• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2022
    Houston
    I have an oddball N.E. Westinghouse Mosin Nagant with a 3/4" counterbore already, but it's worn out. Looking for a smith that can bring it down maybe another 1/2" to give it a good crown again without removing the barrel from the action.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I have an oddball N.E. Westinghouse Mosin Nagant with a 3/4" counterbore already, but it's worn out. Looking for a smith that can bring it down maybe another 1/2" to give it a good crown again without removing the barrel from the action.
    I do not believe that's how it works. One thing to remember about a good gunsmith is they are in high demand & have work stacked up on a waiting list. I sent a suppressor booster to one back in June to retreat one with a different thread pitch. In the process of modifying it he said it shattered. That was after 2 months wait. Here I am at 4 months of waiting. And then there will be what it cost.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2022
    Houston
    I do not believe that's how it works. One thing to remember about a good gunsmith is they are in high demand & have work stacked up on a waiting list. I sent a suppressor booster to one back in June to retreat one with a different thread pitch. In the process of modifying it he said it shattered. That was after 2 months wait. Here I am at 4 months of waiting. And then there will be what it cost.
    I'm more looking for recommendations/info, not asking anyone on here to do it right now.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2022
    Houston
    Darn. I'm concerned about this barrel being pried off after being stuck there for almost 100 years. But it and the receiver are witnessed marked if cranking back on is needed anyway.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom