• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    In our "prepper closet" where we keep all the emergency food and supplies, we rotate the items the same way they do in the grocery stores. New stuff goes to the back of the shelf and the stuff that expires the soonest goes to the front and gets used first.
    We also use a black magic marker to write the month/year on items to make it very easy to see when it expires without having to get out the reading glasses.

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    For guns and ammo I use a couple spreadsheets; easiest way to track how many, what I paid, serial numbers, and general photos of each in the event of disaster or I attempt to sell them. The ammo spreadsheet isn't well kept by me so its fairly inaccurate. I made it too easy to grab a couple handfuls of .22, a box of this, a couple boxes of that and the spreadsheet just doesn't get updated. I'm tempted to delete it but certain calibers I have an internal need to keep a minimum reserve. Don't ask. I also keep a spreadsheet of PMs to track how much I originally paid for it, and I can put in a spot price for what I might profit.

For stuff like camping gear, I just have in a central location and have to force myself to put it there every time (just like Christmas and Halloween decorations, thats in another closet.) Tools just go to my toolbox which is nearly full now, but not full enough to justify another tool box. Sometimes its good to set a location for something, gather all that category around the house and put it there. You usually find duplicates and start wondering why you have so many of those duplicates. Perfect example is when I first organized my pantry, why do I have 4 cans of pickled beets? I like beets, I eat them sometimes, but why 4 cans? They're at least together now and I don't have to wonder if I get a craving for beets and buy a 5th can.

Organization is key, consistency is key as well. If you ever fall into the "I'll sort it later" category, you either force yourself to have a Sunday afternoon project a few times a year, or a disheveled mess eventually. Its why I'm trying to force myself into a habit of picking a closet (or storage area) and once a month pull most of it out, sort it, evaluate if I still need this in my life, or in the case of mountain house food check the expiry dates and eat it if its close or done, maybe wonder why did I save this tiny baggy of microscopic screws for something I threw out long ago.

Organization is tough; its why I recommend my method of just pick a closet/room/space/toolbox, take everything out, clean it, evaluate it, organize it, and even inventory it if its important enough. Nice part about spreadsheets is someone else has already created a template for whatever you're probably inventorying or trying to keep track of.

paknheat

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2022
    Texas, Somewhere near Palestine
    I didn’t know this would be such a heated thread.

6ba4b195aa083a17e6d0bc028da1e80d.gif

You’ll get used to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Top Bottom