Texas Gun Forum Ad
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

quiet and accurate .22 vs pellet rifle for backyard target?

my son is in high school and wants to shoot on their rifle team (BB's from airguns) and I am thinking about getting something for him to shoot in the backyard that I might occasionally use to reduce the local varmit population. Pellet rifle would do I suppose and cheaper, but I am more inclined to something with a little more versatility. Anybody have experience shooting CBs or other subsonic quiet .22's? I have read that you will do better with accuracy from a short barrel (16") due to the low velocity. Welcome your thoughts....

For him. Stick with an air gun. The recoil impulse will be the same as he shoots at school.

For varmints. A .22 bolt gun with Colibri Super Sniper primer fired shorts is very quiet.

Tapatalk sent it.

Re: quiet and accurate .22 vs pellet rifle for backyard target?

CCI just released a ".22 Long Rifle quiet round."

Have not tried it yet.

Aquila makes a line of "Colibri" .22 Long Rifle ammo that has no powder, just the primer.

Those rounds will kill any skunk, possum, and raccoon you might encounter.

They work equally well in a revolver or short barreled carbine, but don't have the power to cycle a semi-auto.

Those are my "go to rounds" when the critters raid my dog's food bowl.

As for clean-up, I just toss the dead vermin off to the side of my yard, and within hours, the vultures clean up quite nicely.
    It was what it was, back when it was good, and it ain't getting any better any time soon.

I you're trying to help your son train for BB gun competitions, I don't think you wanna go rim fire. That being said, there are TONS of sweet pellet/BB guns on the market.

If you want to open pandora's box on this one, google Gateway to Airguns. Careful though, it's quite addicting.

Make sure you get familiar with laws on discharging firearms. It's pretty universally illegal inside city limits.
    Don't mind me, I'm just making sure I'm on all of the watch lists.

Quote Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
    Make sure you get familiar with laws on discharging firearms. It's pretty universally illegal inside city limits.
    Dangerous also. Even a pellet rifle can cause serious harm.

I am hoping your back yard isn't in a subdivision.
    Yes, sometimes I am no help at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Glockster69 View Post
    Dawico is a major PITA! But what really sucks is he's so often right

A "gun free zone" is tyrannies playground.
    I carry a gun to give me options, not a single solution.

Thanks for the feedback- no, I am (thankfully) not in a subdivision, or at least not the rabbit warrens style. You are entirely correct, however- wouldn't even think about this if I was. Sitting on one acre with 1-2 acres of woods buffer on two sides, woods/brush across the road and only "immediate" neighbor 70-80 yrds away. Feel pretty good about the safety issue, although no doubt a BB gun is safer than a pellet rifle. Would put up a backstop of some variety if I go with anything more than the BB gun. I will check out the pyramid website- thanks for directing me there as well.

If you want to help him in his competition, buy him exactly what he'll be shooting there. I sure would not want a neighbor on an acre or two shooting a .22 in his back yard.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

which is why I'll likely end up with the BB gun.... not because it's not safe, (subsonic CB's fly about the same velocity or less as a pellet rifle) but because I'd rather not have nervous neighbors thinking they live next to a "gun nut". Point taken on the idea of shooting what you compete with, however.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast