Texas Gun Forum Ad
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

.458 Socom AR-15 or 45-70 Lever Action

Okay, Haven't posted in awhile.. but looking for big thumper... will be using it for hunting Bison, elk, deer, and Piggies. Also, things to keep in mind, I have a Stag 5.56 lower ready to go....just sitting around in my safe, doing nothing.

I will be reloading for whatever cartridge I plan on using..

So, I dont know what would be better, in the long run.. Should I try to aquire a .458 socom upper to mate up to my AR lower

OR

Get a Lever Action Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70. (I have been reading that the quality control on the latest Marlins are pretty bad, which concerns me)

Is 458 Socom a pipe dream? Brass and tips hard to get? Factory ammo seems hard to get.

45-70 seems ready-to-go.. but are the rifles? I love Lever Actions.. first rifle ever was a Marlin 336 30-30. Still use it. Are there any other brands that offer repeating lever actions..

Any input would be appreciated.

Take care.

Re: .458 Socom AR-15 or 45-70 Lever Action

.45-70!
    Fear God. Love your neighbor. Hunt deer.

If you want to shoot either you need to reload.
    They benefit greatly fron hand loading. The 458 socom is an awsome "thumper" to use your words. It's in all respects a modern 45-70 in a modern platform. The 45-70 is for all intents and purposes the same round at the same speed. The question is are you a modern guy or a classic western guy? What kind of knife do you carry? emerson or case? Pistol: Glock or blackhawk? Get the gun that suites you. Both will do the job.

I own a 45-70 guide gun. I love it and I'm a Winchester guy not a marlin guy. That being said, the 458 is next on the list.
    Buy both. I'm gonna, I just started with the lever.
    What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?

Don't forget the 444 Marlin and the 450 Marlin. I'd even consider the 35 Remington. All are available in the Marlin 336 platform. Though I haven't owned one yet, the 444 Marlin is the direction I'm considering.

PS... the 375 Winchester is another candidate, but ammo is expensive and hard to find.

Just my .02 but the 45-70 is a better choice than the 444 for several reasons. Bigger bullet being top of the list. And since he plans to reload the 45-70 is a better option than the 450 as well.
    What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?

I am a fan of the 45-70 and have an H&R single shot. You can warm the loads a bit more than factory, but not much. The 336 will handle the "mid" loads which is quite an improvement over the factory loads. The 336 has no extra room (tolerance) for something larger than the 45-70. A little research puts the KE of the 444 between the 45-70 factory and the 45-70 336 loads. The 450 Marlin exceeds the 45-70 336 loads by a few hundred ft-lbs.

The 35 Rem and 375 Win trail quite a bit, but will stop most things that won't hunt back. If you look at the Browning BLR, you could include the 358 Win in the mix.

Plan on spending a fortune on ammo if you decide to go with the 458 and shoot it very much. Reloads are running close to $3.50 ea ( using 500gn solids and 1x brass ) Brass life has been very short ( 3-4 tops ) I don't own a 458, but a close friend does and we've had a ton of fun with it, but it is damned expensive to shoot. The 45-70 isn't much cheaper, but components are much easier to find and you can find ample hardcast to keep reloading costs down.
    "If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective."

"I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing"

Marlin 1895 SBL

Wild West Guns Alaskan Co-Pilot
    A "gun free zone" is tyrannies playground.
    I carry a gun to give me options, not a single solution.

Quote Originally Posted by matefrio View Post

Wild West Guns Alaskan Co-Pilot
    First I ever hear of that one.....and now I gotta have one!!! Damn that is sexy!!!!
    -Pete
    Greyhound Station, Downtown Houston

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast