Texas Gun Forum Ad
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

First Deer Hunting Rifle for Baby Girl

This year or next Baby Girl is going to go on her first real hunting trip (hopefully long road trip to see her Uncle Joe in UP Michigan) with Daddy. Baby Girl is 9 and currently shoots a CZ 452 Scout (22LR with Pink Synth Stock) and a Walther P22. She loves her CZ scout and we are so glad that we got that instead of the Cricket youth. I am considering a 7mm or .243 for her first hunting rifle and was wondering what others have gotten their sons or daughters for their first hunting rifle. Thanks and I am looking forward to hearing what ya'll have to say!

I built an AR15 in 6.8 SPC for my daughter, but a .243 is a lot cheaper .
    .243, 7mm-08, 7.62x39, 6.5x55, 6.8SPC all have light recoil to some extent. Choice depends upon if your kid is sensitive to recoil and what range is your max.
    All thoughts expressed are only the opinions of the poster, heed at your own risk.

First Deer Hunting Rifle for Baby Girl

My first deer rifle was a savage .243.

Still have it and still use it. The recoil is very manageable and it's what I get out for new shooters wanting to try bolt guns.
    "If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." Samual Adams

I LOVE MY COUNTRY AND MY STATE. IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH EITHER YOU ARE MORE THAN WELCOME TO GTFO

My girls are still too young.

However, either 243 or 7mm-08 would be my choice also. I'd pick the 7mm if I had another 7mm in the house. Otherwise, 243. I have shot and have witnessed get shot, whitetail. LOL...made a rug with a 243 hole in it. 243 was one of the more popular deer hunting rounds in the area i grew up in central Texas.

243, small entry. Maybe, and exit hole you can cover with a 50cent coin. (If you were gonna take shoulder shots, 243 is a good choice.)

On the inside of the carcass. Organs are blown inside out. Lungs, heart...liver. 243 does more damage on the inside then out. Typical shot was less then 150yards.

My father in law at the time. Bought raffle tickets for a fire department. He won a Browning A-bolt in 243. Forgot the make of scope. $30 in tickets, btw.

It's also a good round if no deer show up, but turkey do.

Check it out:

.243 Win + .243 AI Cartridge Guide

I'd put any of my girls behind a 243.
    Last edited by grasshopperglock; 01-18-2013 at 01:34 PM.
    Don't IRS me, bra!

I have a runt that loves to hunt with me. She shot her first deer, a doe, with a target AR. 190 yd shot, didn't take a step. Not comfortable shooting bucks with that, so I bought her a Remington 770 in 243, a youth model. She took her first buck with it in December. Great shot, good deer.

I got the 243 at Cabela's off the clearance rack for under $300, with the scope. She loves it.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.

Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

I am leaning .243....

I think its a good choice. She can shoot it the rest of her life.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.

Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

.243 is adequate for Texas whitetail, used one for years. I have a 12 year old and twin 11 years old girls who for open sight shooting are fine with a 30/30. I mean, they arent target shooting with it, a shot or two while hunting they can handle. One likes the bolt action .243 but another prefers the lever. Get input from junior on certain aspects of the firearm. Happy Hunting!
    Beware the leader who bangs the drums of crises and patriotism...it emboldens the blood and narrows the mind. When the drums have reached a fever pitch...the leader will have no need in seizing the rights of the citizenry...rather, in...fused with fear, they will offer up all of their rights...and gladly so. How do I know? For this is what I have done. (Julius Caesar)

She thought she was going to hunt with her CZ 452 Scout and I had explain that the Scout was her plinkin' gun and she would get her own deer rifle. I might even let her try my 30/30 while we are firing a couple of different options to let her get a feel for the different rifles and rounds.

Lifetime Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by deemus View Post
    I have a runt that loves to hunt with me. She shot her first deer, a doe, with a target AR. 190 yd shot, didn't take a step. Not comfortable shooting bucks with that, so I bought her a Remington 770 in 243, a youth model. She took her first buck with it in December. Great shot, good deer.

I got the 243 at Cabela's off the clearance rack for under $300, with the scope. She loves it.
    Perfect youth rifle is the Remington or Savage in .243. Plenty of knock down power for any Texas game.

Brad

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast