• ...and so much more!
  • rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    Ok so here’s a dumb question but whatever. Not like it’s surprising

On Saturday I shot with a church group and we did 3-5y target warmups, then 3-15y target quals, then a course with running and 5-15y targets. Constant drawing from the holster, reloads, and the last course had malfunctions testing. It was facilitated by a couple ex-SWAT guys.

What type of training could I do that would be similar? Like real world gun fighting/defensive stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Gun Zone Deals

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia

On Saturday I shot with a church group and we did 3-5y target warmups, then 3-15y target quals, then a course with running and 5-15y targets. Constant drawing from the holster, reloads, and the last course had malfunctions testing. It was facilitated by a couple ex-SWAT guys.

What type of training could I do that would be similar? Like real world gun fighting/defensive stuff.

Is this for a church security group? Or just guys training together for funsies? If its an organized security group - contact Orion Training Group or Kinetic Concepts Group. Either should be able to hook you up with realistic training.

I had Brad and an assistant from Kinetic Concepts come and provide an active shooter response course for me in my role as security for a private Christian school. Its not cheap - the class was $800 since it was just for me (I'm it for the security for the school) - should be cheaper for a group ($400-500 per person)

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania

Lots of good video.

Miss Kelly Pidgeon is a good trainer..she shoots really good, too!

Believe her channel is ARMED & FEMININE

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    Is this for a church security group? Or just guys training together for funsies? If its an organized security group - contact Orion Training Group or Kinetic Concepts Group. Either should be able to hook you up with realistic training.

I had Brad and an assistant from Kinetic Concepts come and provide an active shooter response course for me in my role as security for a private Christian school. Its not cheap - the class was $800 since it was just for me (I'm it for the security for the school) - should be cheaper for a group ($400-500 per person)

It is for a security group. We train once a month at Defender Outoodrs (indoor range), working on accuracy, drawing, low light, and small course.

I just loved being outdoors with some SWAT guys and the weather definitely helped as well lol.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    It is for a security group. We train once a month at Defender Outoodrs (indoor range), working on accuracy, drawing, low light, and small course.

I just loved being outdoors with some SWAT guys and the weather definitely helped as well lol.

For sure hit up Orion or Kinetic Concepts then. Both are Texas based. Another option would be Hill Country Combatives, another Texas based group.

I'm sure they can tailor something like what you're talking about - but they can also tailor up force on force training IN the facility, so you get more realistic training in the environment that you're most likely to use it in.

When Kinetic Concepts came out and did active shooter response, they came to our church / school (school is run out of a church) and we did 4.5 hours of scenarios and 3 hours of academic portion (slide show / lecture / discussion that covers statistics, profiles of likely active shooters, gear selection, medical, tactics etc.) Brad (the owner / chief instructor) is active duty LE, former SWAT, and stresses accuracy vs volume. He calls the scenario work "exploiting accuracy" and pushes you to actually use sighted fire for accurate hits vs shooting in a general direction. When people you know and care about are the back stop, that becomes really, really important.

I would drop an email to all of them, give them an idea of what y'all are looking for and see what they can do for you.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border

I have heard of, been trained in, practiced and and taught malfunction drills but never heard of "malfunction testing" what is that?

Were any of the ex-SWAT guys actually certified firearms instructors? If not then you may want to get some trainining by someone actually qualified to train you. While you can train just about anyone not everyone has been trained to train.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Defensive shooting is the broad category; while it’s turned into a bit of a game, IDPA would be another place to look, especially at coaches in that discipline.
    There are a TON of run and gun matches in Texas.

They are less "gamey" than idpa and they will push your fitness and your shooting skill as OEDefense, WTF and Mystery Ops all do blind or mostly blind stages OE wont even tell you a good round count other than "about 50 hits" or "60 hits"

I HIGHLY recommend them.

Oedefense.com hosted a match in Palestine at Dead Cat Ranch this last weekend and their next match is in January, followed by a new "forced march" format in February.

I DNF'd about half the stages of my first match, ammo management (i.e. didn't bring enough ammo for my accuracy) was a part as was not shooting and moving urgently urgently to get hits within the stage time limit. Since then, I've finished near the top of the leaders a few times, so if you stick with it and humble yourself and learn, you will improve with massive strides. I only rarely shoot between matches except for a quick zero if I swap scopes or ammo.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk
    2d302eb6b9cc387d3e9720b767da5450.jpg
    8c611a42b4f76827ddc9709bbd2b1fd7.jpg

Last edited:

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    There are a TON of run and gun matches in Texas.

They are less "gamey" than idpa and they will push your fitness and your shooting skill as OEDefense, WTF and Mystery Ops all do blind or mostly blind stages OE wont even tell you a good round count other than "about 50 hits" or "60 hits"

I HIGHLY recommend them.

Oedefense.com hosted a match in Palestine at Dead Cat Ranch this last weekend and their next match is in January, followed by a new "forced march" format in February.

I DNF'd about half the stages of my first match, ammo management (i.e. didn't bring enough ammo for my accuracy) was a part as was not shooting and moving urgently urgently to get hits within the stage time limit. Since then, I've finished near the top of the leaders a few times, so if you stick with it and humble yourself and learn, you will improve with massive strides. I only rarely shoot between matches except for a quick zero if I swap scopes or ammo.

2d302eb6b9cc387d3e9720b767da5450.jpg
    8c611a42b4f76827ddc9709bbd2b1fd7.jpg

This is what Ive wanted to get into but damn I don't know that my fitness is good enough and I'm running 2 miles a day right now.

TexaSOT

Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2023
    Arlington, Tx
    A lot of good info in here already. ETTS range has a good course calendar as well, and they host some of their own training, and outside trainers and I believe Costa Ludas has a pistol class at their range sometime in Jan maybe? Sage Dynamics also has a pistol class within the next few months around the Houston area I think (I would check their website to be sure, don't quote me on these dates). But to summarize, yes good certified training from a professional trainer would be good, they will cover all the topics you're bringing up, however on occasion some low light training classes are dedicated to only low light...like 2-3 days of low light shooting, so keep that in mind.

Outside of that, it's just burning reps. No cheat codes to it. dry fire is your best friend, even for malfunction drills, clearing, etc. Practice the draw, sight picture, repeatable point of aim, working the trigger, riding the wall, etc.

If your security group has a leader, or someone who's in charge, I would highly recommend they also attend the https://www.shootersymposium.com/ it's 3 days, 10 different instructors and you can pick which instructor/class you want for each day. Great place to "preview" a lot of different training styles and techniques and see what might be the best fit for your team. It takes place first week of April, so it's a little ways out, but something worth thinking about.

The shooting sports side can also be very beneficial. It may not "teach" you as much in terms of shooting fundamentals, but the experience and comfort you gain with moving and shooting, manipulating the gun through different scenarios and obstacles is fantastic, and....it helps you burn more reps.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    This is what Ive wanted to get into but damn I don't know that my fitness is good enough and I'm running 2 miles a day right now.
    Run what you can, walk what you have to. Focus on the shooting and compare run times to others as motivation to train. Just remember slower runs are better for training and avoiding injury.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Busy rookies
    Top Bottom