Texas Gun Forum Ad
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Concealed Carry in Post Offices

I had to call a gun maker about an issue with a gun I was having. The person on the other end of the phone suggested that it is easier to use FedEx or UPS to ship the gun. I am pretty sure he got at least some of his facts wrong on this, but he suggested that walking into a Post Office and attempting to ship a gun to them (not being an FFL) would result in my prompt arrest.

This lead me to wonder weather concealed carry is allowed at Post Offices. On one hand, there is nothing in Texas law prohibiting it that I can find. Also, they certainly don't have the 30.06 sign out front.

On the other hand, national parks or other federal land located in Texas do not have the 30.06 sign, yet it is clearly illegal to carry at those places. The Federal government (rightly or wrongly) believes it does not have to post the sign. It totally would not surprise me if there is a federal law against this.

So, the question is, is concealed carry at post offices legal under federal law.

The secondary question is what is the law about a non-ffl shipping firearms? Iirc, it is legal to ship a firearm to/from the manufacturer for repair if you are not an FFL.

namaste,
    Mark

Oh boy, here we go again. :rofl:

First, you need to ship a hand gun via a common carrier, not the USPS. An FFL can. UPS and Fedex have their guidelines on-line.

As for carrying, there's a thread that hashes it out, actually every gun forum does, and it's never clear. Local laws have nothing to do with the USPS property (not just the building) though. If you ask you're local Postmaster, they may say they don't care, they might care, they might say they have no idea. If it's got a metal detector, don't bother.

Read the other thread and see if you can figure it out. It's got about everything anyone can say including federal and USPS laws quoted.

My post office has the warning on the door..."NO CARRY!" (paraphrased...)
    You can only have too much ammo if you are on fire or swimming....

My post office has a warning basically saying that robbing the place was against the law. Wouldn't have guessed that... *chortle*

The link to the other thread is:
    Legal Concealed Carry in a US Post Office

I'm no lawyer but the way I read the law it states that you can't carry in a post office for unlawful reasons. To me going in and getting my mail from the mailbox is a lawful reason so I keep my CCW on me. I've never seen any sign in any of the post offices around here that say "no firearms" except on the list of stuff you can't mail out.

But has stated before this has been discussed over and over and it still seems that no one is sure.
    "HK shouldn't make a 1911 style gun. They may accidentally make a reliable 1911 that can get dirty and still function just fine."

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ YALL!

Mosted Hated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hoytinak View Post
    I'm no lawyer but the way I read the law it states that you can't carry in a post office for unlawful reasons. To me going in and getting my mail from the mailbox is a lawful reason so I keep my CCW on me. I've never seen any sign in any of the post offices around here that say "no firearms" except on the list of stuff you can't mail out.

But has stated before this has been discussed over and over and it still seems that no one is sure.
    It is a violation of the CFRs to carry at a post office. I am sure.
    "Remember those who died, remember those who killed them."- Max Joseph

"Speed is fine, but accuracy is final"-Bill Jordan

Where are all of these people getting their CHLs from??? I keep reading all of these questions across the forum from CHL holders that do not know the most basic rules that I was taught in my CHL class. Is Ross Bransford (chl-texas.com) here in Austin about the only guy that teaches straight from the rule book? You as a non-LEO or reserve status LEO can NEVER take your firearm into a federal building. It is a class III felony whether you know that or not - ignorance is not the fault of the law. (I know that last part b/c a Giddings judge kindly told me at my first and only MIP hearing to which he enforced the highest fine at the time when I was 17)That said, this isn't the only place and time you should be reviewing the rules for concealed carry. A lack of knowledge in this area is what gives the liberals a lot of their ammo to use against us.
    :fighting0010:
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them"-George Mason
    -Liberalism is a mental disorder
    O3E(SW):texas:

Mosted Hated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by djspump2003 View Post
    Where are all of these people getting their CHLs from??? I keep reading all of these questions across the forum from CHL holders that do not know the most basic rules that I was taught in my CHL class. Is Ross Bransford (chl-texas.com) here in Austin about the only guy that teaches straight from the rule book? You as a non-LEO or reserve status LEO can NEVER take your firearm into a federal building.
    :fighting0010:

There is nothing in Texas CHL laws that address federal buildings, and as such no federal buildings are in the curriculum. It is NOT part of the CHL instructor's responsibility to discuss federal law.

To what rule book are you referring?
    "Remember those who died, remember those who killed them."- Max Joseph

"Speed is fine, but accuracy is final"-Bill Jordan

And let me throw this beer bottle. A USPS is not a federal building. :happy0001:

Quote Originally Posted by txinvestigator View Post
    There is nothing in Texas CHL laws that address federal buildings, and as such no federal buildings are in the curriculum. It is NOT part of the CHL instructor's responsibility to discuss federal law.

To what rule book are you referring?
    The rule book I am referring to is the LS-16 TEXAS CONCEALED HANDGUN LAWS AND SELECTED STATUTES that you can download from the DPS site. That is what CHL instructors should be teaching to and I will get back to ya'll on the exact listing referring to the counter area of the post office being restricted - what statute or rule pertains to that area.
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them"-George Mason
    -Liberalism is a mental disorder
    O3E(SW):texas:

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast