Texas Gun Forum Ad
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Exclamation Required to carry ID

I got into an argument over whether a person must carry identification. My thought was that a person must be able to show proof of identity if asked. My friend says that no one must carry identification unless it is a requirement for another activity, such as driving a car.
    If you are walking in a park and a LEO asks you for identification, and you fail to provide it, are you breaking any law?

We were discussing the requirement due to the pending Arizona legislation.

Thanks!
    The caliber of the man counts more than the caliber of his gun.

I poke Badgers with spoons....

Mosted Hated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IXLR8 View Post
    I got into an argument over whether a person must carry identification. My thought was that a person must be able to show proof of identity if asked. My friend says that no one must carry identification unless it is a requirement for another activity, such as driving a car.
    If you are walking in a park and a LEO asks you for identification, and you fail to provide it, are you breaking any law?

We were discussing the requirement due to the pending Arizona legislation.

Thanks!

Few people have actually read the Arizona law, but that is a topic for another thread.

In TEXAS, Unless you are engaged in a licensed activity that requires you carry the license and/or ID you are under no obligation to carry ID. If not involved in a licensed activity you do not have to tell a peace officer who you are UNLESS you have been arrested.

Since you disagree with your friend's position, what law do you think you would be violating?
    "Remember those who died, remember those who killed them."- Max Joseph

"Speed is fine, but accuracy is final"-Bill Jordan

I may be wrong, but I believe that federal law requires aliens to carry ID at all times.
    Tactical may not always be practical, but practical is always tactical.
    I'd rather be right than politically correct!

Quote Originally Posted by Army 1911 View Post
    I may be wrong, but I believe that federal law requires aliens to carry ID at all times.
    Only the legal aliens, and it is racial profiling to ask for it!

TGT Supporter
    Why is it racial profiling to ask for identification?

I am a Legal Alien and have had to show proof a number of times. It is the LAW and one I accepted when I moved here. The people who are crying racial profiling ??? about what? If you are here and from Europe/South America/Asia/Africa/Mexico or any other non US country and are here and are asked for ID it is required that you show it. If you are legal US resident it would be your green card, if you are a visitor it would be your passport or visa. It is bullshit all this crap about profiling. Stop 100 cars and check everyone. Lock up the Illegals, if they are all from one country is it profiling? NO it is because they were here illegally and were caught. No record of the ones who were here from Mexico/Spain/France/Bosnia/England/Canada/South America and were legal so were allowed to continue on their way is kept. Or if it is kept that information is convieninetly forgotten by those who wish to distort things and make a name for themselves.

It is not a right for me to be here but a priviledge and one that can be revoked. Seems that is the big issue people seem to forget.

When I am pulled over for a driving infraction I am always asked where I came from.. and it is because of how I speak. If I keep my mouth shut I look just like every other WASP Male. So because I say some words differently I was being profiled??? OMG where is my lawyer and law suit ... where is the hue and cry from all the others behind me??

Just a tidbit of info.. When I moved to the US and settled in FLA I saw lots of advertisements for FREE GREEN CARD assistance (Thats about 5 thousand dollars saved aginst the costs of having a lawyer fill out the forms and believe me you would need a lawyer ). But when I attempted to use these services I was told that because I was not from South America/Cuba/Mexico .. as I was not HISPANIC I did not qualify.....

If you were born here great, back the laws. If you paid to be here and undestand it is a priviledge, back the laws. If you are an illegal you are stealing from everyone else and are nothing more than a common crook. If you support illegals, bring one into your home and pay for them to become legal at your expense. Don't try to change the laws to protect the guilty, help the guilty become innocent. That way we all win.

Sorry, I thought it was a simple question... I did not mean to open this (immigration) can of worms again.

If anyone is an LEO, please chime in. Texas laws are fine, I do not need the laws of each state.

Thanks for your responses.
    The caliber of the man counts more than the caliber of his gun.

I poke Badgers with spoons....

I thought it was a federal law that anyone in the US (citizen or not) had to carry around some form of ID at all times when outside their homes.:gotme: That thought seems kinda farfetched to me, so I kind of doubt it.

I guess it's kind of a catch 22, because there really is no law if your not performing any licensed activity that u have to carry an ID. Yet at the same time, if for whatever reason an officer thinks he needs to see your ID for some reason because he thinks there might be a crime involved, or just needs to ask u a question if he thought u witnessed a crime, and u don't have your ID with u, this can cause problems, and it may end up biting u in the ass. It's always a good idea to carry your ID, I mean honestly how often do u go somewhere and not drive, or at least are not in a car where for one reason or another u might need to drive that car.

I've seen cops harrass people for not carrying ID, and threaten to take him to the station to verify his ID, when they were on the street, not driving or engaged in an illegal activity, but the officers wanted a statement from the guy because he matched a description of someone who had just gotten into a bar fight up the street (this was in Deep Elum in Dallas). Is it legal, I don't think so, but why risk it when it's so easy, and anyone over the age of 18 should be used to carrying ID anyway wether it's to drive, write a check, go to the bank, get a beer, buy cigarettes, or now days even to use your credit card the want to see your ID.

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist Wolfwood's Avatar
    [QUOTE=MAJIK_BONE_77;165041I mean honestly how often do u go somewhere and not drive,.[/QUOTE]

5 days a week, 10 miles a day.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBoss0311 View Post
    If you are from Texas and you don't drink Shiner, then f*** you.
    every time you call a magazine a clip, a box with 13 puppies inside it is set on fire and thrown off a building

Quote Originally Posted by BG1960 View Post
    ...you never know what a person will do when faced with a decision. Some people will roll over, others will become Chuck Norris on Bath Salts.
    Quote Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
    I don't want to find out. Stupidity and pain both make me angry...

Mosted Hated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drummingchevy View Post
    I thought it was a federal law that anyone in the US (citizen or not) had to carry around some form of ID at all times when outside their homes.:gotme:
    No, it is not. Besides, only Federal LEOs can enforce federal law, generally.
    "Remember those who died, remember those who killed them."- Max Joseph

"Speed is fine, but accuracy is final"-Bill Jordan

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast