• ...and so much more!
  • db_tanker

Pig Whisperer
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 13, 2024
    Willis, TX
    So the thread title says it all. Mentioned that I was planning on experimenting with Fiocchi SPP in 10 rounds of 223 loaded up with 10gr of Blue Dot and a 55 gr. vanilla FMJ-BT.Some expected sooting around the necks since it is nearly a cat-sneeze load (it is with a can). More importantly the primers did not pierce on any of the 10 rounds. EVEN more importantly the dang round actually kept about 3" in a blasted 20mph crazy wind at Trinity Armory (weather man made me angry...they said light to no wind...)

Not going to lie I came late to the game with Blue Dot loads but if you are running handloads in anything not self-loading that Blue Dot is some AWESOME stuff for gallery and plinking.

I'm probably not going to be using those SPP in my 223 loads since I do have a bolt as well as an AR in 223 and fear any kind of mixing. Plus I do load ALOT of 38 special. BUT...knowing it is possible is kinda cool!

223 spp loads.png

D
    Military Camp

xkon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2020
    Houston
    What kind of velocity does that load even get? Blue dot I used to use for some handgun loads but didn't like the way it metered and it was very flashy.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I had posted in a different thread about a commercial reloader I know who had a few 223 standard loads set off with CCI magnum pistol primers. Really no issues, although primer cup thickness is always brought up in the discussion. Not sure I would do the same with federals.

Personally, I've always been chicken about running pistol powder in a rifle round, mainly because I've read about various detonations over the years when it's not done right. Also I don't run any cans so I don't get much benefit from it. Congratulations on your discovery! It's probably the best part of reloading, discovering something new you can do with your ammo.

db_tanker

Pig Whisperer
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 13, 2024
    Willis, TX
    What kind of velocity does that load even get? Blue dot I used to use for some handgun loads but didn't like the way it metered and it was very flashy.
    I've chrono'd that load (11 gr) at about 2000 fps (magneto speed sporter) from my 16" Ruger Ranch bolt rifle. I've taken it down to subsonic but couldn't get a good read from the chrono as it has a 1000 fps minimum.

I'd highly suggest doing your own research however since there are many sources for data on the net. And of course all this is at your own risk.

Many advocate that Trailboss, 4198, 2400 and 4227 are the safer way to go and it is. But knowledge of alternatives is also good to have in your back-pocket. Especially when you have several pounds of Blue Dot. Plus the fact that BD allows me to mimic a 22 short or long, 22 hornet or go right back to 223 levels. The Burris has a nice bullet drop reticle that matches with these loads so I lucked out there.

The other powders listed I've tried and all have given good performance however they were significantly louder. Trailboss was subsonic but still gave a pretty healthy report - noticeably louder than the BD

D

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    Try out Titegroup sometime, it works for lower velocity rifle loads as well. I preferred it over Blue Dot bevause it meters better and showed a lower SD across multiple rifle cartridges in my testing.

Top Bottom