• ...and so much more!
  • SARGE67

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2021
    Texas
    Those are good size fish on your pond. I always loved a smaller body of water, especially stock tanks/ponds. The old "90% of the fish are in 10% of the lake" saying. I remember bank fishing at my parent's pond in Rockwall several times. Dad had dug it out himself years ago with a backhoe or whatever. Shallow then tapered to 20 foot. They had lots of trees planted around the shoreline with overhang for shade and bugs to drop off. Each time I fished I got physically tired of catching the different fish on cranks. Bass, catfish, crappie, large sunfish. Dad kept them fat by mowing next to the pond and the grasshoppers flying. Looks like you were catching different ones on lures as well. Btw, pink and black combo jigs always my favorite.
    Guns International

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Those are good size fish on your pond. I always loved a smaller body of water, especially stock tanks/ponds. The old "90% of the fish are in 10% of the lake" saying. I remember bank fishing at my parent's pond in Rockwall several times. Dad had dug it out himself years ago with a backhoe or whatever. Shallow then tapered to 20 foot. They had lots of trees planted around the shoreline with overhang for shade and bugs to drop off. Each time I fished I got physically tired of catching the different fish on cranks. Bass, catfish, crappie, large sunfish. Dad kept them fat by mowing next to the pond and the grasshoppers flying. Looks like you were catching different ones on lures as well. Btw, pink and black combo jigs always my favorite.

This pond used to have a lot more brush around the banks - a lot got removed due to bringing the dam up to code - the old HOA leadership let it go to shit literally for 40 years with no maintenance - state failed it multiple inspections. It got back filled, all the trees 6 inches or less got removed from the dam, the remaining trees were limbed 20' minimum up from the ground, grass was laid down, the spill way had rock reinforcement. Other brush got removed just to open up new spots - that was a love-hate thing for me, because it opened some really good spots, but what made them good was the brush.

We also extended one of the docks by 10 feet. Most of the dam work was done by my friend Mike (owns a landscape company and did the work at-cost) and Mike, our friend David, and I rebuilt the dock.

A fish survey needs done, but they don't have $$ to do it. Would be good to know if there are tweaks that can be made to improve the fishery. There are some huge bass and cats in there already, but would be nice if there were more.

Black, pink, and chartreuse are killer colors for bream and crappies for sure.

Top Bottom