• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • usmcpmi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Central Texas
    From experience just as deemus described but I used a Lyman case trim express. I was kind of worried since it seems to index off the shoulder but I was sizing in a Lee and no issues? I didn't go as far as checking wall thickness though and now I feel kind of foolish. I do know that I didn't wrinkle any cases I made (used either Winchester, WCC or LC headstamp for conversion).

The fixture I got was from ebay and I just wish they were able to be adjusted for the cut since there was a massive amount of trimming needed after forming?

D
    The only reason I even mentioned the new neck wall thickness is because that area was originally the side wall...and I tend to o er think things...lol
    I'm sure you would have realized something was wrong if the rounds wouldn't chamber...

Sent from my SM-A125U1 using Tapatalk

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    Tumbling some more .556 prepping to be bobbed off.
    While surfing around for 50-70 brass I checked on Bayou Brass this morning.
    They showed 300 blackout in stock, new Starline, $34.00 for 100. I just had to call, figuring this was an out-of-date listing. Starline has not had them in stock for a long damn time. So I call, yep in stock. It appears Starline is shipping to dealers, but not listing them on their direct to customer page.

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    I find a lot of PRC and some LC brass just won't work - biggest reason is they use thicker brass which results in a neck thickness that "bulges" when you seat a bullet.
    Just my 2 centavos - worth less than 2 cents

This is worth far more than you give yourself credit for. There are a number of headstamps that you want to avoid because of this exact issue. You end up with a bulged neck or pushed back shoulder due to the neck thickness issue. You could size and ream but that's a real pain, especially since 300BLK brass is out there and easy to find.

If anyone wants to convert easily, rt1500 with a chipbreaking insert is the way to go. 1 pull and you are done by hand!

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Was reading through first thinking “why isn’t he using a harbor freight chopsaw” then “necks fine, except maybe LC brass”.

Glad y’all handled it. Good work, boys.

xkon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2020
    Houston
    Tumbling some more .556 prepping to be bobbed off.
    While surfing around for 50-70 brass I checked on Bayou Brass this morning.
    They showed 300 blackout in stock, new Starline, $34.00 for 100. I just had to call, figuring this was an out-of-date listing. Starline has not had them in stock for a long damn time. So I call, yep in stock. It appears Starline is shipping to dealers, but not listing them on their direct to customer page.
    I've ordered from starline in the past for 454, 10mm, and 308 at different times. Had to order it on backorder. Don't know if they stock much on hand inventory. Assume they do runs of the calibers when they have enough orders, fulfill their requests based on that. If waiting for a caliber specifically, probably better to put in a backorder instead of waiting to check if in stock if you ever need it again.

JoeMama

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2024
    Austin, Tx
    I have 2- 500 ct boxes of X-treme Brass in 300BO if anyone is interested. This is New brass. Listed on their site for $158/box but they are out of stock. I`d take a little less...

Coon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2023
    Montgomery
    This thread got me started looking into doing this. There’s a boatload of vids on YouTube about this. And with all those vids are the same number of different
    methods. A lot of them say to pull the expander/decapping pin out of the die and size before you cut them off, the cut them off and size them again with the expander installed. All that to say, Rick, have you had any problem with crushing any cases?

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    I just cut behind the shoulder and then size with the Lee die. Trim/turn/whatever to make them correct. Use Lee lube 50/50 with alky and toss in baggie to lube. Did use One-Shot till I ran out, this is cheaper.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    This thread got me started looking into doing this. There’s a boatload of vids on YouTube about this. And with all those vids are the same number of different
    methods. A lot of them say to pull the expander/decapping pin out of the die and size before you cut them off, the cut them off and size them again with the expander installed. All that to say, Rick, have you had any problem with crushing any cases?
    Anytime you create a new case from something else it's gonna seem like a WTF idea. But in most "cases" it's a lot easier than some make it out to be.
    You just need to pick the method that is right for your thoughts and outcome. I always take the easiest route and have never had an issue that couldn't be adjusted quickly.

Eastexasrick

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    No problems, I am cutting them them first so I can leave the expander installed. One shot resize, trim to length and done

db_tanker

Pig Whisperer
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 13, 2024
    Willis, TX
    I just cut behind the shoulder and then size with the Lee die. Trim/turn/whatever to make them correct. Use Lee lube 50/50 with alky and toss in baggie to lube. Did use One-Shot till I ran out, this is cheaper.

I liked how the Frankford Arsenal spray lube worked. Worked some google-fu and found that getting lanolin and 99% iso alcohol mixed at a 10 parts Iso to 1 part Lanolin recreates that mix approximately. So just as soon as I run out of the FA spray I'll mix my own.

Eastexasrick

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    I liked how the Frankford Arsenal spray lube worked. Worked some google-fu and found that getting lanolin and 99% iso alcohol mixed at a 10 parts Iso to 1 part Lanolin recreates that mix approximately. So just as soon as I run out of the FA spray I'll mix my own.
    I have used this with excellent results. Not sure I saved a dime, after hunting down 99% alcohol, lanolin and some small spray bottles. But if you are going to home brew, this is the answer.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    No problems, I am cutting them them first so I can leave the expander installed. One shot resize, trim to length and done

This is exactly what I do to make my 300Blk cases. That little China Freight saw works great, but the jig sold on Facebook helps the process go faster.

JTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2024
    Central
    On the case neck thickness, Ive only had one stick in the chamber (failing to go into battery) and it was Norma. I think I measured it at .0145. I then found This thread at 300blktalk.. Was a real PITA to get out. Ripped the rim off actually.
    Fwiw, I designed a fully adjustable jig to clamp in the Harbor Freight saw. I like the fact that I don't have to trim after the chop. Let me know if you're interested. https://centex3dprints.etsy.com
    Oh, and the carbide blade for that saw is worth its cost
    1000016042.jpg

Last edited:

JTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2024
    Central
    How do you get away with not trimming?
    The jig I use, I adjust the oal (I forget the number) but it took me a couple of cases to dial it in. I also revised the geometry of the jig where the case sits to account for the taper of 223 so it cuts more square. You could also run them through a 300 aac sizing die with no expander and then just chop the necks at the desired length. If I'm annealing, I usually anneal, form, then chop. But I rarely anneal. It helps that the carbide blade makes the cuts like butter.

JTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2024
    Central
    I think mine is either here or on the way. :)
    let me know what you think about it. I hope it serves you well. I'm always looking to change any designs based on feedback or requests. I do this for fun and all of my tools are usually based off of my own necessity (usually reloading), so any ideas are welcome.
    IF you manage to break it let me know and ill send a replacement.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom