• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    We were considering becoming a member of Lonestar gun, Range. Anybody have any comments, one way or the other?

Thanks in advance for any of your responses
    They take off the current days fee when you buy the membership. It's a good deal if you go more than 6X a year. Go during the week if you can. It gets muddy quickly. If you see something unsafe say something. Follow the safety rules. Don't be too proud to ask for help. Don't be a douche and shoot me in the back.

Welcome to the Forum.

trashpandaTx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2023
    Texas
    Have heard negative feedback second/third hand about Lonestar but take it with a grain of salt. When in Austin would go there regularly and had a great time. Worst complaint I can come up with is on a weekend can get crowded especially when the weather is nice.

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    There's at least 2 ranges with that name. I personally, am good with the one @ Lockhart, but it's been a couple of years since I've been. I went to the one on US183 north of Leander twice in one trip -my 1st time & my last time.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    A small group of us went to LoneStar/Lockhart about a month ago.
    The pistol ranges are okay. They put down concrete so you’re not standing in mud while shooting. You will get in mud setting targets.
    The tables at the rifle ranges suck.
    The range isn’t overrun with range nazi RSO’s.
    It’s alright when the weather is good.

zaitcev

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2019
    Austin, Texas, U.S.A.
    I went to the one on US183 north of Leander twice in one trip -my 1st time & my last time.
    That one was shut down for a while, and re-opened a couple of years back as "Texas Shooting Academy". I have no idea if it's available to walk-ins. I only went there a few times with the Capitol Shooters for IDPA matches. It's an okay pistol range, but has no shade.

zaitcev

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2019
    Austin, Texas, U.S.A.
    A small group of us went to LoneStar/Lockhart about a month ago.
    The pistol ranges are okay. They put down concrete so you’re not standing in mud while shooting. You will get in mud setting targets.
    The tables at the rifle ranges suck.
    The range isn’t overrun with range nazi RSO’s.
    It’s alright when the weather is good.
    Yeah, the mud. Since we're on topic:
    - I hate, loathe, and detest saying the number.
    - Parking is by the rifle range and you basically need to put ear protection on while in the car.
    - Not having an RSO means that other shooters constantly call for lengthy cease-fires in order to set their target stands.
    The biggest upside of that place is that you can rent a tac bay.

AndrewBuda

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 5, 2021
    Texas
    I've shot there quite a bit over the years. When I lived in Kyle I had the yearly membership. It's an acceptable place to burn some rounds but the facilities are limited. Targets only get changed at a ceasefire, birdshot only for shotguns, rifles can only be shot from a bench. They no longer allow full auto to my knowledge. They usually have some steel targets on the .22 range, depending how shot up they are any given week. The folks who run Lonestar are great to deal with though and I wish I made it out more than I do.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    That one was shut down for a while, and re-opened a couple of years back as "Texas Shooting Academy". I have no idea if it's available to walk-ins. I only went there a few times with the Capitol Shooters for IDPA matches. It's an okay pistol range, but has no shade.
    It's Lonestar Range and Academy. It changed owners back circa 2014 (Previously Stan's gun range) and has been open under the new management since. The owner has made some improvements to the place and I enjoy going there. During the week it's not bad, but gets crowded on weekends. The rates are reasonable. $18 for all day the last time I was there. 10% military discount (retired or active) No extra charge for multiple firearms. The only drawback really is the limited number of lanes on the rifle range.

10000 N. Hwy 183, Florence, Tx.

It gets muddy after a rain, but they usually close for a day or two after a heavy rain. RSOs are decent if you're not acting a fool.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom