Texas Gun Forum Ad

CHL Renewal Question

It's time for me to renew my license again. This will be the third time I have renewed my license. I started the process on the DPS website but when I got ready to pay it listed the price as $70 and listed that I need the following supporting documents...

* CHL-100 Training Form* (received from CHL instructor upon course completion)* TxDPS will attempt to use the passport photo and resubmit the fingerprints on file for your renewal application. If either of these items does not meet current quality standards, TxDPS will notify the applicant and a new submission will be required.

My question is since this is the third time I am renewing and I completed the CHL-100 last time I renewed is the price still $70 and am I correct believing that I do not need to take the CHL-100 again? The site listed the below so I should just be able to renew entirely online and not have to submit any documents correct?

* CHL-100 (proof of Continuing Education course completion) is required for 1st and 2nd time renewals. After the 2nd renewal, applicants must complete a Continuing Education course once every 10 years (GC§411.185). Applicants do not have to take a course for their third consecutive renewal if a course was completed on the previous renewal.

Re: CHL Renewal Question

I would be interested in this answer. Finished CHL course in December 1995. I got my CHL in Spring 1996. I think I have had 3 renewals since then. Next renewal in 12-2013.

Mosted Hated Member

Quote Originally Posted by DaRedneck View Post
    It's time for me to renew my license again. This will be the third time I have renewed my license. I started the process on the DPS website but when I got ready to pay it listed the price as $70 and listed that I need the following supporting documents...

* CHL-100 Training Form* (received from CHL instructor upon course completion)* TxDPS will attempt to use the passport photo and resubmit the fingerprints on file for your renewal application. If either of these items does not meet current quality standards, TxDPS will notify the applicant and a new submission will be required.

My question is since this is the third time I am renewing and I completed the CHL-100 last time I renewed is the price still $70 and am I correct believing that I do not need to take the CHL-100 again? The site listed the below so I should just be able to renew entirely online and not have to submit any documents correct?

* CHL-100 (proof of Continuing Education course completion) is required for 1st and 2nd time renewals. After the 2nd renewal, applicants must complete a Continuing Education course once every 10 years (GC§411.185). Applicants do not have to take a course for their third consecutive renewal if a course was completed on the previous renewal.
    If DPS indicated you need a CHL100 then you need the class. Did you finish the application and print a receipt with a barcode across the top? If so, it has a checklist that tells you everything you need. If it lists a CHL 100 then you need the class. The renewal price is the same regardless.

Or, you could call DPS.
    "Remember those who died, remember those who killed them."- Max Joseph

"Speed is fine, but accuracy is final"-Bill Jordan

Appreciate the reply. No, I didn't finish the application. I didn't realize their system would be smart enough to tell me that I wouldn't need to take the CHL100 this time since this is my 3rd renewal but that is a good point you make. I am going to complete it now and see what is says I need to do to renew this time around. I'll post up the result. Thanks again.

I just finished the application and I printed out the Application Checklist and it is as clear as mud whether or not I need to take the CHL100. Under required items it does list the CHL100 on there BUT with an * note that says I that don't need the CHL100 if this is my third consecutive renewal and the course was completed on my previous renewal (which it is and it was). Apparently the system is not smart enough to know this is my third renewal and I have taken the CHL100 every time prior. I guess you are right and I am going to have to call DPS to get a definitive answer. I'll post their answer up after I get around to making the call.

Mosted Hated Member

Call DPS

I called and before I got to an actual live person I decided I wanted something in writing or traceable so I hung up and instead sent them an e-mail asking for an answer to my question. Not even 5 minutes later they responded to me so my hats off to the TX DPS. Glad I checked because as it turns out that I do not have to submit a CHL100. I renewed online so basically I am done minus mailing in the renewal application that I printed off of their website. Hope this helps any other CHLers out there that might have wondered about this. Here is their reply...

Mosted Hated Member

I called and before I got to an actual live person I decided I wanted something in writing or traceable so I hung up and instead sent them an e-mail asking for an answer to my question. Not even 5 minutes later they responded to me so my hats off to the TX DPS. Glad I checked because as it turns out that I do not have to submit a CHL100. I renewed online so basically I am done minus mailing in the renewal application that I printed off of their website. Hope this helps any other CHLers out there that might have wondered about this. Here is their reply...

Excellent. Be sure you review the laws.

Lifetime Supporter

Thank you very much for checking on this. I am in the process of renewing mine for the 4th time also and was unsure of what to do.

You stepped up to the plate and saved me some footwork.

Thanks you again.
    Brad

Lifetime Supporter

I know it's been a while on this thread, but I received my CHL Renewal (4th) with absolutely no problems. Sent the paper work in November with my license expiring in April.

I got my new license about 2 months before the expiration. It sure was nice not having to take the classes again.

Brad