• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dude1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2021
    Texas
    It would be cool if it were a clip on option to go in front of the scopes I already use, but would be open to other options as well.
    Thank y’all much in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Venture Surplus ad

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Agm has a 19mm 250ish pixel thermal for right at $1k. Has it limits, but it would be a handy scope for short range hogs or rabbits.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

NWFA

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 29, 2013
    Strictly speaking NV, atn 4k pro with an aftermarket IR (coyote cannon) is really good and well under $1k. Thermals are the next step up. What are you interested in doing?

Dude1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2021
    Texas
    Strictly speaking NV, atn 4k pro with an aftermarket IR (coyote cannon) is really good and well under $1k. Thermals are the next step up. What are you interested in doing?

thanks for the response!
    Well, I’d love to have a thermal, but I have heard you can’t get a quality one in that price range, but that may not be true anymore.

NWFA

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 29, 2013
    Going to assume you’re hunting pigs in the dark? I made the switch from night vision to thermal in the spring. ATN worked fine for 100-150 yards. Thermals at 1k are okay for 100-150 yard, max. It’s not really distance, it’s quality of the picture at a distance. Good and higher definition are $2k and above

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

As modern technology develops, it attracts more buyers, and prices come down.

I recall back when color TV & auto A/C were considered prohibitively expensive.

Much of the original technology came from photomultiplier tubes used in Medicine. the originals were enormous & unwieldily.

Meanwhile, many feral hog hunters have sidestepped it all by adding cheap low intensity LED lamps to their feeders.

<>

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    NV is basically your iphone camera without near IR filter and small vid display. Uses silicon CCD array. IR (thermal) is basically the same but IR sensor array that isn't cheap (only a few manufacturers of large arrays) and glass is gemanium. AGM rattler 25x384 2x mag I could ID a small hog (<100#) @ 100 yds. One 1x could see the hog but couldn't ID. I knew what it was but could NOT make positive ID. It's the number of 'pixels' in the sensor that increases resolution. I have an ATN IR monocle, resolution is much less but so was the cost.
    It appears we get the left-over from Mil production (IR) so near term don't expect great cost reduction.

paknheat

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2022
    Texas, Somewhere near Palestine

I had a chance to take a look at this particular optic & I gotta say I liked it.

A buddy has one on his 6.5 Grendel AR & let me bean a hog in the brain pan with it during a visit out to his place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Dude1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2021
    Texas
    I was really expecting “don’t waste your money unless you got $4k for the real deal” but got some really cool options that are affordable and practical!

Perchowski

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Houston
    I have a 2700+ FOM L3 filmless PVS14 Im looking to sell in Houston area. Looking to get 4k for it though. Best bet for cheaper night vision is probably the Sionox or however it's spelled digital night vision monocular.

CarlS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2023
    Austin
    I just placed an order for the AGM TS25-384 V2. It seems to offer even better resolution than the older 35-384 with better battery life and the same base 2x mag.
    $1800 shipped is about as cheap as I think I'll get and still have solid performance that won't leave me wanting more as soon as I get this one.

I always look for used deals first but TXGT still has most sellers asking that for V1 35-384 or the equivalent. I'd rather get the newer tech and full warranty. I think older thermals might start dropping on the used market once people figure that out. I didn't want to wait and my budget was sub $2k

NWFA

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 29, 2013
    The rattlers is great for sub 2k and shooting under 100 yard. When you spend more, you’ll get better pixel density so you’ll see more details at normal display and at zoom. My first thermal was a rattler and then I got a Burris. Facebook has plenty of NV/thermal sales group for used optics. Ironically, I never shot a pig with thermal and I use mine to track wounded axis on night hunts lol

NWFA

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 29, 2013
    Additional context. I am not saying anyone should buy a unit from someone out of state off of Facebook…Texas specific Facebook groups have a lot of options and you can find someone locally. That would be ideal. As I continue to hunt and grow my passion, I’ve gotten away from pig hunting so avoid my mistake of spending a bunch up front and not really putting it to use lol

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Busy rookies
    Top Bottom