Texas Gun Forum Ad
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

7.62x54 R Reloading

I recently purchased a surplus 1938 Mosin-Nagant rifle. I figured for $100, why not. I reload for everything I shoot, and this round will be no exception. Anyone have any suggestions on things to watch out for, or any good loads?

Re: 7.62x54 R Reloading

I don't reload that cartridge yet as mine is a safe queen and I haven't bought a shooter yet.

This may be helpful just to see the variety of what was loaded for it:
    7.62x54r Ammunition Identification

You probably want to slug your bore to determine the best diameter bullets.
    Mosin Nagant Rifle Bore Slugging Tutorial

From Chuck Hawks:
    "Here are some specifications of interest to reloaders: bullet diameter .308" or .312" (depending on rifle), maximum COL 3.048", maximum case length 2.115". The Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading, Sixth Edition shows a variety of loads for the cartridge, with both .308" and .312" bullets. As with the .303 British and .308 Winchester, bullets from 150-180 grains would seem to be the best choice for most hunting purposes.
    The following are typical loads from the Hornady Handbook using .312" bullets. The 150 grain Hornady spire point bullet can be driven to a MV of 2,400 fps with 46.8 grains of H380 powder, or to a MV of 2800 fps by a maximum load of 54.3 grains of H380.
    The 174 grain Hornady bullets can be driven to 2,200 fps with 42.1 grains of W760 powder. A maximum charge of 52.3 grains launches that bullet at a MV of 2700 fps. These Hornady loads all used Norma brass and Federal 210 primers; velocities were taken in a 26.5" barrel."

Let us know how it goes.

"...all men are ... endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights" - Declaration of Independence
    "...the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" - US Constitution
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." - Patrick Henry

With ammo so cheap for the Mosin, I don't bother reloading. Plus, you really can't shoot a lot of it without knocking your shoulder out of the socket...
    When you're wounded and left on Afghanistan's plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Jest roll to your rifle and blow out your brains
    An' go to your Gawd like a soldier!

Quote Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
    With ammo so cheap for the Mosin, I don't bother reloading. Plus, you really can't shoot a lot of it without knocking your shoulder out of the socket...
    Accuracy improvement for similar cost is intriguing to me. As for the recoil, even on my carbine version, a simple limbsaver buttpad made it very enjoyable to shoot. Plus accuracy is frequently achieved with softer recoiling loads.
    "...all men are ... endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights" - Declaration of Independence
    "...the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" - US Constitution
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." - Patrick Henry

Unless your trying to reload a more accurate round or you just truly enjoy pulling that handle on your press its cheaper to just but ammo. Ammoman.com sell 880rds delieverd for $219. Thats less than .25 cents a pop.

The problem at least for me is that the ranges around here don't allow FMJ. So the great deals on ammo are worthless to me except for SHTF in which case I already have a ton of 7.62x39 that is also FMJ and can't be shot locally.

Can you pull the FMJ bullets and neck size the case, then replace the bullet with an equivalent weight and diameter soft point bullet? I might try that.

What diameter is the barrel? I ask because mine isnt 308. Mine measured .310

Yep just confirmed what I thought, both of my reloading manuals state to check the barrel diameter before reloading for this round"barrel diameter can range from 308 to 312.
    Proud LIFE NRA and TSRA member that wears a brown stetson. :texas:

Shelter me Lord, with my saiga 12!

I am the chicom commbloc rifle expert in central texas, so says Big Country

Smarter than the average redneck!

I am aware of the barrel diameter variances. I am going to try the barrel slugging item mentioned above. A gunsmith friend of mine can do it for me, but the slugging article intriques me. I reload because I enjoy knowing that when I get tight groups they are due to the bullets I reloaded. As far as price goes, the cheapest factory bullets I have found are Winchester 180 gr. soft nose bullets at $19.95 for a box of twenty. With shipping that averages over $1.00 per shot. Like most other public ranges, my local rifle ranges do not allow FMJ ammo to be shot on their property. So buying surplus bulk ammo is out of the question for me. I can't imagine ordering a large quantity of cheap FMJ ammo and then taking the time to remove the bullets and replacing them with a bullet that is allowed on local ranges. What a waste of time, plus you would need to check each powder load to make sure you didn't alter that in the process. Elm Fork Shooting Park has a 35 yard Tactical Range that allows FMJ ammo, but who wants to shot a rifle at 35 yards? I reload .308 and 30.06, so I am familar with this size of cartridge. Recently I read that some 7.62x54R reloading dies require the relacement of the case neck expander portion of the resizing die. A larger diameter expander arbor is required, so the case neck doesn't shave copper from the bullet while seating the bullet. I am looking forward to shooting this old gun. Recoil has never been a big deal for me. Several years ago I shot competitive shotgun sports (trap, skeet, and sporting clays). My weapon of choice was a 12 gauge over and under shotgun. I would average shooting around 500 rounds a week. At the time I was the president of The Rockwall Gun Club in Rockwall, Texas. Reloading became mandatory due to the large quanity of shotgun shells I used each week. It just carried over to everything else I shoot these days.

7.62x54R is an easy cartridge to load for. Handloads will most likely be far more accurate than surplus ball. Too bad Graf's is out of Privi brass, price is good, and it's good stuff. Midway and Graf's both have Lapua, expensive but about the best brass there is, Norma is also available. I shoot mostly cast from my MNs, but the best jacketed bullet I've found for .310 bores is Remington's bulk 180 grain RN sold as .311 for the .303 and 7.65x53. Every lot I've ever measured has run .3105, just about perfect for a .310 bore. As far as .308 bores on MNs, only a couple of Finish models have .308 bores, all Russian/Soviet/Soviet bloc rifles will almost certanly have .310 bores.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast