Texas Gun Forum Ad
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

7mm Mag -- what to do with it?

Attachment 15954

So my old elk rifle is collecting dust. It's a 1976 Winchester model 70 in 7mm Mag. I haven't fired it since I've moved to the Austin area because I haven't found anything big enough to shoot with it. I haven't even fired my 30-06. The only thing I've hunted is pig with my 30/30. With ammo as expesive as it is, and my back not as healthy as it was, I've only gone target shooting with the 10/22.

So my question: is there any reason to keep the Model 70 in the Hill Country? Or should I try to trade it off for something smaller, that would get more use? I'm not much of a collector. I'd really like to use it if I own it. Is there some big beast nearby I don't know about?

Anyone have any particular love or hate for the 7mm Mag?

Re: 7mm Mag -- what to do with it?

Trade it for something you will use. Nothing in Texas that yo need a gun that big for. Most I know with those, have them to take up to Montana/Canada or thereabouts.
    You can only have too much ammo if you are on fire or swimming....

Use it on HOGS.

You know if you get rid of it...youll always think of her. And it will break your heart. You know damn good and well what memories she holds. Pass it to your kids.

Great...now i'm thinking of a Browning Abolt medallion I had in 7mm. Why the hell did I get rid of her. DAMMIT. I hope she's being taking care of.
    Don't IRS me, bra!

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Dave View Post
    Attachment 15954

So my old elk rifle is collecting dust. It's a 1976 Winchester model 70 in 7mm Mag. I haven't fired it since I've moved to the Austin area because I haven't found anything big enough to shoot with it. I haven't even fired my 30-06. The only thing I've hunted is pig with my 30/30. With ammo as expesive as it is, and my back not as healthy as it was, I've only gone target shooting with the 10/22.

So my question: is there any reason to keep the Model 70 in the Hill Country? Or should I try to trade it off for something smaller, that would get more use? I'm not much of a collector. I'd really like to use it if I own it. Is there some big beast nearby I don't know about?

Anyone have any particular love or hate for the 7mm Mag?
    If it holds little to no sentimental value, trade it for a smaller caliber. I like .243 / .308 for pretty much anything the H.C. has to offer.

Im over my 7mm love........goodbye

Trade it for a AR25 in 243 or 308. More fun then racking a bolt. But there kinda heavy.

Then play hell on the hogs of Texas
    Don't IRS me, bra!

Sell it to me.

"Is there some big beast nearby I don't know about?"
    Exotics are not uncommon in the hill country.
    It ain't about you.
    Get over it.

Does that boy of yours like to ride dirt bikes?
    Go Big then Go Home
    Chuck
    www.houstonshooterstalk.com

275 lb Axis deer are all over the Hill Country.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.

Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

I like the 7mm mag. I have a Weatherby MK V in 7 mag. How much would you sell it for?

I'd keep it, there are plenty of hunts in Texas where it would be useful.

Look into some of the Exotics that are available. Something like a Aoudad, Scimitar oryx, Water Buffalo, Nilgai, Buffalo and a lot of others are not too small for the 7mm and can be hunted close to you.
    "Oh judge! Your damn laws! The good people donít need them, and the bad people donít obey them."

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom ó go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" ~Samuel Adams

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast