• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    Prior to getting my CHL last winter I promised myself I would make a trip to the gun range at least once a month so I joined one of the local clubs to get away from the public range knuckleheads. As I work a 4 day work week I loaded up my gear and headed out to the gun club on Friday morning to just have a few hours to clear my head. Nope, there are no pictures showing my groupings with the Colt or S&W and to tell you the truth my shooting was and is really mediocre. But you know, some days it's just really nice to get away from the world and think of nothing but poking holes in paper.....

I agree, I don't have a very stressful job, however I do like to go out to the hills and fire a few rounds, ok a few hundred rounds at some paper at least once a week.

As soon as I get my reloading equipment I may have to buy more targets (or print some more).

Moezilla

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2008
    Allen
    Ok, I bit the bullet and followed HK_Fiend's advice and ordered Shooting Missology DVD. It'll have to do until I can get some time and find a good place for training, although I am looking at a training option in McKinney but that won't be til December. The next DVD I'll be getting will be the Armed Response DVD when it is released.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Ok, I bit the bullet and followed HK_Fiend's advice and ordered Shooting Missology DVD. It'll have to do until I can get some time and find a good place for training, although I am looking at a training option in McKinney but that won't be til December. The next DVD I'll be getting will be the Armed Response DVD when it is released.

The movie runs about 1hr 30min. I'd recommend watching it a few different times, like maybe once a week for a couple weeks. Like I said, the info in it is pretty "basic" when you think about it, but there are a lot of little aspects Yeager discusses in the videos that can really have a major effect on accuracy and improving speed of follow up shots. I've watched it 4 times so far, and I noticed a new little aspect every time I've watched it. It's a good dvd, I think you'll enjoy it. It's probably a bit too basic in content for those that are more advanced, especially for people that are already involved in competition shooting.

Moezilla

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2008
    Allen
    Not a competition shooter and not very interested in it, although IDPA does look interesting. Main issue now is cost, with ammo prices running up and if Obama gets in, they'll probably skyrocket on taxes. :(

Texshooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Houston, TX
    You should try reactive targets such as steel plates, soda cans, etc... They are a lot more fun, they provide instant feedback. Assuming you can find a place to shoot them.

Tex

Owens

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Levelland
    Ah... Range time. Or as I call it - Percussive Therapy.

Fortunately, I have that available to me once a week at no charge courtesy of employer. Right across the street.

Challenge - keeping up with the demand for reloads. Nothing a little time won't fix, but then a box of 22rf is cheap.

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    Not a competition shooter and not very interested in it, although IDPA does look interesting. Main issue now is cost, with ammo prices running up and if Obama gets in, they'll probably skyrocket on taxes. :(

Moezilla, I recommend you start looking into reloading if you plan on doing a lot of shooting. I myself am not into competition shooting but I do however do a lot of shooting at the range and in the hills so I've come to the conclusion that reloading my own ammo is going to in the long run save me money.

sheepdog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2008
    Texas, of course...
    Group therapy

My wife actually suggests that I go to the range sometimes. I love to shoot IDPA, but sometimes just standing still, working on basics, trying to shoot the best groups I can, hit a steel plate or target paster from some distance or make those 25 yard head shots with a whole magazine takes away distractions of everyday life. I'm in plugs and muffs, am lucky enough to often have the range to myself, and for the time I'm out there, I think about nothing but holding the gun, pressing the trigger, and the front sight, and everything else just sort of goes away. When I get home, my mood is so much better, I know why my wife sent me out there.

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    Yeah, I walked in to Shiloh a couple of weeks ago with about 100 rounds or so, 20 minutes later when I walked out, they looked at me, asked if I felt better, and sure enough I did..... Gun range therapy works!

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, I walked in to Shiloh a couple of weeks ago with about 100 rounds or so, 20 minutes later when I walked out, they looked at me, asked if I felt better, and sure enough I did..... Gun range therapy works!

Dude, some nights I'll go 100rds in like 5-10 minutes. It kind of sucks because then you think "Damn! I came all the way out here and I'm spent in 5 minutes". lol ;) I think that's how I've ended up spending tons of money shooting 200-500+ on MANY range trips. Just trying to keep the therapy going. Man, I need a .22lr gun! ;)

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    I enjoy target shooting, but I've found it gets extremely expensive very quickly because well everyone that does it you know you run into a guy that want to try your gun and you try his and pretty soon your like I've got to get one of those. So here ya go back to the gun shop for another gun, then you have to buy ammo for that gun, and then do the same thing all over again.

CowDog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2008
    South of Iowa Park
    Better than Transcendental Meditation. (Don\\\'t ask how I know.) The calm lasts a good length of time, usually. Sometimes though, I look at the target, and realize that on some days, I\\\'m just wasting ammunition....can\\\'t hit a bull in the butt with a bass fiddle. I usually quit and go home. This gives me a good excuse to go back sooner, and take another treatment.

Top Bottom