• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    Grand Thumb takes down the bad guys in this virtual training event. I am sure the pucker factor is up a notch or two even without any live rounds fired.

Who do you think would benefit best from this training any and all or just those most likely to encounter the threat?

DK Firearms

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    Grand Thumb takes down the bad guys in this virtual training event. I am sure the pucker factor is up a notch or two even without any live rounds fired.

Who do you think would benefit best from this training any and all or just those most likely to encounter the threat?

He's also an Ex tier 1 operator. A little bit above your average shooter.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    He's also an Ex tier 1 operator. A little bit above your average shooter.

No, he’s not. He’s a prior-E SERE instructor and currently a TACP officer (my old career field).

I’ve done the FATS stuff before and it’s okay, most of the scenarios are ROE/RUF shoot/don’t shoot scenarios, not tailored towards self-D/defense of others scenarios. Force on force simunition scenarios are much more realistic, force on force MILES laser tag is somewhere in between.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    No, he’s not. He’s a prior-E SERE instructor and currently a TACP officer (my old career field).

I’ve done the FATS stuff before and it’s okay, most of the scenarios are ROE/RUF shoot/don’t shoot scenarios, not tailored towards self-D/defense of others scenarios. Force on force simunition scenarios are much more realistic, force on force MILES laser tag is somewhere in between.

TACP is a tier 1 special forces job with the 24th STS?

popsgarland

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    DFW area
    The US Air Force has no “tiered” special operations units, acknowledged or otherwise and despite what wikipedia says. The 724 STG, which 24STS is organized under, is a JSOC gained organization.

Mike’s presence is too public for him to be selected.

My SIL was sniper in the Air Force, so they do have some units that they don't talk about.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I guess I misunderstood your statement.
    I read it as the Air Force doesn't do anything but fly.
    I was just stating that they have other units within that
    does more than fly.

No; I spent the majority of my AF career in very Army looking squadrons doing very Army things. I’m intimately familiar with the Air Force’s ground combat and special operations capabilities.

If I was guessing and purely on statistics, your son-in-law was Security Forces; they have the preponderance of designated marksmen, the only dedicated precision engagement mission, and the most Ranger-qualified airmen. Going further, he was likely with 820th SFG (more recently, BDG) or CRG. There are some other options, but incredibly small in number compared to SecFo.

popsgarland

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    DFW area
    It's been so long ago that this happened and I think it was in Afghanistan
    where our embassy was bombed. SIL was there, went in several times and pulled/carried some of the injured people out of the highly damaged building. He did this with quite a lot of shrapnel in him, which he still has some in
    his back. For his saving several people he received the Silver Star With V. and you are probably right about his unit being the SecFo.

I have read his citation and it's very impressive.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    The US Air Force has no “tiered” special operations units, acknowledged or otherwise and despite what wikipedia says. The 724 STG, which 24STS is organized under, is a JSOC gained organization.

Mike’s presence is too public for him to be selected.

I thought he's retired from the Air Force at this point, is he still in? I thought he's been out for a while doing the civilian thing.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I thought he's retired from the Air Force at this point, is he still in? I thought he's been out for a while doing the civilian thing.

That would be…different timing. Usually prior-E’s do at least 10 years commissioned service prior to retiring so they can retire at their O-whatever rank/paygrade. He’s about halfway through that time by now, based on the post below.

5 ASOS is the TACP unit out of Lewis, aligned to 2ID. I’ll ask my wife to look him up on the GAL later today (she’s a DAF civilian) and see what’s there.
    f0351e5f433d3b3ca089f4c942554f7b.jpg

KenJ4070

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2024
    San Antonio, TX

Everyone could benefit from such training. Albeit, a good trainer would be able to contextualize the training into a way that is graspable and relevant to the trainee.

For LEO, being forced to react to as-realistic-as-possible situations enables the individual to be able to better-recognize/react to such situations in the future. Arguably, the mental work required for a person to know when they should/should-not react can be a rather lengthy portion of the decision making process...only after-which that person's training (or lack thereof) would kick-in. Someone can train pistol-draws forever. But if they don't do the mental work required to help them to know WHEN to employ that training...they could still be well behind the power-curve as the situation develops around and on them.

For Civilians, being forced to react to as-realistic-as-possible situations enables the individual to be able to...well...everything I described for the LEO (for anyone who wants to develop that mindset). But, if nothing else, it will help more people to better understand the great difficulty faced by LEOs in reacting to ever-evolving situations. I'm all about rights. I'm also about giving LEOs a break, understanding that they're human, understanding that most of them are decent people who have an extremely difficult job.

Top Bottom