• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RevolverGuy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2013
    Plus, there's no such thing as 'Dove Hunting' - It's Dove Shooting.

Which, btw, I was once an avid dove shooter...now, I feed them Black Oil Sunflower Seeds using 3 different bird feeders and wouldn't harm a feather on any of them...this is what happens when you grow older, you can't bear to kill anything any longer.

Yes, Bluejays/American Goldfinches/ (in the winter) Carolina Chickadees/Tufted Tit-Mice (ok, mouse...) even Red Bellied Woodpeckers love the sunflower seeds and a few more I've not listed.

Dove shooting at least requires decent shotgunning skills physical discomfort, squatting at the edge of a field on a 100-degree opening day.

Not quite the same as shooting a stationary deer at a feeder with 6-24 power scoped rifle off of a bench rest from a comfy blind.

Hunting quail on foot in the Cross Timbers is downright brutal. During my many years walking behind dogs, I was lucky if I caught 2 coveys out in the open during an entire 2 month season (which I hunted every weekend.) Mostly they stuck to thick stuff.

On a covey rise, you have maybe a blink of an eye to get a shot off before they escape to even thicker cover that’ll test the determination of man and dog. Wading in to 3-feet deep thickets of dead & dry greenbriar that’ll eat a pair of cotton blue jeans right off of you.

I never came close to limiting out, but loved every minute of it!
    Hurley's Gold

@TX_1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    Rolling Plains of TX
    Dove shooting at least requires decent shotgunning skills physical discomfort, squatting at the edge of a field on a 100-degree opening day.

Not quite the same as shooting a stationary deer at a feeder with 6-24 power scoped rifle off of a bench rest from a comfy blind.

Hunting quail on foot in the Cross Timbers is downright brutal. During my many years walking behind dogs, I was lucky if I caught 2 coveys out in the open during an entire 2 month season (which I hunted every weekend.) Mostly they stuck to thick stuff.

On a covey rise, you have maybe a blink of an eye to get a shot off before they escape to even thicker cover that’ll test the determination of man and dog. Wading in to 3-feet deep thickets of dead & dry greenbriar that’ll eat a pair of cotton blue jeans right off of you.

I never came close to limiting out, but loved every minute of it!
    From time I was 12, I was hunting with the men (my father's friends). We always had a bird dog, I remember one year that dad hunted 47 out of 54 days of quail season. My brother and I learned instinct shooting hunting quail and dove. You never forget those skills. Skeet shooters, never get it.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    honestly there is probably more deer shooting in most of Texas than actualdeer hunting and myself included. deer leases are expensuve but usually worth the money in the long run! landowner's usually limit the number of hunters on their property that are hunting so at least you don't have to worry about50drunk rednects trying to shoot a deer!

Top Bottom