Texas Gun Forum Ad
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Assisted Opening Knives - Legal in Tx?

I've heard and read on Sigforum that assisted opening knives, or even locking blades are not legal in Tx.

Anyone know for sure what the deal is?

carry away....
    "Nobody cares...." -John Farnam
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Are you a sheep or a sheepdog? Or maybe just a sheep with a gun.....
    1998-2006 USMC YAT-YAS
    2006-??? Texas Army National Guard

Mosted Hated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIG-SOG View Post
    I've heard and read on Sigforum that assisted opening knives, or even locking blades are not legal in Tx.

Anyone know for sure what the deal is?

Texas has two laws that deal with knives; penal code 46.02, unlawfully carrying weapons and 46.05, Prohibited Weapons.

Illegal Knives are defined as;

(A) knife with a blade over five and one-half inches;
    (B) hand instrument designed to cut or stab another by being thrown;
    (C) dagger, including but not limited to a dirk, stiletto, and poniard;
    (D) bowie knife;
    (E) sword; or
    (F) spear.

They are covered under 46.02. They are illegal to carry on or about your person if you are not on your own premises or premises under your control; or if you are not inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle that is owned by you or under the your control.

Switchblades are any knife that has a blade that folds, closes, or retracts into the handle or sheath, and that:
    (A) opens automatically by pressure applied to a button or other device located on the handle; or
    (B) opens or releases a blade from the handle or sheath by the force of gravity or by the application of centrifugal force..

They are covered in 46.05 and are illegal to even posses.

There was a new law that went into effect on Sept. 1, House Bill 4456, that added to section (B) for switchblades;

The term does not include a knife that has a
    spring, detent, or other mechanism designed to create a bias toward
    closure and that requires exertion applied to the blade by hand,
    wrist, or arm to overcome the bias toward closure and open the
    knife.
    "Remember those who died, remember those who killed them."- Max Joseph

"Speed is fine, but accuracy is final"-Bill Jordan

Gonna poke my 2 cents in and hoping for clarification. First, there is a defense to prosecution that a switchblade may be dealt with as an antique or curio, but still cannot be carried.

Second, the San Antonio and Austin gun shows often have dealers selling fully automatic knives openly with banners advertising them.

Third, many years ago, the city of San Antonio passed an ordinance banning the carrying of lock back knives unless used in the course of your occupation. I have never heard of this being enforced.

Any clarification or details on the above would be greatly appreciated.

Mosted Hated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger60 View Post
    Gonna poke my 2 cents in and hoping for clarification. First, there is a defense to prosecution that a switchblade may be dealt with as an antique or curio, but still cannot be carried.
    Since there is no definition of those terms in the law, one must turn to the standard dictionary term;

1an·tique
    Pronunciation: \(ˌ)an-ˈtēk\
    Function: noun
    Date: 1530
    1 : a relic or object of ancient times
    2 a : a work of art, piece of furniture, or decorative object made at an earlier period and according to various customs laws at least 100 years ago b : a manufactured product (as an automobile) from an earlier period

: cu·rio
    Pronunciation: \ˈkyu̇r-ē-ˌō\
    Function: noun
    Inflected Form(s): plural cu·ri·os
    Etymology: short for curiosity
    Date: 1849
    : something (as a decorative object) considered novel, rare, or bizarre : curiosity; also : an unusual or bizarre person

Second, the San Antonio and Austin gun shows often have dealers selling fully automatic knives openly with banners advertising them.
    That means nothing to it being illegal for YOU to possess a switchblade.

Third, many years ago, the city of San Antonio passed an ordinance banning the carrying of lock back knives unless used in the course of your occupation. I have never heard of this being enforced.
    Only those under 5 and 1/2 inches. Texas law prohibits ALL knives OVER 5 and 1/2 inches. I see a loophole.

Quote Originally Posted by txinvestigator View Post

Switchblades are any knife that has a blade that folds, closes, or retracts into the handle or sheath, and that:
    (A) opens automatically by pressure applied to a button or other device located on the handle; or
    (B) opens or releases a blade from the handle or sheath by the force of gravity or by the application of centrifugal force..

They are covered in 46.05 and are illegal to even posses.
    So is it your opinion that one cannot have (defined switchblade above) in one's own home legally? or am I defining 'possess' incorrectly?

Darn, I wanted to carry around a sword and spear. . . .

Other than being over 5.5" long, what is a definition of a bowie knife?
    Do not pray for easy lives. Pray to be stronger men.
    JFK

Quote Originally Posted by txinvestigator View Post
    That means nothing to it being illegal for YOU to possess a switchblade.
    There is nothing to prevent military or LE from possessing a switchblade within their household. That's also the reason why dealers aren't being arrested for trying to sell a switchblade.
    http://www.subaruwrxsti.org - Subaru WRX STI Information and Tuning Resource
    http://www.vikingspeedshop.com - Tuning Parts for Subarus and others.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas42 View Post
    Darn, I wanted to carry around a sword and spear. . . .

Other than being over 5.5" long, what is a definition of a bowie knife?
    You can legally carry a sword in your car, or have one in your household.

Not that long ago some A&M students hacked up a robber with a sword in their garage. They weren't charged with anything I don't recall.
    http://www.subaruwrxsti.org - Subaru WRX STI Information and Tuning Resource
    http://www.vikingspeedshop.com - Tuning Parts for Subarus and others.

Mosted Hated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smschulz View Post
    So is it your opinion that one cannot have (defined switchblade above) in one's own home legally? or am I defining 'possess' incorrectly?
    It is not my opinion, it is fact. Unless handled as an antique or curio. In fact, if you look at section 46.02 of the penal code, which makes it unlawful to CARRY an illegal knife, it tells you that the section does not apply in your premises. We all possess illegal knives at home (think kitchen and cooking knives) but possession is not illegal. For you to have them on or about your person would have been illegal were the exception not in place.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast