Texas Gun Forum Ad
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hope My Identity Has Not Been Stolen

Received a 550 Toll Bill today for $0.67 plus $1.00 processing fee. Supposedly didn't pay a toll on 12-30-12 at the SH550 Mainline Plaza. Have no idea where this is but by recorded phone message could be around Brownsville, TX. Never been to Brownsville and never left Longview in December except to travel to VA in Shreveport. The bill lists a tag# that I obviously don't recognize and I have had Disabled Veterans Tags on our vehicles since early 2009. When we trade or buy vehicles......I keep the tags. This tag # has a BA prefix. Automated phone message and online states to dispute you must send proof that the vehicle with tag # on bill is no longer in yours and provide proof of sale and transfer. Have no idea even what kind of car or truck is in question since all I have is a tag#. Traded in our truck last year on a new GMC Terrain at local new car dealership and as I stated....I took the DV tags off and put on new Terrain. Sold an old Buick locally to an individual here in Longview about the same time but again I retained DV tags and accompanied the buyer to local tag office to do title transfer before handing over the car. I'm headed to local tag office tomorrow and see if they can tell me by looking at this Tag# how it was linked to me and my mailing address. As the title states......I am holding my breath that some $#@! hasn't brought and registered a car using my identity. Any other suggestions??
    Okie556
    Proud Viet Nam Vet

A picture was probably taken of the license plate and was misread.

Quote Originally Posted by festering View Post
    A picture was probably taken of the license plate and was misread.
    Can't be that simple. I have NEVER own a vehicle ANYWHERE close to the tag# on the bill I received.
    Okie556
    Proud Viet Nam Vet

Just to be on the safe side, why not get a copy of your credit report? Each of the 3 credit reporting agencies is required to give you one free copy of your credit report each year. That means you can pull a copy every 4 months if you rotate companies and use it as a poor mans credit monitor. Go to annualcreditreport.com to get your copy. Don't pay anything for any extra junk they try to sell you.

If the folks that sent you the bill aren't any help, talk to the local PD and see if you can get them to run the plates for you.
    Chris

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.” Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by F350-6 View Post
    Just to be on the safe side, why not get a copy of your credit report? Each of the 3 credit reporting agencies is required to give you one free copy of your credit report each year. That means you can pull a copy every 4 months if you rotate companies and use it as a poor mans credit monitor. Go to annualcreditreport.com to get your copy. Don't pay anything for any extra junk they try to sell you.

If the folks that sent you the bill aren't any help, talk to the local PD and see if you can get them to run the plates for you.
    Thanks. I'll do just that.
    Okie556
    Proud Viet Nam Vet

We don't have toll roads in south Texas that I know of.

Surely none here in the shadow of the Alamo.

Write or e-mail your State representative and tell him to fix this for you.
    It was what it was, back when it was good, and it ain't getting any better any time soon.

Hope My Identity Has Not Been Stolen

Could be a phishing attempt.

Quote Originally Posted by okie556 View Post
    Received a 550 Toll Bill today for $0.67 plus $1.00 processing fee. Supposedly didn't pay a toll on 12-30-12 at the SH550 Mainline Plaza. Have no idea where this is but by recorded phone message could be around Brownsville, TX. Never been to Brownsville and never left Longview in December except to travel to VA in Shreveport. The bill lists a tag# that I obviously don't recognize and I have had Disabled Veterans Tags on our vehicles since early 2009. When we trade or buy vehicles......I keep the tags. This tag # has a BA prefix. Automated phone message and online states to dispute you must send proof that the vehicle with tag # on bill is no longer in yours and provide proof of sale and transfer. Have no idea even what kind of car or truck is in question since all I have is a tag#. Traded in our truck last year on a new GMC Terrain at local new car dealership and as I stated....I took the DV tags off and put on new Terrain. Sold an old Buick locally to an individual here in Longview about the same time but again I retained DV tags and accompanied the buyer to local tag office to do title transfer before handing over the car. I'm headed to local tag office tomorrow and see if they can tell me by looking at this Tag# how it was linked to me and my mailing address. As the title states......I am holding my breath that some $#@! hasn't brought and registered a car using my identity. Any other suggestions??

I received the exact same charge you describe....haven't done anything about it yet. Really don't know where the bill is at this moment...guess I need to go find it. The $1.67 charge is what caught my attention.

I get toll bills pretty often from the Dallas area, my wife goes to trade shows there a few times a year and I just expect them. Really thought this might be one of them (Texas Toll Roads--isn't very swift)
    "all it takes for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing"

A Shooters Wisdom

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by scap99 View Post
    Could be a phishing attempt.
    That has crossed my mine but they are just wanting payment by check. No request for anything else.
    Okie556
    Proud Viet Nam Vet

Quote Originally Posted by jocat54 View Post
    I received the exact same charge you describe....haven't done anything about it yet. Really don't know where the bill is at this moment...guess I need to go find it. The $1.67 charge is what caught my attention.

I get toll bills pretty often from the Dallas area, my wife goes to trade shows there a few times a year and I just expect them. Really thought this might be one of them (Texas Toll Roads--isn't very swift)
    If you find the bill see if the tag# listed is for one of your vehicles.....mine was not.
    Okie556
    Proud Viet Nam Vet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast