Texas Gun Forum Ad
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

carrying at texas motor speedway

i was wondering if i can legally carry at texas motor speedway during the NASCAR event. Ive been before and the only place a saw the 30.06 signs where on the elevators to go up to the suites. On texas motor speedway web site it says no firearms but it doesnt say anything about CHL holders. any thoughts

Re: carrying at texas motor speedway

here's my opinion.... so don't quote me.

The TMS does have sings stating that no weapons are allowed, however it is privately owned. There is no statute that makes it a crime to possess a firearm on private property even if signs are posted that prohibit. If your found to have a weapon on you, they will tell you to leave and if you don’t you are now trespassing. If you have your CHL, it is not a crime to carry at TMS… but you might not be welcomed at TMS

Isn't it considered a professional sporting event? If so, then no you may not.

thank for your input, i have carried at the races before just wanted to now if it was legally

Ignore what doubled said.

You can't carry on your CHL to a professional sporting event.
    Ban hurricanes

don't quote me on it - but your welcome...

and hey, if the drivers carry...

this is from their website... cleary it is against the rules of the facility; if it is illegal or not is another question.

All security measures are subject to change without notice.

Coolers are allowed inside the Speedway, but are subject to inspection by security officials and can be no larger than 14” X 14” X 14”.
    Only one cooler per ticket holder in the grandstands.
    Glass is not allowed inside the Speedway.
    Bags such as backpacks, fanny packs etc. are allowed, but are subject to inspection by security officials and can be no larger than 14” X 14” X 14”.
    Binoculars, scanners and cameras are allowed inside the Speedway.
    Strollers, umbrellas, skate boards, scooters or roller blades are not allowed in the grandstands.
    Items may not be left in or around the gate areas if they are not allowed inside.
    All items brought through the gate areas are subject to inspection by security officials.
    Guests are encouraged to arrive at the gates early to avoid traffic and to expedite entrance into the Speedway.
    Guests are not allowed to bring these items into Texas Motor Speedway - weapons or firearms, fireworks, illegal substances and items restricted by local, state and federal laws.
    The resale of Texas Motor Speedway admission tickets is strictly prohibited on the premises, which includes grounds and surrounding parking areas.

Mosted Hated Member

Lets look at the law;

Texas Penal Code
    Sec. 46.035. UNLAWFUL CARRYING OF HANDGUN BY LICENSE HOLDER

(b) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries a handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, regardless of whether the handgun is concealed, on or about the license holder's person:

(2) on the premises where a high school, collegiate, or professional sporting event or interscholastic event is taking place, unless the license holder is a participant in the event and a handgun is used in the event;

(f) In this section:

(3) "Premises" means a building or a portion of a building. The term does not include any public or private driveway, street, sidewalk or walkway, parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area.
    You cannot carry on the "premises" of a professional sporting event. It does not say you cannot carry AT a professional sporting event. Only carry on the premises is proscribed. So we have to determine what contsitutes the "premises". Fortunately, the law gives us a definition of the term. It means a building or a portion of a building.

So to answer your question we have to know where you will be at TMS. If you never enter a building or portion of a building, then you CAN carry there. Are the grandstands a "portion of a building"? While I have not attended an event at TMS I have to suppose they are. I am open to reasons why they should not be considered a portion of a building, but off hand they appear to be a portion of a building.

If you are taking an RV and staying in those parking areas, then PC 46.035 does not apply and carry under a CHL would be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by doubled
    The TMS does have sings stating that no weapons are allowed, however it is privately owned. There is no statute that makes it a crime to possess a firearm on private property even if signs are posted that prohibit.
    Please read penal code section 30.06. That is the section of law you are completely wrong about with that statement.
    If your found to have a weapon on you, they will tell you to leave and if you don’t you are now trespassing.
    No, you are committing tresspass by a license holder to carry a concealed handgun, section 30.06. Section 30.05 is trespassing, and specifically does not apply to CHLers.
    If you have your CHL, it is not a crime to carry at TMS… but you might not be welcomed at TMS
    Funny that you are correct, but not because of why you think. See my post above
    "Remember those who died, remember those who killed them."- Max Joseph

"Speed is fine, but accuracy is final"-Bill Jordan

Mosted Hated Member

Quote Originally Posted by doubled View Post
    this is from their website... cleary it is against the rules of the facility; if it is illegal or not is another question.
    The "rules" matter not when the carry of a handgun under a CHL is being considered. Only the law matters. TMS would have to post specific 30.06 compliant wording to make carry unawful, regardless of their rules. (this is not considering the PC 46.035 issue already discussed)
    "Remember those who died, remember those who killed them."- Max Joseph

"Speed is fine, but accuracy is final"-Bill Jordan

TMS has 30.06 compliant signs posted at the tunnel entrances to the infield. Thereby making it illegal to carry on the infield. They are not required to post signs for the stands, as txi pointed out they are specifically mentioned as a professional sporting event. According to some, it also qualifies as barred as a racetrack. I'm not here to debate the definition of racetrack, I'm just mentioning that it has been said.
    What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast