• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2ManyGuns

Revolver's, get one, shoot the snot out of it!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    I recently purchased am inexpensive micro-pc with an Intel chipset/video, 500Gb SSD C:\ drive and 16 Gb RAM. I added a 1 Tb SSD for loading programs and data storage. Works fine for streaming and surfing, no problem with a couple of 27 inch Samsung monitors.

What I'm interested in is experimenting with some Linux Distros on my old PC, which is an original I7 CPU, 16 Gb Ram and 5 VelociRaptor HDD, and an older video Nvidia card that still functions fine. This PC is no longer WinDoze compliant. Before WinDoze 11 tried to install and borked things it ran and functioned fine for my current uses. I'm interested in playing with Linux. I have not spent much time keeping up with tech/software in the last 10 years, the last linux distro I played with was probably 15-20 years ago. I'm just looking for somewhere to start, Peppermint seems to be a reasonable choice, or Zorin OS since I have become a lazy WinDoze user.

Any leads would be appreciated.
    Lynx Defense

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    I'm d/l ing a copy of Zorin OS now, but it is an 12 hour d/l. I think the internet is frozen with this Arctic Blast! LOL.

The Boss texted yesterday and said NOT to go to work today, I'm happy with that 300+ miles of driving in this shit and working outdoors would have been miserable today. Going to have leftover chicken w/rice soup and homemade blackberry cobbler. I prepared for this Friday and picked a bottle of Woodford Reserve and Maker's Mark in case I need some internal antifreeze of my own. If the power goes down, I can light my gas cook stove with a match and cook, and it is cold enough I can set my beer outside to chill. I had a hundred gallons of propane delivered on Friday so I have about 160 gallons in my tank. I'm set for the next couple of days.

Lead Belly

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    Def give it a whirl- nothing like the old days: hunting for drivers. It gets overwhelming reading which one, so just try a few- can boot from USB stick without install to sdd.

few nice distros

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I've used Ubuntu, Fedora, and CentOS. Ubuntu is the most user friendly and is easiest as far as hardware compatibility goes.

Reactions: Eli

JGA177

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2024
    Austin
    Def give it a whirl- nothing like the old days: hunting for drivers. It gets overwhelming reading which one, so just try a few- can boot from USB stick without install to sdd.

few nice distros
    I remember doing the ELF linux installs back in 1996. one screwup there and you had to start over :banghead:

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I always recommend Ubuntu to start with, as they have the most polished install and first-use process out there of all the distros.

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    I started using Ubuntu when they introduced their first LTS in 2006, been using Debian for over a decade for my desktop.

I'm also going to vote for Ubuntu, it's pretty compatible and easy to install.

Eli
    I'll add that it may be easiest and best to install 22.04.X LTS, the LTS versions only need full upgrades every 2 years instead of 6 months. I'm not sure what the default is nowadays, it's been a LONG while since I messed much with regular Ubuntu.

Eli

2ManyGuns

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    I built a Zorin Thumbdisk to boot from, just haven't set up the old PC with a monitor. Other things take priority.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Busy rookies
    Top Bottom