Texas Gun Forum Ad
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Marlin xs7vh .308?

Has anyone had a marlin in 308? I know remington bought them out but I dont know what to expect in quality, accuracy or much of anything for that matter. I have had marlin 22 rifles before and they were excellent but this almost seems too good to be true! They are for sale on buds right now for $323 heavy 26" barrel. Ive been looking at remington 700s but I came across this and now I am torn between the known quality of a remington and the amazing price of a marlin for what appears to be a very similar rifle. If anyone has any knowledge on these I would love to hear it!

Re: Marlin xs7vh .308?

The question is, did Remington change anything on the Marlin? My last American Rifleman magazine had more recalls by Remington than ads for Remington. I believe there were four recalls if I remember correctly.

It sounds like by the description of the rifle, you are looking for a target gun. I'd stay away from budget guns if that were the case. Spend a little more and get a better gun. It will be cheaper in the long run to get a better starter gun.

I do know a guy that has a nice heavy barrel Savage for sale in the classifieds....................
    Quote Originally Posted by Younggun View Post
    You aren't a big deal, just a guy on the Internet. Try to remember that.
    Yes, sometimes I am no help at all.

I would stick with the 700. You get what you pay for...most of the time.
    "In a perfect world you would already be dead."
    -Duke Nukem

Quote Originally Posted by Dawico View Post
    The question is, did Remington change anything on the Marlin? It sounds like by the description of the rifle, you are looking for a target gun. I'd stay away from budget guns if that were the case. Spend a little more and get a better gun. It will be cheaper in the long run to get a better starter gun.
    That has been a question I have been trying to find answers to also. I hear that 700's are junk or that they are the best so it is tough to make a choice there. I know that the stock on the marlin is plastic so replacing it will be a minimum if another $100. I am basically looking for a gun that I can trust at a distance but mainly for 300 yards on in for hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBrandon View Post
    I would stick with the 700. You get what you pay for...most of the time.
    That is my general go to line when buying expensive items but it seems like I have had better luck with "cheaper" guns lately than spending that extra. I really like the 700 and it is still an option but I have a good friend with a 700 so I would rather get something different... especially after he dropped $3000 putting a new stock and other goodies on it; my gun will feel inadequate by comparison! haha

Get a M1A like me, best rifle I ever bought and will easily shoot your 300 yards. Then again, price seems to be a major factor for you so that might not be the best route. You could get an AR-10 for a decent price.
    -Duke Nukem

Get a M1A like me, best rifle I ever bought and will easily shoot your 300 yards. Then again, price seems to be a major factor for you so that might not be the best route. You could get an AR-10 for a decent price.
    I have been oogling over m1As for that last couple years... they are basically amazing. my problem is when I have a semi auto rifle I tend to go through ammo like it is going out of style, So I would preferably like to stay in the bolt action types. I only have one bolt action rifle and 9 semi autos so I think it is time I achieve some balance! Not only that, I enjoy putting a nice rifle together for as little as I can and then going to outshoot some of my friends who drop thousands on essentially the same thing. I just finished building me AR15 for less than 500 with optics!

RRA lower w/ match trigger, colt upper 20" 1:7 twist chrome lined with M16 chrome BCG. Vortex flash hider. YHM diamond series handguard and Walther red dot.

I used to chew through ammo but I've slowed down quite a bit in these last few years. I always like to see how well of a shot placement I can get with iron sights on every gun I buy and always try to out perform the specs. I've never been a fan of the AR-15, probably because of the M16 I had while I was in the military. Even with the piston conversion, I could never get into them. Have you considered a Mossberg 100 ATR? Their about the same price as a Remmy 700. I haven't heard any complaints on them.
    -Duke Nukem

I used to chew through ammo but I've slowed down quite a bit in these last few years. I always like to see how well of a shot placement I can get with iron sights on every gun I buy and always try to out perform the specs. I've never been a fan of the AR-15, probably because of the M16 I had while I was in the military. Even with the piston conversion, I could never get into them. Have you considered a Mossberg 100 ATR? Their about the same price as a Remmy 700. I haven't heard any complaints on them.
    I think that would be the way to go trying to place your shots... I am really trying to get myself into that but that initial mag dump creates one heck of a grin. I never thought I would like the AR-15 but mine grew on me. I prefer my mini 14 over it though, a little more traditional i guess. I have looked at the mossbergs. They are pretty nice, I am just torn I guess. If I had the money I would just buy one of each and see how it goes.

Get a 600 nitro express, you won't ever want to shoot fast again.
    -Duke Nukem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast