need a 1911 to prove Im a real man...Apperently that thing about black guys isnt true for all of you...:rofl::hide:

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast