Texas Gun Forum Ad
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My .308 Savage Precision Carbine Build

Well, I figured I would post this here to show my first 'build' of my own. As far as piecing together everything I needed and building my own rifle (to a certain extent).

Current Setup
    Savage Model 10 Precision Carbine
    Bushnell Elite 4200 4-16x50
    Burris Zee Rings
    Caldwell Bipod
    Battle Arms Development Muzzle Brake
    Karsten Model B Cheek Riser

So I picked up a few things, one from a local member here in San Antonio with the Bushmaster Elite 4200 Scope. Should be perfect for some deer hunting and shots out to ~500 yards. Also picked up a Caldwell bi-pod. After doing a ton of research and seeing them side by side, I couldn't justify buying a Harris just because of the name. So I saved $60 and bought the Caldwell instead. Scope is sitting on Burris rings which rests on a some cheap scope rail I got at Academy. The rail seems to work perfect though, guess we'll see how it holds up in the field.

Did a quick test fit to make sure I wasn't wasting my time with any of the equipment.

Decided I hated the ACU pattern since i'm currently in the army and find it to be the stupidest camouflage on the face of the earth. So we got her taped up and ready for some paint.

I did the first few layers in black plastidip, incase I decided I hate what I did so I could just peel it off.

I actually liked the feel of just the plastidip, and could be a viable option later on. It feels...grippy. And I liked it.

So here is the finished product. It's pretty close to Olive Drab, and I overall like the look a million times more. Taking her to the range for the first time on Thursday, since I figured it would only be appropriate to go shoot stuff on the 4th of July. And yes, that's a Wampa Skin rug I put it on.

I'll use this thread to post any reviews of products I use on this rifle, and anything I have to say about the rifle itself. If you guys would like to hear anything let me know.

Matt
    Last edited by SKYNET KC; 07-02-2013 at 11:58 PM.

Nicely done... I've been fondling a number of .308 BAs lately, but can't make up my mind.
    God Blessed Texas!

My dad convinced me to buy the savage. The accutrigger just did it for me. It's fantastic pulling the trigger and knowing EXACTLY when it's going to break. They've made a lifetime customer out of me. I'll be buying a Model 110 later in .338 Lapua Mag for a distance rifle.

Re: My .308 Savage Precision Carbine Build

Beautiful gun!

Which range will you be at? I should be at Hicksville if everything goes to plan.

*Forum Record Holder-Successful necroposter of 5 year old thread.*

Bullet hole? Unless anywhere else has ranges that go to 200+ yards.

Hicksville goes to 600 yds.

25 yd sight in
    100 yd qualification
    Then several ranges up to 600 yd for you to shoot as you please.

Where are you stationed?

Hicksville is (I think) a 3 hour drive for me. I'll drive 20 minutes to bullet hole this time.

Also looks like I'll be adding a Battle Arms Development Muzzle Brake and Karsten Model B Cheek Riser.

I'm a reservist, I live in San Antonio.

Ohhhhhh....you said Army so I just thought Ft Hood...lol

Yea, you're better off at the bullet hole

So a quick update/ question.

Took it to the range to zero, couldn't get it on paper. Took it to my farm, got it on paper, try to adjust...and I can't get it to go NEARLY high enough. I've maxed out the up/down adjustment on my scope and I'm still shooting a good foot low at 100 yards.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373860830.781426.jpg

Could it be that I have a rail and high rings? I can't come to any other conclusion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast