• ...and so much more!
  • SARGE67

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2021
    Texas
    Not sure where I saw this but saved long ago. I never knew the details behind the slogan. Whether this one is true or not, works for me.

"It was September of 1835, and tensions were escalating between the Mexican government and the Texans. Santa Anna sent troops to disarm the Texans, and a force was dispatched to the town of Gonzales to retrieve a small bronze cannon. The Texans refused to turn over the cannon. After some fighting, a meeting was held in the field between the two opposing forces. Col. John Henry Moore suggested to Lieutenant Francisco de Castañeda that he either surrender and join the Texans in support of the Constitution of 1824, or prepare to fight. Moore pointed to the cannon and told Castañeda that the little cannon was on the field, and he should just try to “Come and Take It”. This now-famous flag was flying over the cannon. Moore turned around and shouted “Fire“—and a shot was fired from the cannon. The Mexican troops immediately wheeled around and withdrew to San Antonio. The flag, back then called the Old Cannon Flag, was reportedly fashioned by Sarah Seely DeWitt and her daughter, Evaline, from Noami DeWitt’s wedding dress. It was of white cloth, with a lone star above a cannon, and the words “come and take it” beneath the cannon. It was Texas’ first battle flag, and first lone star flag. Today we call it the Gonzales Come and Take It flag."
    Lynx Defense

Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    It's still a big deal here.

One of my good friends is a descendant of the Immortal 32.

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    It's still a big deal here.

One of my good friends is a descendant of the Immortal 32.

Thanks, enjoyed the read.
    Somebody should go get that bell.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County

Don't forget about Goliad either. I feel like sometimes it doesn't get the recognition it deserves.

The two battle cries at San Jacinto were "Remember the Alamo" and "Remember Goliad".

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

Every few years, we round-up some Grandkids & make the ‘’pilgrimage’’ to the Alamo and Goliad.

I find as much American History in S A & N O as in Boston or Philadelphia.

Having been to Philadelphia numerous times, last visit while I was busy @ Hospital of University of PA; I told my South Texas Wife to take a ‘’History Tour’’.

When I got back to the Hotel, I found her in tears. She explained that the federal guides & docents were all Black and only related the ‘’Liberty Bell’’ to a ‘’freeing of the slaves’’; never even mentioned the Continental Congress, Constitutional Convention, Dr. Bren Franklin, etc.

Before anyone claims ’’white privilege’’; Wife isn’t exactly lily-white, herself.

I sympathize with any actual. Slave descendants, but that is absurd !

leVieux

<>

sparkyv

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Deepinnaheartta, Texas
    Sounds like an Orwellian ‘’History Tour’’.
    Having been to Philadelphia numerous times, last visit while I was busy @ Hospital of University of PA; I told my South Texas Wife to take a ‘’History Tour’’.

When I got back to the Hotel, I found her in tears. She explained that the federal guides & docents were all Black and only related the ‘’Liberty Bell’’ to a ‘’freeing of the slaves’’; never even mentioned the Continental Congress, Constitutional Convention, Dr. Bren Franklin, etc.
    <>

Top Bottom