Capitol Armory ad

Anyone Know of Someone Who Does Professional Scope Repair In The Houston Area?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RedRobin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2022
    Katy
    I went down the same path years back. I had an old Japanese Tasco that I wanted to have warrantied. If I remember correctly, they were bought out and the “lifetime” warranty is no longer valid. I may be getting my facts mixed up but that’s how I recall it.

Found my old thread from when I began searching. https://www.texasguntalk.com/threads/scope-repair-for-reticle.66971/
    When I was searching around yesterday a couple of places said that Bushnell had bought Tasco around 2002 then a few years later another parent company bought the Bushnell/Tasco lines. Supposedly Bushnell DOES still honor the Tasco warranty for scopes made after the 2002 buyout. I don't know what year mine was manufactured. I'm pretty sure the model I have was still being manufactured after 2002 but mine might have made before that.

jjkukla

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Richwood
    They're not in Houston, but SWFA is in Texas. They're great with their products so maybe they can help with your Tasco?

Worth a shot.

RedRobin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2022
    Katy
    In 983 I bought some Steiner Commander binoculars that had a life time warranty on them. I drop them & the compass range finer & illumination compartment breaks off. Then they start clouding up, so I send them back.

Now they are telling me they are not covered by a lifetime warranty, tough shit have a nice day. These are the same binoculars that Tank Commander in NATO are said to be using. I tell them I do have a card that said they are lifetime & would be more then happy to mack a copy & send it to themMore phuc you from them.

At the time I was pretty active on Accurate Reloading in the safari section.I started a thread & it was mixed like 60/40 % as far as don't let them screw you.

I emailed Steiner in Germany including link to the thread. I mentioned the lifetime warranty card I had from the purchase. I also pointed out the Zeiss, Swarovski, Leica, and all the other high end manufactures had lifetime warranties also. I told them if I knew they were not going to be honorable in the warranty I would have save a little longer for some Swarovski EL's.

Apparently the Germans did not like the thread on Accurate reloading and caved to the American distributors to shut that guy up.

I get phone call from Pioneer Marketing who represent Steiner at the time. He explains the Germany want me to STFP & go away.& they were going to send mea new set of binoculars. I said will these be cover by the lifetime warranty & he said no. The binoculars no longer came with a lifetime warranty. What's it going to take to make you happy? I said replace them with some Swarovski with a life time, to which nested no can do.I ended up getting their 7X42 Predators instead. He explained their binoculars are basically high end disposables. The bodies are plastic and when the purge them with nitrogen they are the sealed shut.

One thing I learned really fast working as a meat cutter in a grocery store. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. One pissed off customer tells 5 people who each tells another 5 people, next thing you know your phuced.
    True story about the squeaky wheel usually getting the grease. When I was younger and more patient I would pursue issues like that and more often than not it would turn out in my favor. I've gotten lazy in my old age. LOL. (But I'm not saying I wouldn't still try it if I could get my testosterone up a little bit.)

RedRobin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2022
    Katy
    They're not in Houston, but SWFA is in Texas. They're great with their products so maybe they can help with your Tasco?

Worth a shot.
    I just spoke to them on Friday about my SWFA with the same problem. The customer service was definitely hassle free. I've owned a few SWFA scopes for a few years now and this is the first one I ever needed to send back. I don't know if they actually do any repair work at their facility or just replace everything that is sent back to them . But their warranty does say repair or replace. It would be interesting to ask them if they actually perform any repairs and if they would mess with another brand of scope.

RedRobin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2022
    Katy
    Most " Lifetime" warranties aren't worth the paper they are printed on. Just look at Nikon, Weaver, and many other brands that either quit making scopes, or were bought out and combined with other companies.
    Most of the companies that do honor their warranties will only replace an out dated model with a lesser value scope. Most do not make repairs to them.
    I've heard and read that about the warranties from countless people. I never had to experience it myself. The two scopes I have now with the internal flaking are the first scopes I've ever had a problem with in my life. Granted, I don't own a lot of scopes and I actually despised them until about 10 years ago at 50 yrs old. I was hard core iron sights all my life prior to that. When I experienced that infamous day,(in my mid 40's), that strikes middle aged people seemingly overnight when your vision suddenly drops off, I still forced my self to squint and strain with the irons for a few more years. I haven't hunted in a couple of decades now. I've just been a range bum. So my scopes have very easy duty.

Orbie

Born Texan
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    When I was searching around yesterday a couple of places said that Bushnell had bought Tasco around 2002 then a few years later another parent company bought the Bushnell/Tasco lines. Supposedly Bushnell DOES still honor the Tasco warranty for scopes made after the 2002 buyout. I don't know what year mine was manufactured. I'm pretty sure the model I have was still being manufactured after 2002 but mine might have made before that.
    I wish you luck. I eventually tossed mine out because the quotes I was getting for repair were so high.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    If it is an older Tasco, from the company that went belly up, before the current one bought the rights - well then there is no surviving warranty on it. If it is from the newer company, heck do what other have said and see if they will fix it or replace it. Tell them you prefer to have it fixed. My guess is that bring it to a repair shop is going to cost double or more than it is worth.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    More reason to buy the higher end optics. I have a friend who makes over $100K yet buys cheap crap optics. A year later he's crying about it, then repeats the stupidity.
    You can get some lower end models (and lots of high end models) at Vortex and still get their lifetime warranty. They replaced a pair of binoculars I got from work, I think after and due to 9/11. One of the two plastic pieces that held the strap in place had broken off. They did not repair it they sent me a completely new pair of the same binoculars many years after I acquired mine. As long as they remain in business and have that warranty, I likely will buy any new optics I get from them.

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    You can get some lower end models (and lots of high end models) at Vortex and still get their lifetime warranty. They replaced a pair of binoculars I got from work, I think after and due to 9/11. One of the two plastic pieces that held the strap in place had broken off. They did not repair it they sent me a completely new pair of the same binoculars many years after I acquired mine. As long as they remain in business and have that warranty, I likely will buy any new optics I get from them.

I just don’t get this thought process.

I’ll buy this cheap scope/bino, etc because WHEN it fails, and it will, they will send me a new one.

I’ve had several scopes from Vortex over the years and every, single one has been returned due to failures.

I don’t have time for that nonsense. Wanted time, ammo, potential miss while hunting. No thanks. I’ll buy proven optics that I likely will never need to use the warranty on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Top Bottom