• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toby1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2018
    Llano, Tx
    Just like my title states, I want a Skeet marked Winchester model 42. Besides they ain't cheap and .410 is non-existent, what else do I need to know? Any known weaknesses? Any serial number ranges to avoid? My dad had one, but I don't remember it. I grew up shooting dove with a bolt action .410. This will be a shooter, maybe a 50's era version, not a queen, but I'm looking for as nice condition as I can afford, but not no $10,000 probably $2,500. or less. Ha, Ha Thank You.
    Oh, I plan to use it for doves, skeet and the occasional turtle in the tank.
    Guns International

single stack

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    FL
    You won’t find a Skeet Grade for less than $5000.
    You might find a Standard grade choked and marked Skeet for your $2000. Skeet choke is overrated for the .410.
    In the mighty .410 skeet choke is only good for skeet. Use Full choke for everything else.
    For your reading pleasure:

toby1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2018
    Llano, Tx
    You won’t find a Skeet Grade for less than $5000.
    You might find a Standard grade choked and marked Skeet for your $2000. Skeet choke is overrated for the .410.
    In the mighty .410 skeet choke is only good for skeet. Use Full choke for everything else.
    For your reading pleasure:
    Thanks for the article, it answered a couple more questions in my mind. I may have to add a few more pennies to my piggy bank. But, that was a beautiful gun.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I've always wanted one of these but could never find one at a reasonable price.
    People want a lot for them, even the plain old field models.
    Last one I looked at was a chewed up Bubba Special Brown Gun that had the stock cut way down and some yakamoto brand screw-in choke. Only $2000. Pass.

toby1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2018
    Llano, Tx
    Follow link below, they have a few. It’s been on my wish list for some time. https://www.collectorsfirearms.com/products/192698-winchester-model-42-410-gauge-w9025.html
    Thanks, guess what short old fat guy is going shopping tomorrow? I have never been to the Austin location, but I used to haunt their Houston location all of the time. The only museum where if you had deep enough pockets, you could buy the displays. But, it is Collectors Firearms, so we will see.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Hmmm - I have one of those. Moonpie has seen it. I honestly don't know what it's worth, but I'm willing to sell it. I'd much more having someone use it, than it just sitting in my safe. PM me. I will be out of pocket for the next few days - got dove to shoot - so don't think I'm ghosting you.

toby1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2018
    Llano, Tx
    Hmmm - I have one of those. Moonpie has seen it. I honestly don't know what it's worth, but I'm willing to sell it. I'd much more having someone use it, than it just sitting in my safe. PM me. I will be out of pocket for the next few days - got dove to shoot - so don't think I'm ghosting you.
    Sent, if I did it correctly, thanks, Randy

toby1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2018
    Llano, Tx
    Well, that didn't take long, Thanks to Blktoothgrn I found a good/excellent condition standard grade model 42 at the Collector's Firearms in Austin. While not a skeet grade, It will do what I need it to do (Go bang) What clinched the deal was the fact that it was manufactured in 1959, the year I was born. Plus haggling a little and getting $250. off of the price helped also.

Blktoothgrn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Well, that didn't take long, Thanks to Blktoothgrn I found a good/excellent condition standard grade model 42 at the Collector's Firearms in Austin. While not a skeet grade, It will do what I need it to do (Go bang) What clinched the deal was the fact that it was manufactured in 1959, the year I was born. Plus haggling a little and getting $250. off of the price helped also.
    Congrats! Share some pics when you get a chance!

toby1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2018
    Llano, Tx
    Here is a couple of quick photos. I'll get better photos tomorrow. It has a small piece of what looks to be melted rubber band on the side of the stock
    2UE7HpXm.jpg
    UIeI2Gjm.jpg
    gKvMRk7m.jpg

Attachments

• 20231230_120124.jpg
      20231230_120124.jpg
      614.7 KB · Views: 33
    Last edited:

single stack

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    FL
    Taking my little 42 to sporting clays tomorrow,
    I’ve got some ten times loaded AA’s to shoot and shuck.

CaptHowdy

Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    Houston
    A buddy of mine just bought a model 42 in very good shape in a private sale for $1800.

The seller also brought out a restored skeet model that looked new. He turned down $5K for it.

Top Bottom