• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gamboolman

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2008
    Spring, Texas - Retired
    Cleaning and straightening up.

Have about ~150 once fired 308 brass shell casings, see pics below.

Will mail to First Come First Serve. Send me a message with your address and we'll see can we get them in the mail to you.

If you want to help out on Postage – that would be nice.

Merry Christmas

gamboolman….

Y1MWEzNl.jpg

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    Damn... A sad tale, after taking the dies apart to clean and polish, I set the die up and really screwed up and set the sizing die to oversize the brass by a couple thousandths...

. Fast forward had a case separation and found that all the brass (over 600 pieces) are affected. Looking at the fired brass several show cracks at the web or very bright ring there. All the primers are flat and show over pressure and headspacing issues. Checked Headspace and it is fine.

Have to trash three times fired brass and take all the others apart now. Going to try an experiment with 10 grains Unique and 110 gr. lead RN bullets and see if there are any signs of case separation afterwards. Wish I had seen this earlier... gonna find more LC brass....

Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    Two things Wiliamr
    1. Do you anneal your cases? If not, start.
    2. No need for a full-length size each time. Keep the fired cases for the rifle they were fired in used separate, and shoulder bump the cases 0.002 and check for fit in that rifle. The bolt should easily close and the round will be fireformed to the chamber.

Your cases should last much longer than 3 reloads (even though you polished the die), and should improve consistency.

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    OZZMAN - Yes, I anneal. (been reloading for nearly 50 years now)
    The rifle is a semi - auto gun and the cases are all sized with small base sizer dies. I fucked up and failed to check the small base sizer set up. I over sized the brass. NO-ONE who has any experience with reloading can misunderstand this. The brass is .003 to .004 undersized and that my friend is a hell of damn lot of headspace. Most of the times, brass for me lasts 6 to 8 reloads with annealing the necks using Tempilaq and a IR gauge to set the timing on the anneal.

This time I fucked up. no ifs and or butts. Sooooo now I can shoot 110 grain lead out of a barrel to stretch the cases with minimal pressure ( about 24000CUP) That being the case they should be fine. The real issue is now I have about 1000 rounds to break down, and reload with lead bullets to then resize and play with. In all reality, those cases will now be good for one more safe firing after the lead.

Top Bottom