Anyone ever build (assemble) a bolt action rifle? Got thoughts?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    I think part of it depends on what barrel maker you want and for what action. The ones I have looked for are only about $75 more for a shouldered prefit.

I've never seen them that cheap, but I usually buy higher end barrel's. The last shouldered barrel I bought was a cut rifled Rock Creek and it was $750. The Kreiger and Bartlein barrel's I've bought in the past were around the same price.
    Most pre-fit barrel nut style barrel's will run anywhere from $179 - $450 depending on the brand.

ARC Nucleus 2.0 with shouldered Rock Creek barrel
    43xniW2.jpg

ARC Archimedes with X-Caliber barrel / nut
    Y8Xm2v6.jpg

ARC Nucleus 1.0 with ARC BarLoc nut and X-Caliber barrel
    MZkFqJE.jpg

Shilen DRG with Shilen select match barrel / nut
    D4YGd06.jpg

Plus a crap load of Savage and Remington action's that I've rebarreled for myself and friend's over the years using pre-fit barrel's and barrel nut's.
    VbSEpoa.jpg

Zb8LNlG.jpg
    DK Firearms

db_tanker

Pig Whisperer
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 13, 2024
    Willis, TX
    I’ll probably need to find/build one that requires a bit less customization

:)

1710512197980.png

Like I said the stock is a bit of a beater but everyone who has shot it love it lol

The little AR is another home build - my first 80 as well. I wanted to build a 300 blackout 16" with just scraps and parts I had laying around and IT turned out to be one of my most fun and accurate rifles.

The one below THAT is my most recent - 6.5 Grendel with a bit more effort. I got a good deal on a BCA upper, Aero 2 stage trigger, Leupold mount and scope, Magpull grip and stock.

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    What's ugly about a barrel nut?
    I've never noticed much of a difference visually.
    Accuracy wise, there is no difference if setup correctly.
    Price wise there is a big difference between a shouldered prefit barrel and one using a barrel nut. I have them both ways, and the shouldered barrels run around $300 more.

It’s a personal thing. I just don’t care for the looks of them. I know they can shoot either way.

I’ve not seen a shouldered prefit cost $300 more in any barrel, even high end carbon ones and certainly not stainless ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    It’s a personal thing. I just don’t care for the looks of them. I know they can shoot either way.

I’ve not seen a shouldered prefit cost $300 more in any barrel, even high end carbon ones and certainly not stainless ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Where are you looking and buying shouldered pre-fits from?
    Almost every place I know that makes them with a high quality blank ranges from $550 - $900 for a shouldered pre-fit.
    I know Northland does a Criterion shouldered barrel for $400 +/-, but they are only for Zermatt actions.

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    Where are you looking and buying shouldered pre-fits from?
    Almost every place I know that makes them with a high quality blank ranges from $550 - $900 for a shouldered pre-fit.
    I know Northland does a Criterion shouldered barrel for $400 +/-, but they are only for Zermatt actions.

I was responding to the statement about shouldered prefits being $300 more than a barrel nut style prefit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

TexasHorn7

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2023
    Dallas
    I built two rifles around Zermatt Actions and prefit barrels . One has a shoulder and the other a barrel nut.
    - A barrel nut barrel will be lighter than a shouldered profit.

If you build on an Origin, plan to use a DBM of some sort. My BDL version is hard to chamber. I am looking for a replacement stock.
    IMG_0135.jpeg

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    I was responding to the statement about shouldered prefits being $300 more than a barrel nut style prefit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    I was too. Show me some quality shouldered pre-fits that don't cost $300 more than a barrel nut style pre-fit.
    Chambering & Threading a barrel for the nut doesn't take much time to do.
    Turning a barrel down for the shoulder, chambering it for correct head spacing, and then threading it takes a lot longer to do.
    Time equals money in the machining business.

Top Bottom