• ...and so much more!
  • glenbo

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    I had one, but someone else wanted it more than I did. Now I'm thinking about another, but I still have 5 new in the package 30-round magazines from the Scorpion 1 and don't know if they will work with the 3+ now available. I haven't been able to find a definitive answer anywhere, so just wondering if someone knows. CZ says the new 3+ magazines are backward compatible, but they pointedly do not say if the old ones are forward compatible.

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    I had one, but someone else wanted it more than I did. Now I'm thinking about another, but I still have 5 new in the package 30-round magazines from the Scorpion 1 and don't know if they will work with the 3+ now available. I haven't been able to find a definitive answer anywhere, so just wondering if someone knows. CZ says the new 3+ magazines are backward compatible, but they pointedly do not say if the old ones are forward compatible.
    The new CZ Scorpion 3+ has a new lower that uses an AR style magazine catch. this means that the “old” magazine won't lock in place. But....I've heard you can fix the issue with a little Dremel work.

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    I have a Scorpion Micro that uses the old mags. They will not work in the new version without modification.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

glenbo

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    Thanks for the answers, that's what I expected. I'll take the old mags to the next gun show and see if I can sell them. I'm not mechanically inclined enough to try modifying them.

houstongun807

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2023
    Houston
    Please fill me in, I know nothing about this.
    It's caused by CZ's bad bolt design. Basically shooting anything past a round every second has a chance of causing an OOB, and from what I've heard even their newest models have this issue. If this happens, they will avoid liability and instead claim you used aftermarket parts or over-pressurized ammunition.
    XJhvRfk.jpg

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    It's caused by CZ's bad bolt design. Basically shooting anything past a round every second has a chance of causing an OOB, and from what I've heard even their newest models have this issue. If this happens, they will avoid liability and instead claim you used aftermarket parts or over-pressurized ammunition. View attachment 414097
    Hyperbole much? Specifics matter. A small number of Scorpion owners have had issues with excessive wear around the firing pin block on the bottom of the bolt. Material peened over and interfered with the firing block safety. If the problem is allowed to progress unchecked, it can create an issue when engaged in rapid fire because it is possible that the bolt will bounce back when the firing pin moves forward creating an OOB. It is a simple thing to check for and of little concern to people that routinely maintain their Scorpions....ask me how I know.

houstongun807

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2023
    Houston
    Hyperbole much? Specifics matter. A small number of Scorpion owners have had issues with excessive wear around the firing pin block on the bottom of the bolt. Material peened over and interfered with the firing block safety. If the problem is allowed to progress unchecked, it can create an issue when engaged in rapid fire because it is possible that the bolt will bounce back when the firing pin moves forward creating an OOB. It is a simple thing to check for and of little concern to people that routinely maintain their Scorpions....ask me how I know.
    You're right, didn't mean to suggest it was happening to every other owner. But you'd expect better from a company like CZ and this shouldn't have to be something you need to watch out for after every range trip.

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    You're right, didn't mean to suggest it was happening to every other owner. But you'd expect better from a company like CZ and this shouldn't have to be something you need to watch out for after every range trip.
    As with everything, YMMV. Also note that CZ was forced to redesign, per ATF, certain features on the Scorpion, including the bolt, before they were allowed to import it into the US.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I have an original first gen pistol but it's a safe queen. It was a little jammy in the first few mags but it's probably not even broken in yet. Always wanted to double stamp it but I've been dragging my feet. I'm admittedly clueless about the newest generation of them.

Destroyer357

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 23, 2023
    Dfw
    I have both the new one and old one - a little dremel trick does the work; but CZ factory mags aren't that expensive to begin with though

glenbo

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    The new CZ Scorpion 3+ has a new lower that uses an AR style magazine catch. this means that the “old” magazine won't lock in place. But....I've heard you can fix the issue with a little Dremel work.
    Does that mean, in your opinion, that the new lower is better in any way than the older one?

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    Does that mean, in your opinion, that the new lower is better in any way than the older one?
    New lower is more ergonomic because they got rid of the awkward slant original grip but you can change that out to whatever grip you want that will fit. Also has a new ambi bolt catch/release design. Overall, I'd say its an improvement over previous generations but your still going to want to add a Magpul flipper mag release and a different safety selector.

Top Bottom