• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Been wanting an AR-10 for a while and saw Palmetto had some under $1k. Ended up going with this one. And picked it up today.

No issues with the fit/finish. Stock is pretty basic but does have an extra lock on it that takes the rattle out. Was very pleased that they didn’t LocTite the birdcage flash hider. They did leave out the Allen wrench for the adjustable gas block. Might see if they will send me one, but I have plenty laying around the house.

Weight wasn’t bad at all (but I run my AR heavy so might be biased) but pretty front heavy. Comes with a 20” heavy barrel. Add in the scope and it’s definitely not something I want to free hand, but don’t plan to shoot it that way anyways.

The rail is Mlok and everything else I have is KeyMod so couldn’t mount my bipod. Also left my rear bag somewhere. Probably find it in the last place I look. But, rain had passed and a new rifle needs to be shot.

Grabbed a box of Hornady Black 140gr and went to lay out on the wet ground. Cows had tore down the target stand so got it set back up, a little off the berm to avoid the standing water. Ended up with a 95 yard shot.

Fired 3 rounds, adjusted the scope, and fired 2 more.
    CAD16BC4-DD19-42F6-95B6-FD0A21A2C2D1.jpeg

Loaded up 5 more to see how it would hold up. The last 2 were great but I didn’t expect to keep that, I wasn’t stable enough. Still, I’m pleased with the results.
    2FB43A2E-B16A-4C6D-ACE9-2DDEE0959124.jpeg

Recoil was pretty mild. But with the weight of the rifle, plus the can I didn’t expect much.

So far I’m pretty happy with what I got for the price. Ended up around $1200 after taxes, shipping, and transfer.

I adjusted the gas block afterwards, it seems to be over gassed pretty good, especially with the can on it. Will find my rear bag and get a bipod adapter mounted before the next round and post the results. I’m expecting it to tighten up without all my wobbling around.
    9D0A2781-7501-4378-98C1-A9D569AF3431.jpeg

7E045D5C-F11F-4499-AE13-2EB7812350E9.jpeg
    Texas SOT

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I think I would be happy with that too. My diamondback shoots about the same but I'm re-barreling it here soon. Bumping it from 18-20" with a BA modern series barrel. Just hoping to go from 1.5" to 1 consistently. It actually shot it's best group with Hornady black.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Magpul PRS or UBR stock would help to add some weight to the rear.

Good looking rifle.

I want to keep the stock adjustable. My AR is the same. Went with a LuthAR stock on it so I could collapse it down for my daughter.

Everything is a trade off.

I think I would be happy with that too. My diamondback shoots about the same but I'm re-barreling it here soon. Bumping it from 18-20" with a BA modern series barrel. Just hoping to go from 1.5" to 1 consistently. It actually shot it's best group with Hornady black.

My RPR is pretty happy with Hornady Black. I noticed it was pretty dirty compared to some other handloads I had to try out. Lots of carbon left pretty far back on the cases compared to the handloads.

I’ve got a couple of test loads with 147gr ELD-Ms I’m going to run through it and see what happens, but no intention of burning through much powder on load workup. Just curious. Plan to use it more for utility than bragging rights as a precision long range hole punch.

I’m going to work up a load for hogs with Barnes TSX and varmints using 95gr VMax. As long as I get reasonable accuracy from those I’m good with it.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Considered Hornady SST's instead of the Barnes? About 1/2 the cost.

Have had really good experience with weight retention on the Barnes in .308 and 300B0. And good expansion with the 300BO even at about 300 yards where the velocity had dropped off.

Not saying anything is wrong with SSTs, but I trust the Barnes from past experience.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    @Younggun UBR is collapsible, but pricey.
    Yeah, looks like it needs some other specific parts to work. This one came with the Magpul STR.

It’s not as loose as a regular collapsible stock. Don’t think it will be worth upgrading for my use. It’s got a couple tubes that look like they were made for AA battery storage I could probably fill those cavities with cast lead or something to balance it out a little better.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Tested the handloads today. It was muddy as hell and my mat is wet so I picked up a shitty folding table from Walmart. Don’t do that. They’re anything but stable.

Still, I’m happy the the results.

The 40.5gr H4350 under 147gr ELD-M gave me just under MOA for a 5 shot group including one I knew was bad when the trigger broke.
    835315BD-B85E-445F-B4C6-7925AA5589CF.png

The second group was 41gr of 4350. I let the suppressor cool for a little bit between the groups and when I set back down it seemed like there was nothing I could do to stop the lateral movement so I just tried to time it. I figured the spread should be at least 50% less, but just going to have to find a better stable solution for load testing.

3091F86F-E4D3-4E80-8788-5B82FB57BC32.png

No idea how fast these are moving. Still .8gr under listed max. Took the chronograph but the 1/4” screw was missing from the tripod when I went to set it up. I imagine the SDs aren’t great.

Don’t think I could ask for anything more out of a $1,050 AR-10. At the very least it will keep the majority vast of rounds sub MOA with a handload. Someday I will get my range fixed back up with a good bench and try again.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Nice Im considering buying a 308 semi from PSA. Still happy with it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I didn’t get the Allen wrench that was supposed to be included for the adjustable gas block. Probably a $2 value lost.

Otherwise it’s doing everything I would expect, probably more given where it sits in pricing. I’ve only got about 60 rounds through it at this point, but no complaints so far.

Top Bottom