• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    When I was shopping last I checked the date on the pork bellies> They had todays date, so I got up early & made the 40 minute ride taking a gamble. Sure enough a hole in the regular place that they go & 3 of them down in the mark down section.

I might just have to fix one fresh smoked instead of curing it for bacon. While I was checking out there was a lady who asked what they were & what I do with them. No real commotion because they were still pretty high.
    Gun Zone Deals

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Me too. Bought some Nolan Ryan beef for $3 this week. Not $3 a pound.

Last edited:

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I check the clearance bin at my market every time I go there. They had lobster tail the other day. It was too expensive, and I passed. Went back the other day and they were half off. Bought all 4 packages.
    I'd be very careful with seafood. Especially with shellfish. All the years I worked around a seafood counter I still have nightmares about stinking fish. So much of the lobster tails sold in America are warm water tails often out of the Persian gulf.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'd be very careful with seafood. Especially with shellfish. All the years I worked around a seafood counter I still have nightmares about stinking fish. So much of the lobster tails sold in America are warm water tails often out of the Persian gulf.
    I have a good nose. If it doesn't smell right, I don't buy.

Thanks for the heads up!

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Now you are just trying to ruin my good time.
    I worked for 36 years in retail Meat & Seafood. Most all of that time I was a certified Food Handler by the City of Houston. I'm not trying to ruin your good time rather try & educate you about something I know a great deal about.

The thing about lobster tails are the for the most part a frozen product. There are cold water lobsters America's east coast into Canada, and warm water&warm water lobsters do not have the front claws. With Valentines quickly approaching Lobsters & tail tend to go on sale. The majority of the smaller tails (4-6 ounces)are imported. Where they come from is the most important thing. Then comes the whole deal of from harvest to table & how it was handled. I have seen lots of freezer burnt tails getting blown out before Valentines Day. Lots of year old product being rotated out. A year is a long time when considering how the product has been store & transported around.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I worked for 36 years in retail Meat & Seafood. Most all of that time I was a certified Food Handler by the City of Houston. I'm not trying to ruin your good time rather try & educate you about something I know a great deal about.

The thing about lobster tails are the for the most part a frozen product. There are cold water lobsters America's east coast into Canada, and warm water&warm water lobsters do not have the front claws. With Valentines quickly approaching Lobsters & tail tend to go on sale. The majority of the smaller tails (4-6 ounces)are imported. Where they come from is the most important thing. Then comes the whole deal of from harvest to table & how it was handled. I have seen lots of freezer burnt tails getting blown out before Valentines Day. Lots of year old product being rotated out. A year is a long time when considering how the product has been store & transported around.
    Nah, man. I appreciate the knowledge. To be honest, I didn't know there was even warm water lobster. I guess I can't expect high quality seafood from a small grocery store in a small West Texas town.

Thanks Baboon

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania

Am so glad I am highly allergic to bait.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Nah, man. I appreciate the knowledge. To be honest, I didn't know there was even warm water lobster. I guess I can't expect high quality seafood from a small grocery store in a small West Texas town.

Thanks Baboon
    You might do better then the big city nation chain that has the hire quotas instead of employees. The place that I shop does not have a seafood counter with seafood on ice. They have a small section of the meat case next to chickens. I generally would not but marked dow poultry & seafood for the amount of bacteria it has.

Talk to the people who work with the seafood & ask what their markdown policy is on seafood. I will tell you that "Fresh Farm Raised Atlantic Salmon" from Chile was excepted into our warehouse up until 21 days after it was processed. Figure it could spend another couple days in the warehouse before hitting the store.
    cold. Bacteria goes crazy when product is in the danger zone.

You do realize most food poisoning cannot be tracked in many cases because that product has moved on thru to the consumer?

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania

Thanks Baboon
    Lots of folk go after them in the Keys....

They snorkel/net them...

In Maine, they either use "lobstah pots" or dive/net them...diving is a bit "edgy" in Maine...!! The locals call them "sea spidahs" (spiders)

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    For the longest time lobsters in Maine were looked at as trash. They were fed to convicts until it was deemed cruel & unusual punishment.

At a grand opening of a store I had a 26 pound lobster in the lobster tank. IIRC the price propound was $3.99 per pound back then.

I was also the last store the live lobster guy delivered to. I'd get off around the time he came & he would give me the ones that died during that days delivery. I was a newlywed at the time & the wife loved lobster night.

Then next thing you knew the bark eaters started complaining about the sale of live lobsters & it even went towards shellfish like mussels, clams & oysters in the shell. Then all the lobster tanks disappeared. They were a PITA anyway.

Top Bottom