Texas Gun Forum Ad
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    TGT Supporter

Post Ruger MKIII vs 22/45

I already own a MKIII hunter and decided to give the 22/45 a try in the same configuration. It looks like in addition to the grip angle, the 22/45s also feature a BHO for the last round fired. I can't remember if the normal MKIII is the same. Originally I was looking for a 22/45 lite but no one has em' in stock. I was thinking that 2 pistols w/same bbl lengths and sights will give me a better comparison than 2 that are configured differently. What do ya'll like or dislike between the two of them. Try to resist your temptation to tell me to buy a buckmark. I have owned one in the past and for now I'm sticking with rugers ! :mad0025: Any input is appreciated, thanks - Texmex

Re: Ruger MKIII vs 22/45

By a b... lol.
    But seriously it all comes down to grip angle and to test that. Grip the weapon normally. Close your eyes. Level the weapon in a safe direction.
    Upen your eyes and adjust the sight to a "target". Which pistol required the least adjustment? That's the one I would buy.
    Ed to say that usually one gun is pointed in the area of the target and the other pistol is pointed distinctly "wrong". Either way down or up.
    I'm a Little Teacup

I have a few Mark III's and prefer them over the 22/45's

If you own either one buy a Cliploader. You can load your magazines faster than anyone can shoot them. Best investment ever.

Next best accessory is Fastfire II red dot sight with the custom Ruger mount. It sits flush on the barrel, without a rail. It makes shooting cans at 20 yards a piece of cake.

The Mark III are a PIA to disassemble, but you don't have to do it unless you really, really want to...
    The caliber of the man counts more than the caliber of his gun.

I poke Badgers with spoons....

I've had a 22/45 for years and it is a great gun. I prefered the grip and angle over the luger style rugers. It will eat up any cheap ammo I put through it. Disassembly and assembly gets easy after a few times. The trick is when putting it back together tip it back and dry fire it.

I just recently purchased a 22/45 with a cheap red dot myself and love shooting it.
    I can attest that taking it apart is a giant PIA, I nearly threw it across the room the first time.
    Other than that, i've had no issues with the gun.

I have a small collection of Standards, MKI's, MKII's, and one MKIII. Any future acqusition will be non-MKIII....the plastic loaded chamber indicator, magazine disconnect, and internal lock just piss me off!!!

I nearly threw it across the room the first time
    I have taken apart all of my Ruger pistols numerous times, but similar to you, my MKIII came VERY close to being on the receiving end of a 6lb sledgehammer just last week. LOL
    -Pete
    Greyhound Station, Downtown Houston

Both are accurate, reliable, and plain fun to shoot.

It is all a matter of weight, ergonomics, and aesthetics for me, and I own multiple copies of both.

Reassembly requires either humoungus amounts of patience, or a photographic memory.

Since I have neither, I keep the operator's manual at hand anytime I have to field strip them.
    It was what it was, back when it was good, and it ain't getting any better any time soon.

Lifetime Supporter

I have them both, like them both equally well.

Great shooters and very accurate.

Brad

TGT Supporter

My 22/45 just showed up at my ffl. Will pick it up tomorrow and let it rip this sunday or monday. It's on like donkey kong people !

Make it so TexMex: Let her rip!

If you can, avoid those sloppy lubricated solid lead rounds. Don't hurt function one bit, just makes a mess to clean up.
    It was what it was, back when it was good, and it ain't getting any better any time soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast