Texas Gun Forum Ad

Non-Resident CHL in Virginia?

Hey folks,

So I was at the Austin gun show this weekend and I saw a big poster board advertising for this website. Online Concealed Handgun Carry Permit Class - The short version is they offer an online instruction course (they say about 1 hour to take on average). Once you pass you submit for a non-resident CHL permit in the state of Virginia and once you pass the background check and all that, they will send you the permit. Since Texas observes Virginia CHL, they say it's no problem to carry here in Texas through this method.

The thing for me is that it's a lot less time to take (and from the convenience of your own home), AND it's only a $100 filing fee in VA as opposed to $140 here in TX. So the time and cost is a real perk for me. However, it just seems like it's too good to be true, or that there's stipulation somewhere that is going to end up making me waste money on the course only for it to not work as they say. So I was wondering if anyone here has ever done this, or know someone who did and if it's a legal issue in any way?

Thanks,

Re: Non-Resident CHL in Virginia?

There are a number of other states offering non-resident CHL's that are valid in Texas. Technically, it is legal.

One thing to consider is the example of Utah. Over the past several years, especially as DPS' processing time increased substantially with the drastic increase in CHL applications, UTAH non-resident CHL's became very popular. Fast forward to today and within the past year Utah passed a new state law that it would no longer issue or renew non-resident CHL's to people that did not already have a CHL from their state of residence. So now as all those Utah CHL's expire, everyone that thought they found a great way around dealing with the Texas CHL process will have no choice but to get either a Texas CHL or another non-resident CHL from some other state. This could always happen with other state's CHL's as well.

Honestly, is it really worth all the trouble? Taking a class for another state's CHL does not teach you about the laws and regulations of this state. That can be a liability to you. The law is always ambiguous, and it's pretty easy to be in violation of it unless you learn more about it. There are some weird grey areas and confusing areas in the law that most people aren't even aware of. I know it's more time involved and more expense but, I think it's a better idea to just take a Texas CHL class and not have to worry about any of these other potential issues. Having a Texas state CHL will also exempt you from the NICS check when filling out a 4473 to buy guns in this state. An out of state CHL does not qualify for that.
    "Ammo in the gun = Time in the fight." -Paul Gomez

Quote Originally Posted by Sig_Fiend View Post
    There are a number of other states offering non-resident CHL's that are valid in Texas. Technically, it is legal.

One thing to consider is the example of Utah. Over the past several years, especially as DPS' processing time increased substantially with the drastic increase in CHL applications, UTAH non-resident CHL's became very popular. Fast forward to today and within the past year Utah passed a new state law that it would no longer issue or renew non-resident CHL's to people that did not already have a CHL from their state of residence. So now as all those Utah CHL's expire, everyone that thought they found a great way around dealing with the Texas CHL process will have no choice but to get either a Texas CHL or another non-resident CHL from some other state. This could always happen with other state's CHL's as well.

Honestly, is it really worth all the trouble? Taking a class for another state's CHL does not teach you about the laws and regulations of this state. That can be a liability to you. The law is always ambiguous, and it's pretty easy to be in violation of it unless you learn more about it. There are some weird grey areas and confusing areas in the law that most people aren't even aware of. I know it's more time involved and more expense but, I think it's a better idea to just take a Texas CHL class and not have to worry about any of these other potential issues. Having a Texas state CHL will also exempt you from the NICS check when filling out a 4473 to buy guns in this state. An out of state CHL does not qualify for that.
    Yeah, that's what I've been thinking. For me the pressure has been on to finally do this, but with an infant at home it's been a challenge to find the time to devote to it. But you are right it would definitely be better for me to just take it here in state so there's no gray area.

Thanks

Also, another thing to keep in mind is, there are some instructors out there offering multi-day classes, like 2 5hr class days. That might make it a little easier. On top of that, if money is a concern, once you take the class and pass everything, the CHL-100 you get from class is valid for 2 years. That means you have 2 whole years to get your fingerprints, passport photos, and pay the state fee. That gives plenty of time to afford the additional $140.
    "Ammo in the gun = Time in the fight." -Paul Gomez

There is no way I'd soil my wallet with some other state's permit. That's just un-Texan.
    Shiner is my beer,
    The Reverend Horton Heat my preacher,
    Stoner's creation my passion,
    The Great State of Texas my Valhalla.

U.S. Army Veteran
    Texas National Guard Veteran
    Texas Landman
    Avid AR builder/collector
    Follow me on Twitter @TXARGUY

Quote Originally Posted by txarguy View Post
    there is no way i'd soil my wallet with some other state's permit. That's just un-texan.
    agree!
    Okie556
    Proud Viet Nam Vet

Quote Originally Posted by TXARGUY View Post
    There is no way I'd soil my wallet with some other state's permit. That's just un-Texan.
    Hahaha good point.