Texas Gun Forum Ad
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Corpus Christi but travel 4-5 months a year in motor home

Question Notification to Police Officer During Traffic Stop

In Texas, during a routine traffic stop, does a holder of a valid CHL (EVEN THOUGH NOT CARRYING AT THE TIME OF THE TRAFFIC STOP) have an obligation to advise the officer that the driver has a CHL and is currently not carrying ? THANKS.

No....but when they run you, they're gonna KNOW you've got one, so why not let 'em know an' make the stress levels lower for everyone? I ALWAYS advise that I've got one, and whether I'm carryin' or not. They DO appreciate it - as YOU would if the roles were reversed.
    The Texas Redneck
    Gruene H.O.G.
    FLHTCUI - Red, of course!
    NRA Benefactor Member * PGR * TSRA Life
    "In the shadow of the Alamo, any man looks small!"
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Quote Originally Posted by texasredneck View Post
    no....but when they run you, they're gonna know you've got one, so why not let 'em know an' make the stress levels lower for everyone? I always advise that i've got one, and whether i'm carryin' or not. They do appreciate it - as you would if the roles were reversed.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this
    Okie556
    Proud Viet Nam Vet

Corpus Christi but travel 4-5 months a year in motor home
    Thanks Texas Redneck. I am a former peace officer and that was my thought, but thought I'd ask.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
    No....but when they run you, they're gonna KNOW you've got one, so why not let 'em know an' make the stress levels lower for everyone? I ALWAYS advise that I've got one, and whether I'm carryin' or not. They DO appreciate it - as YOU would if the roles were reversed.
    +1
    Texas will again lift it's head and stand among the nations. It ought to do so, for no country upon the globe can compare with it in natural advantages. Sam Houston

“We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.” - Ben Franklin

I don't think that is required any longer. It once was but since lawful, concealed carrying of a handgun in your automobile, if you are of age, not prohibited from firearm ownership was passed, I believe revealing such was dropped. And concealed in the car meaning out of sight, in the console, glove compartment or covered with something. I don't know but if it's concealed on your body and you get out of the car, perhaps that is illegal unless you possess a CHL ?
    Si Vas Pacem, Para Bellum

NRA Lifer Since 1968
    Former 36th Div., TNG
    Former USMC

Blog Entries
    Red nailed it everyboby go home nothing to see here wel come sir!!
    shoot till they change shape or catch fire:fighting0010:
    if rattles take it to battle:banger:ie the 1911 nuff said
    TEXAS IS NOT MY BIRTHPLACE, BUT THIS WHERE MY SOUL REST

Quote Originally Posted by cuate View Post
    I don't think that is required any longer. It once was but since lawful, concealed carrying of a handgun in your automobile, if you are of age, not prohibited from firearm ownership was passed, I believe revealing such was dropped. And concealed in the car meaning out of sight, in the console, glove compartment or covered with something. I don't know but if it's concealed on your body and you get out of the car, perhaps that is illegal unless you possess a CHL ?
    If you don't have a CHL and have a gun on your person and step out of the car, you ARE guilty of carrying without a license. Even if you're carrying without a license (which, as noted, is no longer required), it's simply courtesy. Required? Nope - absolutely not. But I tell 'em. We all leave happier.
    The Texas Redneck
    Gruene H.O.G.
    FLHTCUI - Red, of course!
    NRA Benefactor Member * PGR * TSRA Life
    "In the shadow of the Alamo, any man looks small!"
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."Benjamin Franklin, 1759

I am always carrying on a non Res out of state license and have only been stopped once. He didn't ask and I didn't tell. He wanted to know where I was coming and going and what I was doing. I politely told him it was none of his business and please write me a ticket. If not I'd like to be on my way.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
    Also keep your hands on the steering wheel and not in your pockets or you lap. I am told that Police offices like it when they can see where your hands are when they walk up a car.

Always Fight Crime - Shoot back until it stops.
    NRA Member and supporter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast