Texas Gun Forum Ad
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Re: I'll admit I was speeding if Officer X will admit ...

Quote Originally Posted by Bithabus View Post
    What won't be a criminal offense? Speeding is a criminal offense in Texas.
    Perhaps I'm mistaken. I thought one offense, with no other charges involved, is a misdeamenor. :gotme:
    It's a glock. Dry fire it.
    If the trigger sucks, good to go. - Vaquero

Quote Originally Posted by Glockster69 View Post
    Perhaps I'm mistaken. I thought one offense, with no other charges involved, is a misdeamenor. :gotme:
    It's a class C misdemeanor. That's the lowest level of criminal offense. It's not a huge deal but the deferral is so easy I can't see why to allow a conviction on your record. Just my opinion of course.
    Ban hurricanes

Quote Originally Posted by Bithabus View Post
    .... It's not a huge deal but the deferral is so easy I can't see why to allow a criminal conviction on your record. Just my opinion of course.
    Gotcha.
    I will talk to long time locals as well as look into defensive driving.

'preciate all the response guys.
    It's a glock. Dry fire it.
    If the trigger sucks, good to go. - Vaquero

Banned

If you are eligible for defensive driving (which you are), then I don't see why you would NOT go that route. It keeps the ticket off your record, and your insurance happy. It also keeps the points off your license.

Texas adopted the points system a few years ago. Texas DMV Point System - Guide to TX DMV Points & Suspensions at DMV.org: The DMV Made Simple

• One moving violation is two points.

• A moving violation resulting in an accident is three points.
    Besides the whopping dent in your pocketbook under the DRP program, four moving violations in 12 months or seven moving violations in 24 months will also get your license suspended. The more egregious violations do not accumulate points, but that's not necessarily good news―see "Conviction-based Surcharges," below.

But if you rack up six points on your license by the end of the year, you then have to also pay a $100 "assessment surcharge." And that amount goes up by $25 for each subsequent point over six. For each year that you have six or more points still on your license, you will have to pay the $100 fee again, along with $25 each for each point above six.

Defensive driving is typically $25 for the class, plus $110 in court costs. You also have to get a copy of your driving record, which you can either do by mail, or online. Most online classes offer this service for about $20 extra. All in, you're still about the same cost as just paying the ticket. You just have to sit in class for a day (they also offer 2-day classes I think), or do it online, then you can avoid the points and the potential insurance premium increase. If you do it online, you can complete it section by section, at your own pace. You only have 90 days to complete it though, from the date that you requested defensive driving.

Also, the date on the citation is not an actual court date, it's just a recommended "get it taken care of by then" date. You can sign up for defensive driving, or pay the ticket outright, as soon as the ticket is in the system. If it wasn't a local ticket, you can just call them and take care of it over the phone.

Yes, I've done defensive driving my fair share of times...

A legend in my own mind! lalonguecarabine's Avatar

Aw man!

You got pulled over by a Texas cop with barbeque in your vehicle and you didn't offer him any?!
    You're lucky he didn't throw the book at you! :lolz:
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all!"
    Major General James Mattis USMC, to Iraqi tribal leaders - 2003

You have to be very careful nowadays. I used to go by the 8 mile over rule but those days are gone. Since the economy hit the dumper and revenues are down, cops have gotten very strict. My wife got a 5 over ticket a couple years back on the highway. That was almost unheard of 5 years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Younggun View Post
    You aren't a big deal, just a guy on the Internet. Try to remember that.
    Yes, sometimes I am no help at all.

To date, I haven't issued anything that was less than 10 over....otherwise I'd be tied up all day....contrary to public belief, all officers are not fans of issuing tickets....even those of us that are assigned to traffic. We don't have a goal to go burn holes in people's wallets and the economy doesn't effect my productivity/amount of tickets.
    "What's 2 plus 2?.........Gonorrhea" -Quoted by weird girl

Quote Originally Posted by ChunkyMonkey View Post
    To date, I haven't issued anything that was less than 10 over....otherwise I'd be tied up all day....contrary to public belief, all officers are not fans of issuing tickets....even those of us that are assigned to traffic. We don't have a goal to go burn holes in people's wallets and the economy doesn't effect my productivity/amount of tickets.
    Don't misunderstand me. I am not saying all cops or even areas are. But looking at it from a nationwide average there seems to be many more officers on the roads.
    Quote Originally Posted by Younggun View Post
    You aren't a big deal, just a guy on the Internet. Try to remember that.
    Yes, sometimes I am no help at all.

...Get better at spotting cops.
    Don't mind me, I'm just making sure I'm on all of the watch lists.

Quote Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
    ...Get better at spotting cops.
    LOL.

I stay just under 10mph over.... usually.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast